Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who makes the best 24F Battery? I want to use one of the Autolite battery covers so I am looking at flat top 24F batteries.

Any suggestions? Are today's Autolites at Kragen any good? They do have a 96 month warranty.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The more cranking amps, the more reserve power (and thus will last longer).

Personally I would buy a black one. IMO it just looks better.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I've been using Kragen's Autolite in Red with zero problems.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
I have a black battery bought from Kragen and peeled their sticker off the side. Blends right in and no problems in 3+ years.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I'm using a Deka, it is sealed, flat top, and has the hold down lip on the ends. I peeled the labels off to make it less visible.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I use a NAPA battery 24F with the correct holddowns for 65 & 66

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I have an 84 month Napa unit that hasn't let me down as of yet, and I've had it for almost 10 years, driven almost daily. Correct hold downs, too. Your cover should work on it ok.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Autolite 24F 84 month.

By the way Autolite is now made by Exide.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
My usual rule for buying a car battery is the most CCA's for the price. In this case I would modify that rule to the most CCA's for the price in a black, service free flat top battery. Warranties are usually designed to keep you as a customer and their duration doesn't necessarily connote quality. I have an Autolite battery cover on an Exide 24F because that was the cheapest one I could find with a high CCA rating.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I agree on warrenties. Often the longest warrenty on a product is to convince people
to buy an inferior product! :confused:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I make Napa and Autolite's and the orignal Motorcraft batteries where I work..............
Duh, It is Exide. Glad to hear they are doing you all good,

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
OfnaJoe said:
I make Napa and Autolite's and the orignal Motorcraft batteries where I work..............
Duh, It is Exide. Glad to hear they are doing you all good,
I've always wondered how that works. Are they all the same case? Do you just slap a different sticker on the side? Or is there a dedicated line for each brand?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Most aftermarket is the same battery just different label. Ford, Toyota etc. spec their own way to build. PITA Too!! Different plates different acids, Trying to get BMW contract now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts