Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 140 of 1300 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm not sure everything is going to fit in one link, so I'm reserving the next couple links so the information is sequential. 3/3

VSS testing back in June. How do you like my "exhaust pipe" driveshaft?
Slow-Poke, I see you are testing an induction sensor for getting the speed of the driveshaft. Would you be able to use the hall effect type sender that is mounted to the T5 trans (used in a digital speedo setup)? I'm guessing with the control box you are designing, that could be substituted for an input signal?

Just thinking out loud, because I totally agree that eventually a real time responsive power assist would be ideal versus the potentiometer with Bruno's unit.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Slow-Poke, I see you are testing an induction sensor for getting the speed of the driveshaft. Would you be able to use the hall effect type sender that is mounted to the T5 trans (used in a digital speedo setup)? I'm guessing with the control box you are designing, that could be substituted for an input signal?

Just thinking out loud, because I totally agree that eventually a real time responsive power assist would be ideal versus the potentiometer with Bruno's unit.
Chucks66,

The signals should be compatible, I will need to test.

Do you know if there is a pass through version of the sender that allows the speedometer cable to be connected while also providing the pulse stream? If so can you provide a link?

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

·
Registered
157 Posts
I tested a couple of different hall effect transducers back in June. They give a nice "cleaned up" signal compared to the VR sensors, however the VR sensors are likely more reliable due their simple design.

Do you know what voltage the Autometer Hall effect sensor runs on +12V or +5V?
It is powered via a +12V feed, but as for the signal voltage I would have to test it. I want to say that its signaling at +5V though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
so over the labor day weekend, I went to pick-a-part and picked-a steering column & motor from a Saturn Vue. I actaully got 2, one from a 2003 and one from a 2004. I noticed the intermediate shaft is different, like slow-poke pictured. The 2004 intermediate shaft is thinner on top.

Anyway... Here is my plan.

I am starting with a early 67 coupe, so I have the long shaft attached to the steering box. The engine is out, so that will help.

On the lower 1/2 of the steering shaft, I plan on cutting the steering shaft in the engine compartment. About a foot up from the steering box. I will probably start closer to the firewall. I will file it down to a 3/4 DD and use the saturn lower intermediate shaft to connect to it. The intermediate shaft slides so I dont have to worry about being precise on the actual distance. I will eventaully put some set screws in the intermediate shaft to lock it in place. The only issue with this is if the Saturn shaft it too long, even shrunk down. If so, then I will look at a coupler.

On the upper 1/2 of the steering shaft, I plan on doing the same thing that FordForever did on The Falcon Forum Network. Remove the upper 1/2 of the collapsible column and remove the shaft. Cut the upper shaft and drill part of it out to 3/4 to fit over the mustang steering shaft. So one end of it will fit on the saturn shaft with splines and the other end will fit the mustang steering shaft. Some set screws to hold it all together.

So that will take care of the steering shaft portion.

Cut the column tube to length as needed. Cut and Bend some tabs to bolt it to the saturn motor casing. I may also get the firewall mounting plate that clamps to the tube.

the only grey area is fabrication a bracket to attach to the motor or to the pivot sleeve to support the motor and to keep it from moving.

I actually want to leave the intermediate shaft so that it can float up and down, but the Falcon Forum had some issues with the motor wanting to move up and down, so I expect to have to secure the intermediate shaft. However, I would think that if it is attached securely at the steering box and at the saturn motor, it would not move, so the intermediate shaft would not need set screws. Something to look at when I get to that point.

Comments welcome

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
so over the labor day weekend, I went to pick-a-part and picked-a steering column & motor from a Saturn Vue. I actaully got 2, one from a 2003 and one from a 2004. I noticed the intermediate shaft is different, like slow-poke pictured. The 2004 intermediate shaft is thinner on top.

Anyway... Here is my plan.

I am starting with a early 67 coupe, so I have the long shaft attached to the steering box. The engine is out, so that will help.

On the lower 1/2 of the steering shaft, I plan on cutting the steering shaft in the engine compartment. About a foot up from the steering box. I will probably start closer to the firewall. I will file it down to a 3/4 DD and use the saturn lower intermediate shaft to connect to it. The intermediate shaft slides so I dont have to worry about being precise on the actual distance. I will eventaully put some set screws in the intermediate shaft to lock it in place. The only issue with this is if the Saturn shaft it too long, even shrunk down. If so, then I will look at a coupler.

On the upper 1/2 of the steering shaft, I plan on doing the same thing that FordForever did on The Falcon Forum Network. Remove the upper 1/2 of the collapsible column and remove the shaft. Cut the upper shaft and drill part of it out to 3/4 to fit over the mustang steering shaft. So one end of it will fit on the saturn shaft with splines and the other end will fit the mustang steering shaft. Some set screws to hold it all together.

So that will take care of the steering shaft portion.

Cut the column tube to length as needed. Cut and Bend some tabs to bolt it to the saturn motor casing. I may also get the firewall mounting plate that clamps to the tube.

the only grey area is fabrication a bracket to attach to the motor or to the pivot sleeve to support the motor and to keep it from moving.

I actually want to leave the intermediate shaft so that it can float up and down, but the Falcon Forum had some issues with the motor wanting to move up and down, so I expect to have to secure the intermediate shaft. However, I would think that if it is attached securely at the steering box and at the saturn motor, it would not move, so the intermediate shaft would not need set screws. Something to look at when I get to that point.

Comments welcome
Please post pics once you are done. I got the same set up

·
Registered
277 Posts
I take it 65/66 and the 67+ cars have different steering components/shafts? I ask because I have a 66. So this Saturn EPS mod will differ on my car considering slow-poke and bacchus have 67 cars. Kind of sucks was hoping to mimic you guys. I have factory power steering, so I need to get manual steering link to do this correct?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #130 (Edited)
I take it 65/66 and the 67+ cars have different steering components/shafts? I ask because I have a 66. So this Saturn EPS mod will differ on my car considering slow-poke and bacchus have 67 cars. Kind of sucks was hoping to mimic you guys. I have factory power steering, so I need to get manual steering link to do this correct?
My car is a 66, early 67 cars are very similar to a 65/66 in that they have a one piece shaft from the steering wheel all the way to the steering box.

Late 67 and up have a two piece shaft with a rag joint in between for safety.

That being said I have a TCP rack that is closer to the late 67 style in that the top shaft ends just past the firewall where it connects to a universal joint (similar to a 67 rag joint). Vintage Mustang Forums

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Please post pics once you are done. I got the same set up
Most definitely will post pics as I go along.

My car is a 66, early 67 cars are very similar to a 65/66 in that they have a one piece shaft from the steering wheel all the way to the steering box.
Slow-Poke addressed this also, but...

My 67 is the same as the 65/66. However, I have factory manual steering. I do not know this will differ from your factory power steering.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I can't wait to start. I have a 68, so the two piece shaft.

My plan is to solidly mount the motor / steering wheel side of the column to the pedal hanger and dash, much like Slow Poke did. But, from there I hope to just put a u-joint on the steering box and one off the back of the motor, with a single shaft connecting them. Just like it was in the VUE, but longer shaft. It should be a straight shot pretty much, but I don't care if I have that lower outer tube or not. If I really bolt that sucker in I hope to not need the support that lower tube provides. Also, removes the need for a lot of measuring and welding :)

-Beau

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I can't wait to start. I have a 68, so the two piece shaft.

My plan is to solidly mount the motor / steering wheel side of the column to the pedal hanger and dash, much like Slow Poke did. But, from there I hope to just put a u-joint on the steering box and one off the back of the motor, with a single shaft connecting them. Just like it was in the VUE, but longer shaft. It should be a straight shot pretty much, but I don't care if I have that lower outer tube or not. If I really bolt that sucker in I hope to not need the support that lower tube provides. Also, removes the need for a lot of measuring and welding :)

-Beau
This is how one of the expensive kits does it. Not a bad idea, they sell a pivoting bearing that works well for the pass through at the firewall.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #135

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get it going Beau! Going to be awesome. Can't wait to copy you lol. I'll be pulling my steering column from the junkyard next Friday.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Interesting paper on power steering assist levels. Performed back in the 80's by Ford, they had someone in the back seat tweaking the assist level as 40 different drivers did various maneuvers.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/196/72531.0001.001.pdf?sequence=2

BMW version:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/servotronic.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/electric-vs-hydraulic-steering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature

Cadillac version:
http://www.cardone.com/tech-help/steering/how-it-works-best-practices/understanding-variable-effort-steering-systems

When I was in high school (late 70's) and for a few summers after I would car jockey new vehicles from the the dealer to the company I was working for. After a while you better appreciate the way one car handles compared to its lesser cousin. I recall driving what I think was a Honda Prelude around 81, that car was just a pleasure to drive, it just felt very responsive compared to the typical car of that era. Looks like Honda introduced variable assist in 1978 and the Prelude had it in 1981.

121 - 140 of 1300 Posts