Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1241 - 1260 of 1300 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not discounting failsafe this device is still fully adjustable as you discuss.
Just wondering best approach to begin the cuts
By using the default or fail safe it is minimal assist. They are going to give you the amount of assist for hiway speeds which is not much.

If you can control the assist like the Bruno box and turn it to full assist at hiway speed it is scary and difficult to control. This is why the fail safe is set low level so it is safe at higher speeds.

I like the fact that I have control over the amount of assist. I usually have it set to a low amount, but have the option of turning it up when parking or wheeling in tight quarters.
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is my post a few posts above...

Ok, finally about ready to tackle this project, parts are compiled and uncounted posts have been read.

Early on someone said what I was thinking, this is simple, you cut a whole in the shaft big enough to accommodate the motor, reattach the shaft to the motor, attach a few wires and you’re done. The issue is where do you make that cut? Everything else can work off that cut.

I’m working on a stock 65. I picked up a rebuilt long shaft quick steer Shelby box to replace my worn original. So, in theory, I have a 2nd donor shaft if I screw up the cuts. I’d rather not need it.

After all the ones that have been done do we have hard numbers for where to cut ?

I considered simply holding the motor up to the shaft under the dash and approximating the location from that. But I assume there’s a more precise way to do it. But that seems like it would work. Pull the outer tube off the shaft. Then hold motor up in location to be mounted and mark the ends of the input/output shafts on the steering column. This would be the location of the 2 cuts that need to be made with some allowances for whatever adapters that are being used.

Am I making this too hard?

Thanks

Shawn

BTW I’m using a kit from epowersteering.com. It came with adapters and everything. I couldn’t find a motor in good shape nearby and by the time I cobbled all the parts together it wasn’t much more to buy the kit plus it has a lifetime warranty. And I just wanted to try his kit. It uses the VUE motor and his modified controller that he says alleviates the need for fail safe mode. I’ll post a build thread when I’m done.

Not sure of what your asking?

·
Registered
182 Posts
He's very willing to talk and I've spoken to him at length but he's not had many mustangs done. He's done lawnmowers and and dune buggies and other classics.

But I personally was hoping to build on the knowledge of those who have done it before me.

So here's my plan. Take measurements from top of column to the bracket. The top of the collar to the top of the shaft (avoid turn signal issues) Pull the outer column. Then mock up where I want the motor and mark the old shaft (leaving a little extra just in case). Mount the motor on the lower shaft, then build the upper shaft based off the measurements I took first. Those measurements will ensure wheel sits in stock location and there is enough clearance for wheel to turn and not impede the turn signal.

The modified way would be get the measurements shaft to shaft of the motor. Then once I've decided where I want the motor to sit relative to the shaft. I simply mark the shaft at that point then cut that much out of that section of the shaft. Then mount it up.

Likely I'm just over thinking it but would be nice if someone could say measure 17" from this point and cut. But I know we're all using different pieces on slightly different cars so that won't work. That's why I was asking for a little direction to have a plan of attack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
By using the default or fail safe it is minimal assist. They are going to give you the amount of assist for hiway speeds which is not much.

If you can control the assist like the Bruno box and turn it to full assist at hiway speed it is scary and difficult to control. This is why the fail safe is set low level so it is safe at higher speeds.

I like the fact that I have control over the amount of assist. I usually have it set to a low amount, but have the option of turning it up when parking or wheeling in tight quarters.
from what I've seen of videos where people are using the prius EPS, they've been able to turn the steering wheel while the car is parked with 1 finger. That is fine with me! My biggest complaint with my thunderbird and 18in tires is having to muscle it around on my tiny street and then pull it into my driver and park it inside my garage that's just barely big enough for the car on its own. I don't really care about power steering as much when the car is moving along at a decent speed.

in any case, I ordered 1 of Bruno's automatic controller kits for the Saturn Vue, if I do need to go that route. It's been a while since I looked at the Saturn Vue stuff..it's nice to see that he's upgraded his line of kits!

for anyone interested, here's the kit I picked up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142463173598

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Anyone tried this harness?
They are listed kn eBay for $125.
That’s more than I paid for the column!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Wow 1250 posts, wonder what the record is, my install was around 50, who knew. As for the question posed, i would want the option to adjust also, at least to set it to my tastes, otherwise I would just go with the original Bruno box. Its easy to reach down and dial it up or down, I don’t change it much. If Bruno is the maker, his unit has performed flawlessly for two years and counting

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow 1250 posts, wonder what the record is, my install was around 50, who knew. As for the question posed, i would want the option to adjust also, at least to set it to my tastes, otherwise I would just go with the original Bruno box. Its easy to reach down and dial it up or down, I don’t change it much. If Bruno is the maker, his unit has performed flawlessly for two years and counting

I've driven mine for about two years with the Bruno controller as well. I set it two years ago and haven't touched it since. I have mine set pretty low, maybe 20% from the bottom?

Speed sensitive doesn't really seem worth more money, I haven't noticed any situation where I thought that would be needed.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've driven mine for about two years with the Bruno controller as well. I set it two years ago and haven't touched it since. I have mine set pretty low, maybe 20% from the bottom?

Speed sensitive doesn't really seem worth more money, I haven't noticed any situation where I thought that would be needed.

Good feedback... ordering my controller now.

·
Registered
743 Posts

Do you have a pic of where you installed the adjustment knob for the Bruno box? I can't decide how/where I want to mount that. Looking for good ideas.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I'll get a pic later, too lazy now, its right next to the steering column facing downward under the dash. The hole was already there for some reason. I ground the flange of the knob off so it was shorter and less obtrusive. You can't really see it sitting in the seats but its easy to find. Hell it was easier to take the photo than describe it... Its there under the ignition switch facing downward. From this angle it looks like its under the cigarette lighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
When I did this in my Falcon,I used the lighter socket to hide the potentiometer. Modified the housing to hold it and drilled out the knob to fit the shaft of the pot. I've had to disconnect it recently.I think one of the torque sensors crapped out. On getting assist to the left....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Do you have a pic of where you installed the adjustment knob for the Bruno box? I can't decide how/where I want to mount that. Looking for good ideas.
Mine is a 68. I just opened up one of the existing holes and mounted it as shown. I also cut down the shaft so it didn't protrude down that far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I put mine on the steering column for ease of access. The pot that Bruno supplied was too big so I had a smaller one that would fit.
At car shows every one looks at the thing and questions "what the heck is that thing for"
Some day I will make a knob that is less obvious.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I hid mine in the cigarette lighter location was well. I had to cut the stem of the rheostat down a little, but compared to cutting my stab-o-spear steering column, no big deal.

+1 on the bruno box, 3+ years.

1241 - 1260 of 1300 Posts