Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these are about as common as hen's teeth, but I am in the market for a Bendix brake booster spacer for my 1967 coupe. I am located in North Georgia, and local pickup would be ideal. If not I will pay a good price plus shipping. This is the large stamped steel spacer that goes between the Bendix booster and the firewall. I think it has 6 bolt holes plus the large center hole. Help if you can! :shrug:

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
if you do not have the booster yet, buy a midland booster as it has the spacer built on it. the master & booster are available from any auto parts store.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I was getting a great deal on the Bendix booster, but I may change plans and pay the extra money for the Midland. I also see advertisements for brand new aftermarket units with the spacer that may be worth considering.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think orginally 67 thru early 69 had Midland boosters (with the band) and no spacer required. In 69 they changed to Bendix and used a spacer. 70 was a change again in the pushrod, 67 thru 69 push rod had a tear drop shape on the end and 70 was straight making 1/2 difference where it mounted to the brake pedal. Make sure you do your homework before you start mixing pieces. I think the Midland would be a better choice for you. I have both styles of boosters if you need pictures, don't know how to post pictures on the forum.
The spacer you are looking for is shaped like the state of Minnesota and has 5thru holes for studs and one clearance hole for a bolt to bolt to the firewall.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
The Midland is the correct booster. Be careful about supplier listings. I ordered a Midland booster for my 68 two years ago. The supplier listed the Midland and the Bendix for my Stang (Midland is correct Bendix is cheap substitute). Paid for the Midland booster online couple days later a Bendix booster arrived. Not only did they substitute the Bendix but made no refund on the cheaper Bendix. They apologized, took the Bendix back paying for return shipping and "sent a Midland". The "Midland" arrived and guess what...another Bendix! Back on the phone...explaination was the rebuilder ran out of Midland cores so subtitutes the Bendix for the Midland!!! I had a hard time being civil as I explained if I go to a resteurant and order tenderloin, they ran out of tenderloin so substitute soup meat without comment and are surprized if I notice?!

Slem

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not having a lot of luck finding a Midland booster for a reasonable price. I actually found a spacer available at Kentucky Mustang, but it costs 50 bucks. :crybaby:

I can fabricate one out of some extra transmission crossmembers I already have, unless there are better suggestions out there.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
go to discountautoparts.com, they have the midland unit w/master complete under 200 bucks this is were I get mine from.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not to highjack the thread, but is there a spacer required between the MC & Midland Booster? It appears so and I have no idea of a template or place to get one. Anyone else out here who may be able to help me out on a template or vendor?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
if you do not have the booster yet, buy a midland booster as it has the spacer built on it. the master & booster are available from any auto parts store.
Yes, 1000% correct!!

We have these in stock daily.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I would throw this out for future VMF generations. I am a novice fabricator, but I was able to make a simple spacer for my Bendix booster. I made a pattern with nice straight lines so it could be cut and bent easily, and I cut it out of an old seat platform.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then I bent all the sides to form the rough shape ready for welding...

After MIG welding and grinding, I had some fun making all the holes. I primed it and applied semi-gloss engine paint. The edges on the right side needed to be ground a little to clear the contour of the firewall. This is how it turned out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts