Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1261 - 1280 of 1297 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was thinking, if I had to do it again I would get one of those columns that doesn't need a Bruno controller.

Simpler install and dialing in the assist level just isn't that great of a feature. Of course, if I installed one of those and the default assist level was all wrong I might change my mind, lol.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
For me the variable rate of Bruno's box is one of it's best features.

It allows one finger parking and manual quality road feedback to the steering wheel at freeway speeds, plus anything in between.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Has anyone used the shorty ISIDRO tilt column?

I MUST get a tilt column out of this change.
The straight column isn’t going to work for me and my stature/size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'll get a pic later, too lazy now, its right next to the steering column facing downward under the dash. The hole was already there for some reason. I ground the flange of the knob off so it was shorter and less obtrusive. You can't really see it sitting in the seats but its easy to find. Hell it was easier to take the photo than describe it... Its there under the ignition switch facing downward. From this angle it looks like its under the cigarette lighter.

Thanks dobrostang and 68Hildago, those are great pics, and great ideas for placement.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I used a 87 F-150/Bronco tilt column with a floor shift. I used just the upper portion grafted to the upper 70 stock column attached to a Equinox EPS. I believe 80-91 are the same. The end result looks totally original.

70 is a one year only tilt column and is priced accordingly, usually around 1k and up

·
Registered
675 Posts
I used a 87 F-150/Bronco tilt column with a floor shift. I used just the upper portion grafted to the upper 70 stock column attached to a Equinox EPS. I believe 80-91 are the same. The end result looks totally original.

70 is a one year only tilt column and is priced accordingly, usually around 1k and up
so the factory tilt away on a 69 https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/69tilt.html

but yeah it looks like shouldn't be an issue then - seems where you mate the stock shaft and the EPAS motor shaft is away from all that tilt stuff, so its still just a matter of joining the two

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just got a message back from the epas performance customer service - saying

"Sadly, no it will not work on that column. As you see in the photo the "tilt away" portion is all at the bottom of the column which will be cut away once the column is cut to the proper length.
Please see the link below that shows the install for the 69 mustang. "

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2612/2646/files/68-70_Mustang_ID_4-24-18.pdf?5130909214858597092

https://epasperformance.com/collections/mustang/products/1969-ford-mustang

·
Registered
626 Posts
from what I've seen of videos where people are using the prius EPS, they've been able to turn the steering wheel while the car is parked with 1 finger. That is fine with me! My biggest complaint with my thunderbird and 18in tires is having to muscle it around on my tiny street and then pull it into my driver and park it inside my garage that's just barely big enough for the car on its own. I don't really care about power steering as much when the car is moving along at a decent speed.

in any case, I ordered 1 of Bruno's automatic controller kits for the Saturn Vue, if I do need to go that route. It's been a while since I looked at the Saturn Vue stuff..it's nice to see that he's upgraded his line of kits!

for anyone interested, here's the kit I picked up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142463173598

I like this! It now has me curious. I just might buy one of these and hook it up. If I don't like it, I can always plug the adjustable one back in.

And yes Andrew, I can turn my wheels sitting still, with the engine off, key on, with 1 finger. It is nice when parking.

·
Registered
775 Posts
so the factory tilt away on a 69 https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/69tilt.html

but yeah it looks like shouldn't be an issue then - seems where you mate the stock shaft and the EPAS motor shaft is away from all that tilt stuff, so its still just a matter of joining the two
The reason I used the upper tube of the stock '70 non tilt column bracket has the been modified to support the eps motor. '70 uses x3 3/8th studs to attach column to dash. By using them the whole setup is very secure

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like this! It now has me curious. I just might buy one of these and hook it up. If I don't like it, I can always plug the adjustable one back in.

Well, I got the instructions for the self adjusting Bruno box. It is what I expected, you have to solder into one of the torque sensors. If I was doing a new installation, that would be fine, but since I have had mine up and running for a while, I am leery of messing with the torque sensors or their wiring.

There is a way to adjust the level of assist.

Step 5 – How to adjust steering assistance level?
With this new Automatic controller Kit, you don´t need to adjust the steering assistance level. It will adjust by itself depending on the force you apply on the steering wheel. However, we have three different set ups available for you. You must choose one of them, depending on your car and your driver preferences. We recommend you to start with the normal Set up. Then, after driving your car if you wish to have more or less steering assistance while driving your car, you should try another set up.
- Normal Set up: just leave the grey wire disconnected. Isolate the end of the wire.
- More Steering Assistance Set up: connect the grey wire to a 100K Resistor and then connect the resistor to ground.
- Less Steering Assistance Set up: connect the grey wire directly to ground.

·
Registered
790 Posts
since I have a tilt away - looks like im going to need to do some fabricating - any reason to keep the rag joint?
Since it will provide damping to vibrations and also will allow for some minor misalignment of your steering shaft, I would suggest you keep it in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was reading how the Vue EPAS ECU has adjustments for left and right steering balancing (little dial adjusters on the PCB) - do these toyota ECU's have that need as well?
See my last post in the Toyota steering thread. The Toyota steering ECU needs to be connected to a scan tool through the OBDII port. There is a "torque sensor zero calibration" procedure that needs to be performed whenever a vehicle is aligned or the steering motor swapped out. This is something that nobody talks about.

Andrew

·
Registered
675 Posts
See my last post in the Toyota steering thread. The Toyota steering ECU needs to be connected to a scan tool through the OBDII port. There is a "torque sensor zero calibration" procedure that needs to be performed whenever a vehicle is aligned or the steering motor swapped out. This is something that nobody talks about.

Andrew
that was exactly my thoughts - i must have missed your post on it, but literally no one else has mentioned it!

1261 - 1280 of 1297 Posts