Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1320 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I tried to speed read through 65 pages...

Has anyone tried retro fitting the s550 electric rack? It looks like the control module is built in.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
No way in h*## I'd put one of those electric racks on a vintage car. They are problematic for OEM's, with warranty work and TSB's across most manufacturers, let alone as a retrofit. Google S550 electric PS problems. When fully electric steering acts up, it's BAD ! A co-worker with a brand new Ram had his steering randomly lock up on him, as did my wife in her Audi ... it happened to me mid-corner !! took to the dealer, and of course there was no problem found, it seems to have gone away again ....

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just picked up a Saturn EPS and have a stupid question I think, should I be able to turn the shaft where the steering wheel goes and here a grinding sort of noise? The lower shaft coming out the other end of the unit does not turn.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just picked up a Saturn EPS and have a stupid question I think, should I be able to turn the shaft where the steering wheel goes and here a grinding sort of noise? The lower shaft coming out the other end of the unit does not turn.
I hope you got it free!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Since the EAPS is bolted to the dash, doesnt the dash absorb all the torque when you turn the wheel?
In an oem manual or power setup, the torque is transferred to the steering box that is bolted to the frame rail.
In a few years are we going to see metal fatigue in the dash or the dash pulling away from the body?
Yes, however you mount the motor you will transfer the torque to the mounting system. Now, keep in mind I overkill everything but deep in this thread (#526+) is how I built my motor mount into dash support structure and reinforced the structure because I didn't like the idea of using the tube with a small tab AND I could not stomach the idea of the motor being visible AND I wanted to keep the driver's vent because I use it all the time.

Its a GREAT add, I've been running it since 2015, no issues - run autocross and even had it out on Watkins Glen Int'l. I LOVE the rheostat from the Bruno Box! Can't imagine having EPAS without it, I change my steering regularly depending on where I'm driving. Dialed up full for Autocross, Dialed almost off for the track. Mounted the Rheostat down by the steering shaft under the dash pointing down - very easy reach, heck, I'll even dial it up when I turn into a busy parking lot. Ground the flange off the knob and shortened the shaft so it doesn't show.

Yes you don't get as much feedback through the wheel but my entire car talks to me, so now instead of it shouting through the steering wheel, it uses its indoor voice. Unfortunately, too many drivers are "hard of hearing" and need their cars to shout - they won't like EPAS. I however, am not wanting for telemetry of what the tires are doing. I can find the hairy edge of under/oversteer and a true balanced corner and ride it. The Vue/Equinox system is very responsive, I chose it because the Vue is almost a 1000 pounds heaver than my 66 and has big 235 65 16s - wheels. My autocross times have not suffered one bit. There is also a lot of whining about Return to Center - its not there for the most part. I have never noticed it once I got used to the new system.

Good Luck,

M

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I clamped mine to a work bench, put vice grips on the output , tied a 25 pound weight on the handle, hooked it up to a 12 volt battery and turned the input shaft.
Go slow on the input though, it may react very quickly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone tried to use a 68 steering box in a 65/66? As its got the rag joint already..
You can have Chokostang build you a 67 late style box with the 1" pitman arm, Im going this route in the near future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
See my last post in the Toyota steering thread. The Toyota steering ECU needs to be connected to a scan tool through the OBDII port. There is a "torque sensor zero calibration" procedure that needs to be performed whenever a vehicle is aligned or the steering motor swapped out. This is something that nobody talks about.

Andrew
Hi
I'm guessing because the EPS is used in fail safe, calibration is not needed since its assist is constant not variable like the factory car it came from

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi
I'm guessing because the EPS is used in fail safe, calibration is not needed since its assist is constant not variable like the factory car it came from
I have not been able to perform the zero point calibration, but mind is working as a variable assist unit, using the Yaris non-ABS ECU with a speed signal input from my Holley Dominator ECU.

Andrew

·
Registered
876 Posts
With the Vue/Equinox units, there is a manual calibration you can do. I posted a how-to link many pages back. I had to adjust mine during my installation.

·
Registered
644 Posts
With the Vue/Equinox units, there is a manual calibration you can do. I posted a how-to link many pages back. I had to adjust mine during my installation.
+1

I had to adjust the right/left assist because one was more softer than the other. I emailed Bruno and he sent me the instructions. Simple adjustment.

Also, per the instructions, If you are testing your steering column on the test bench, you must use two pliers, one on each side of the steering column, and make contrary force with the pliers. This way you are simulating the torque applied at the steering wheel on a real situation, as if the steering was installed on the vehicle.

BTW, I love mine. I never touch the adjustment, which is hidden in place of the lighter. I have a diminished return to center, but do not notice it anymore.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The adjustable boost Vue is the absolute cats meow. Any 70 mph on freeways I turn mine all the way down, the car tracks perfectly. Around town mid point, not too sensitive just nice and easy. I like it all the way up for one finger parallel parking.
It just does not get any better than this, it has to be the very best mod ever for old Mustangs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
looking for a little help. I’m not a mechanic, and I don’t have good to fabricate.
Is it possible to take the steering shaft from the steering box and use a coupler to attach it to the bottom end (firewall side) of the Prius steering shaft with EPAS (2009) ? Can I then attach my original mustang shaft to the top end (wheel side) of the EPAS steering shaft. I can cut a shaft to length as needed and I think I can use couplers, an adjustable shaft, or weld if needed. I’m looking for layman’s advice or guidance. I’m trying to do this “idiot proof” so as not to screw up.
THANKS A LOT!!

1301 - 1320 of 1320 Posts