Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was at a car show last night and saw a couple 66 coupe's (like mine) with tach's mounted on the steering column.

It looked kind of cool and got me to thinking (with the new engine rebuild being completed in a few weeks and with some extra added HP and higher RPM cam (up to 6500 RPM) do I need a Tach? I have always shifted by ear.

So....my question is : How practicle is a tach mounted on the steering column (visability and shifting range) and if the answer is good, how do you wire one up (where do they go to) ?

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It kind of depends on how you mount it on the column, in my 67, I mounted on the right side of the column since I dont need to see the factory gauges there(I have a slew of autometer gauges under the stereo) It's nice when you need to check your idle, or if you race, I noticed I had a tendency to focus on my Tach when running the 1/4 mile. Wiring is simple, just 4 wires, Red=ignition, Black=ground, White=lighting, Green=negative side of coil.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I've got a steering column tach on my 66. It's a small one, so it blocks my view of the odometer part of the speedo, but not the speedo needle. I've seen folks mount larger tachs on the column that block most of the speedo.

Mine is illuminated, so in addition to wiring it to the coil for the tach signal, I also had to find a hot to wire to that's hooked up to the dash light dimmer circuit. Under my dash I found an unused bullet plug hooked to this circuit and used it. In my opinion, the tach looks good, works good and was a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
You can get tachs with very bright "shift lights" that get your attention when your engine reaches the rpm limit you set on a knob on the tach.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I've got an Autometer 2 5/8" tach on my column, you can see it on my page. It's fairly low profile. Since I spin it to 7k every now and then it's nice to have. It also doubles as my speedometer since I never got around to changing the gear in the tranny, I just go by RPMs. I can still see the speedo, though. PM me if you want a straight on pic.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked at your website....man what an engine! 7000 RPM is serious stuff.

I'm kinda building and engine close to yours but not quite as strong. But... I had a couple quick questions (and value your feedback):

With the new added HP are you able to run stock rubber motor mounts and did you have to weld in sub-frame connectors?

Also, do you need traction bars? And with the higher gear ratio (3:55 -1) how is your top end with the C4 Tranny?

I have a regular rear gear but it is worn out and I want to replace it. I am going to have to decide between 3:00-1, 3:25-1 or 3:55-1. My concern is traction, wheel hop and not being able to Highway Drive.

It looks like you have built quite the machine but I can't see the structural stuff and don't know what's really needed or not.

Thanks, Greg.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I have a small SunPro tach mounted on my steering column. I mounted off-centered to the left of the top of the steering column. It looks good and doesn't block any gauges that way.

I look at my tach more than my speedo.

Just an added to note in hooking them up. If you have an MSD6-AL, such as I do, the tach MUST hook to the MSD, not to the coil.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I'm running SPAX shocks, Milodyne bushings,and Canadian Mustang 5-leaf springs in the rear, it's a little bumpy. I need to add a sway bar or a Watts-linkage to handle the torque steer. I have subframe connectors but I haven't put 'em on yet. I need to work on my suspension when I have the time and money. . . I'm not into doing burnouts, so I can't comment on wheel hop. I usually ease into the throttle and roast 'em when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm turning around 4k at 80 mph, I wouldn't go any lower than 3.55 with the C4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts