Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting an export brace in my 65 GT and have searched like crazy to see what other people do. All my bolt holes line up no problem so that's not the issue. The issue is the cowl lip pinch weld upturn. The export brace doesn't sit flat on the top of the cowl pinchweld because the lip has a 90 degree up turn on the edge the length of it. I've never seen any other post where someone has commented on this. So do I just bolt it up and tighten and expect the lip to bend where the export brace makes contact or do I pre-bend that section down where it makes contact. I feel like it's small enough and thick enough it will just bend the whole pinch weld downwards and not the upturn. IMG_7999.JPG

·
Dimples
4,845 Posts
Strange. If memory serves, there is no lip like that on my car where the export brace meets it.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Beat it flat in that area with a hammer and dolly, then install your brace. Just torqueing the bolts down as is may cause the brace to bend. An alternative would be to fab up a shim plate the thickness of the lip that would raise the brace for clearance.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Tightening the bolts will solve the problem. Since I have the reinforcement bracket, I did not have this problem.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The upturned lip does not run the entire length of my 66 either...the whole middle section was flat(more of it is flat now after I patched that area)

Reactions: 66Ccode

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Beat it flat in that area with a hammer and dolly, then install your brace. Just torqueing the bolts down as is may cause the brace to bend. An alternative would be to fab up a shim plate the thickness of the lip that would raise the brace for clearance.
Not likely, unless the brace is a real piece of junk. And of course as I mentioned, the reinforcement acts as a spacer.

·
Dimples
4,845 Posts
I just googled “Mustang export brace install” and looked at images. None of them appear to have the upturned lip that your photo shows.

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I tried that too but I couldn't see a great close up definitive photo. Pretty sure the lip is original though. I've had the car for 30 years and did a ground up resto it was a total rust free car except for a pin hole in the trunk so I'm confident the cowl is original. I would have thought it was there as a drip rail as factory?

I thought about a shim like the reinforcement plate. I don't really want to beat on it and flatten it and chip all the paint off but I guess no matter what I do beside a shim, the paint is going to get chipped off.

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Hmmm… Here's a few-

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you. I was googling wrong I guess. Well that shows the lip on the second photo for sure to the left of the export brace and zooming in you can see the reinforcement plate underneath the export brace to take up the space.

Googling 65 engine bays instead of export brace install I have found a few more with lips on them. I think I'll just go with a spacer the length of the export brace.

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
Also, FWIW... one thing I noticed when I removed my export brace for body and paint was that a) the holes in the cowl had elongated slightly, front to rear, tell-tale of some front "flex" and that the holes in the export brace were drilled larger than the OE bolts. I said "pisser on that" and re-drilled the holes through both to 7/16 inch and used Grade 8 7/16-20 bolts and nuts sandwiching the cowl sheet metal between the reinforcement plate and export brace and tightened to 75 lb/ft.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
So am I the only one that noticed that in every picture posted the brace is bolted under the cowl? But everyone’s talking about doing it from above? Is there something I’m missing lol?

·
Registered
35,922 Posts
So am I the only one that noticed that in every picture posted the brace is bolted under the cowl? But everyone’s talking about doing it from above? Is there something I’m missing lol?
None of the pictures show an export brace. They all show the factory 2-piece shock tower braces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2x on the shim plate.
IMHO, beating the lip flat, tightening the bolts to fold over the lip are not solutions.

I had the same situation on my 63 Fairlane. Did not want to bend the cowl lip. Fabed up an 1/8" plate to fit between the cowl and export brace and also made one for under the cowl to "sandwich" and spread the clamping load.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
759 Posts
None of the pictures show an export brace. They all show the factory 2-piece shock tower braces.
Oh..thank you for that information I didn’t know there was a difference so export brace goes on top the factory 2-piece goes under?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts