Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 66 fastback and time has come to get the rear window mouldings. I know its best to use original for good fitment,but most used ones available have small dents in them. Does anybody have experience with the aftermarket ones available? Are some brands better than others? I have reinstalled many on previous fastbacks and I have never damaged them,so I know the install procedure.

·
Premium Member
9,899 Posts
If they just have small dents, get a trim anvil and hammer and tap them out then polish.

I believe our own Kelly_H has gone into business restoring stainless window trim. She practiced on her own '66 Fastback's (Jane) trim. She'll probably see this soon and respond.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am restoring a 66 fastback and time has come to get the rear window mouldings. I know its best to use original for good fitment,but most used ones available have small dents in them. Does anybody have experience with the aftermarket ones available? Are some brands better than others? I have reinstalled many on previous fastbacks and I have never damaged them,so I know the install procedure.
I replaced mine a couple years ago with the best ones from CJs. Don't remember if they were Scott Drake, but if they had them, I woulda bought those. They haven't caused me any problems, and I still have the originals should I need them.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I recently replaced my 67 coupe front trim with the best repro trim on NPD. Then I went back and found the original parts I was missing and had the whole set of original trim cleaned up with dents removed, then polished. The results are way better than the repro trim. I didn't try rear window repros, I just stuck with original for that.

You can see some pictures on my blog here: https://bapony.com/2018/01/18/back-to-original-window-trim/ For my next project, I won't be spending money on anything but original (including time for dent removal and polishing).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts