Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1300 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Apparently it works. Slow-Poke says its way impressive. Hopefully he will get time to post up the things he did. That column pic in the first post looks fantastic.

Yes it works in the column. I am looking at putting it in the engine bay. THats the fitment im referring too

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Are we sure that it's designed to operate under those conditions? An engine bay has far different conditions than under a dash. Just a thought.

Just look at the video BEAU posted. Dude put his in the engine bay as well. It may or may not be but id prefer it there especially with having a manual transmission setup. Just not sure i have room for it under the dash but it may be the only option

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Just look at the video BEAU posted. Dude put his in the engine bay as well.
How long ago? Just because someone on the internet did something doesn't mean it was an educated decision. Are these things designed to get hot, oily, wet? If you look at things that go in engine bays vs. things that go in the interior you will see differences in the designs.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just think it's worth considering.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think they guy in the video says he sealed up the control module just in case. I bet you could spray the whole thing in plasti-dip, that should protect it pretty good.

The unit seems to be very robust, the only thing I would really worry about in that area is heat from the headers, but I bet you could fab a shield of some sort.

My conversion might not start for a while. I plan on going from a manual to auto transmission this winter, it might be easier to do it all at once while I'm twisted up under the dash. From looking at it on my garage floor though, I'm going to try and use as much of the VUE column as possible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do you have to convert to manual steering for this to work, if not what do you with the control valve and ram?

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
With that I believe you would also need to change pitman arms.

There's also this for 67-70:

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1967-70-Grab-A-Trak-R-Manual-Steering-Adapter.html

But at that cost it doesn't seem like the best way. Unless you ever wanted to convert back to OEM power steering for some reason.

This is really two conversations. One for 67-70 cars and one for 65-66. Converting from power to manual steering has different options for both. I responded incorrectly to fordbsg because he has a '69 and that conversion kit is for 65-66 only. My bad. For 67-70 I think the best way is to do the drag link and pitman arms.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Sorry, for the slow response update wise (I'm out of town).

BTW, my car is a stick car, with hydraulic clutch, stick cars should be fine with this mod.
A few details to keep you going if your inclined to make progress.

For those heading to the pick-a-part:
1) Get the intermediate shaft
2) You don't need the steering wheel, but you do need the collapsible "slider" shaft and tube.
3) Cut the wires as long as possible, the power ground can be unbolted from left side of c-channel, power feed goes through the firewall, signal wires a foot or so will do.

I promise to do a complete write-up, just VERY (too) busy at the moment.

If you don't want to cut your original column tube (I kept my original), might want to find an extra one.

You will need a coupler (Borgeson), in my case because I have a TCP rack, it uses a DD-type shaft, so I used a Borgeson part # 314900 3/4 DD x 3/4 Smooth bore fits very well on lower Vue shaft. Note I pulled a second Vue assembly (so I have a spare), and the lower shaft is slightly different than the one I installed in my car. So good idea to get the assembly before ordering parts. Most of you will be joining to the original shaft. My original Vue lower looked like this.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185466&stc=1&d=1407516158

Here is the coupler to the DD shaft
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185474&stc=1&d=1407516158

I will provide more details when I get a chance.

*** jump to Post# 97 for step by step instructions ***

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ah, TCP rack. So, for those of us with factory power steering, we need to either use that $90 kit, or pay $150 for a manual drag link and pitman arm.

Still not horrible!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had been talkin 2 my buddy bout this mod since I first saw this thread, were gonna go look for a steering column, then today he sent me this pic looks exactly like the one off of the saturns but he got this off a 13 Hyundai genesis (he's a tech at the local dealer). Do u guys think it'll work or would some of you mind giving me some of the part numbers or serial numbers off your parts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanx for the advice looks like I got some reading to do.

41 - 60 of 1300 Posts