Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Evening,
This is the top of the Z bar that connects to the push rod on the clutch pedal. Is it supposed to be bent towards the engine like this?

This is on a 67 in line 6.

The other day a pin snapped on my pedal assembly and I learned that the whole assembly was being pulled apart by some tension from the pin furthest to the passenger side to the clutch push rod. wondering if this is what's causing the rod to pull on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 67 z bar but I can't imagine that is normal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
you might want to go to CJ Pony Parts and look up 1967 zbar to see an image of the 1967 zbar. Your zbar might be fine. I have a 1969 mustang. My zbar is similar but not exactly the same. I had a problem when my lower clutch rod snapped in half a month ago. The issue was that the bushings for the zbar had worn out which allowed the zbar not be held in proper position which caused it to break. There is a theead i here or 69stang.com that goes into detail about it with a lot of helpful advice from other members.

·
Registered
930 Posts
you might want to go to CJ Pony Parts and look up 1967 zbar to see an image of the 1967 zbar. Your zbar might be fine. I have a 1969 mustang. My zbar is similar but not exactly the same. I had a problem when my lower clutch rod snapped in half a month ago. The issue was that the bushings for the zbar had worn out which allowed the zbar not be held in proper position which caused it to break. There is a theead i here or 69stang.com that goes into detail about it with a lot of helpful advice from other members.
Its for an I6, which I don't find anyone selling. That's why I was hoping to find a reference pic to compare to.

We are hoping to get it working long enough to get through the next project to replace the engine and install the hydraulic clutch. The new 302 is currently at the machine shop getting cleaned up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
View attachment 737144
Evening,
This is the top of the Z bar that connects to the push rod on the clutch pedal. Is it supposed to be bent towards the engine like this?

This is on a 67 in line 6.

The other day a pin snapped on my pedal assembly and I learned that the whole assembly was being pulled apart by some tension from the pin furthest to the passenger side to the clutch push rod. wondering if this is what's causing the rod to pull on the clutch pedal.
Post a picture of the z bar mount on the frame rail and engine. It should be close to level. The bushings in the rod may be worn out.

yarb

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
I would say the end of that Z bar is bent out of whack and a new clutch rod bushing will be needed too.
Just to expand on what I already said, the upper end of that Z bar should be perpendicular to the end of the clutch rod, and it's way off, like 10-12 degrees looks like. It's also twisted, way off there too. I highly doubt that the horizontal connecting shaft below could possibly be causing either issue to that extent, even sans bushings at all down there. So, the upper long length of that bar is bent upwards not allowing a right angle connection to the rod, and it's twisted away from making a good seat with a bushing on the rod as well. Aren't these very types of Z bars notorious for this sort of thing over time? I was under the impression they are. You could get a good used one on fleabay, always some for sale there. Or you could bend the thing back shipshape and it'll be okay at least temporarily (which is what you say you need). A new clutch rod bushing is in order either way. That's what I'm seeing in that pic, and my '68 had that exact same connection when I bought it.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Notice the rubber seal in the firewall is pulled toward the engine. Worn bushings, even sagging motor mounts, don't explain that much misalignment. I would remove the equalizer, replace the bushings, felt seals, and pivots as needed, straighten out the bend in the equalizer, and reinstall. Good time for new bushings on both ends of the upper pushrod, too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I did some looking at pictures of original zbars and his is definitely bent. He was working on hammering it back to a usable alignment this morning to get it moving again at least. The issue is definitely the z-bar is no longer like original. Hard to say if the PO did something or what, but it's bent in all kinds of unnatural directions.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I found a picture from before changing anything when I was looking to replace the steering box. Notice the twist in the bar. It's also no longer straight. The top should also angle further down and be nearly horizontal by the time it reaches the 90 degree turn for the push rod to attach to. I guess I missed this when going over it originally since I haven't had a z-bar clutch before.

DSC_0039.jpg

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is the Z-bar similar to this? Then there are some pics to see it something actually looks bent, or the z-bar just sits wrong in some way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate all the help!

Z bar was definitely bent out of shape in multiple places. Got it to work for now by hammering some of the bends back into place. Still some pressure on the pedal assembly but it is much more manageable.

302 should be coming out of the machine shop here in a few days so I'm preparing to put in a hydraulic clutch eliminating the need for replacing equalizer parts.

Here is what it looked like before bending it.

Here is what it should look like.

At first glance it looks ok but a lot of small bends are wrong which add up to change the deegree at which the rod enters the fire wall onto the clutch pedal creating pressure on the pedal assembly.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I don't know if it will help you, but I did a Z-bar comparison when I was fitting headers on my '66 a couple years back. The attachment shows the differences in early Z-bars. You may be able to scale the drawing to get your '67 piece back to something that resembles the original.

Reactions: BradAlbrecht
1 - 15 of 15 Posts