Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
See my last post in the Toyota steering thread. The Toyota steering ECU needs to be connected to a scan tool through the OBDII port. There is a "torque sensor zero calibration" procedure that needs to be performed whenever a vehicle is aligned or the steering motor swapped out. This is something that nobody talks about.

Andrew
I worked for Toyota for 37yrs and your not going to access the steering ECU with out the whole system. Body control module and engine ECU. There is like 14 control modules on a can bus.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I worked for Toyota for 37yrs and your not going to access the steering ECU with out the whole system. Body control module and engine ECU. There is like 14 control modules on a can bus.
You may very well be right, but I am going to try. The Yaris is a simple vehicle and it definitely does not have 14 control modules, it has 5 or 6 (I didn't count, but it is not 14). I have downloaded the FSM for the steering system and the CAN communication network.

As far as I can tell, the only information that the steering ECU is looking for on the CAN bus is engine RPM (this is simply to turn the ECU on). This particular ECU doesn't get the speed information of the CAN bus, but instead gets that from the instrument cluster, which in turn gets it from a VSS. The wiring diagrams are pretty clear about that. I have already been successful in duplicating the VSS signal in a way that the steering ECU understands. Others have been successful in using a simple CAN emulator to send a repeating RPM signal to the steering ECU via CAN, and the steering ECU turns ON (no trouble codes from the steering ECU). The only reason I am not going this route is that this particular CAN emulator is $300. He did this 5 years ago so there were not a lot of options, but there are now.

Since you have a lot of experience with Toyota, helpful information would be appreciated. :shrug:

Andrew

·
Registered
22 Posts
Darn, I wish I would have known about this DIY mod before I purchased the $1300 kit, that thing is scheduled to arrive any day now. On the plus side I'll have an opportunity to take a look at the kit and compare them side by side. Now to source the parts...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Darn, I wish I would have known about this DIY mod before I purchased the $1300 kit, that thing is scheduled to arrive any day now. On the plus side I'll have an opportunity to take a look at the kit and compare them side by side. Now to source the parts...
Which kit did you buy?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I didnt read all 86 pages and Im sure this question is buried in there somewhere.

Since the EAPS is bolted to the dash, doesnt the dash absorb all the torque when you turn the wheel?

In an oem manual or power setup, the torque is transferred to the steering box that is bolted to the frame rail.

In a few years are we going to see metal fatigue in the dash or the dash pulling away from the body?

Also, seems like some enterprising Mustanger would offer a DIY kit that has the necessary cutting and welding completed. Im sure there are many that would like to do this but lack the necessary fabrication skills.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been a fabricator for the past 16 years, building off-road race cars here on the west coast. I’ve been building Class one cars, Short course Pro 4 trucks, and sand cars. This being said, I have used a lot from a guy on the website RaceDezert.com who assembles these eps kits for $500 shipped. The last desert car I finished up last year had one, and man it worked killer on a 2800lb car with 35” tires. The awesome part about it, was the fact that the “assist” is adjustable with a dash knob that you can hide out of the way. Came with full instructions.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
Since the EAPS is bolted to the dash, doesnt the dash absorb all the torque when you turn the wheel?

In an oem manual or power setup, the torque is transferred to the steering box that is bolted to the frame rail.

In a few years are we going to see metal fatigue in the dash or the dash pulling away from the body?.
In short, this isn't an issue. The dash reacts to a certain amount of input torque no matter what. To illustrate this, disconnect your (late 1967 and up) steering column from the dash and with no power assist try to turn the wheels. It's darn near impossible. (I have done this.) You are actually using the dash as your leverage every time you turn the wheel. Happily our old cars are a tad overbuilt in this area and so keeping an EPAS motor controlled isn't an issue. The structure of the car doesn't differentiate between your big muscles turning the wheel and a motor helping a bit.

This floppy steering column effect is less evident on '67 and older cars with solid steering shafts but the structure and concept is still the same.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if anyone is looking for one of Bruno's automatic controller kits for the Saturn Vue, shoot me a message! I bought one thinking I may go with a Saturn Vue EPS but never went that route.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Slow-Poke,

I have a 1965 Coupe with manual steering and would like to convert to EPS using the Saturn Vue set up. Would you consider building me one for a fee. Please let me know. My email is [email protected]. Thanks!

Waynestang65

·
Registered
659 Posts
I really have been straddling this fence - vue.. prius.. bruno box.. so many variables. I made a list of parts from ebay that i think i'd need and it was up to $380...

but instead i decided to go with the epowersteering.com kit for $600
https://www.epowersteering.com/purchase/product/universal-kit

I really wanted the prius one because of the smaller motor size - but this seems more convenient

·
Registered
120 Posts
I really have been straddling this fence - vue.. prius.. bruno box.. so many variables. I made a list of parts from ebay that i think i'd need and it was up to $380...

but instead i decided to go with the epowersteering.com kit for $600
https://www.epowersteering.com/purchase/product/universal-kit

I really wanted the prius one because of the smaller motor size - but this seems more convenient
I bought two prius units, one was a whole column, a bruno controller, some adapters, and I still didn't spend $300

·
Registered
659 Posts
I bought two prius units, one was a whole column, a bruno controller, some adapters, and I still didn't spend $300
you're right - I was a little confused how I totaled $380 - but that for eBay prices AND also included the $150 power to manual steering adapter, which I would still need... so its more like $380 vs $750.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you're right - I was a little confused how I totaled $380 - but that for eBay prices AND also included the $150 power to manual steering adapter, which I would still need... so its more like $380 vs $750.

It just depends if you want to be patient and search. Ebay prices go up and you really have to hunt for them. Best prices will be at your pick and pull

I think i paid $100 for my vue unit 2 years ago off ebay. . Then add the other pieces i think i spent maybe $250.

Honestly if i were to do it over id do the epowersteering because of the ease of getting the parts. I had to really look and find the couplers that would work, do more welding, fab a few plates etc. It would save a lot of time and frustration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive finally read through all 80+ pages and I picekd up 2 EPS unites. One from a 02 VUE and the other from a 07 Equinox. When looking at the control boxes it seems like the VUE is correct, but the equinox has a completely different module and plugs. Has anyone used a Equinox EPS or know which location uses the Bruno box on the Equinox unit?

1st pic is the Equinox box and second pic is the VUE box.

Attachments

1281 - 1297 of 1297 Posts