Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

I am brand new to this forum and being a Mustang owner. I grew up in the back seat of my grandmother's 1966 Mustang that she bought new in 66. She has since passed and now my daughter will drive it.

We live in Northern California (Redding) where it gets very warm in the Summer. I'd like to purchase and install an A/C kit, but there seems to be a number of them out there. Any advise on which is the best?

Thanks for the assistance. The car is all original and has a 289 in it :smile2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Keep in mind that you will be installing the AC condenser in front of your radiator; and may need to upgrade your radiator fan if it is currently stock. The stock four bladed fan probably won't cut it, and you probably want to add a fan shroud as well to help move air through both condenser and radiator.

I have aftermarket air in my '65 and I am currently experiencing overheating issues, even with the addition of a 6 bladed fan and fan shroud. May not be related to the AC however...

Good article:

Air Conditioning Buyer's Guide - Chill Factor - Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
I have the Classic Auto Air Daily Driver system, which is the predecessor to the Perfect Fit system. It's easier to install (just plop the A/C unit under the dash, stuff two hoses through the firewall, and hook up the usual stuff in the engine bay) but also does not combine the A/C and heat systems, which means there's no A/C defrost. Simpler system if you just want simple, but doesn't have nearly as many features as the newer Perfect Fit system as far as I can tell.

That said, it does blow ferociously cold. When I installed it I stuck a thermometer in one of the vents and found that the air was blowing a cool 33*F. If that ain't cold I don't know what is! The Perfect Fit system will likely blow nearly the same temperature.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I have the Classic Auto Air Daily Driver system, which is the predecessor to the Perfect Fit system. It's easier to install (just plop the A/C unit under the dash, stuff two hoses through the firewall, and hook up the usual stuff in the engine bay) but also does not combine the A/C and heat systems, which means there's no A/C defrost. Simpler system if you just want simple, but doesn't have nearly as many features as the newer Perfect Fit system as far as I can tell.

That said, it does blow ferociously cold. When I installed it I stuck a thermometer in one of the vents and found that the air was blowing a cool 33*F. If that ain't cold I don't know what is! The Perfect Fit system will likely blow nearly the same temperature.
Perhaps another member can enlighten me on this, but I was under the impression that a good auto a/c system blows around 60*F air at the vents. Seems quite a spread here. Centigrade maybe Kelly? Or I'm ill-informed? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You are ill-informed. Should be 45F or lower on a properly working AC system. At 33F, I would be concerned about freezing up the evaporator, which reduces evaporator performance drastically, and can even cause compressor damage. Normally the T-stat or low pressure switch will prevent evaporator temperatures that low.

MrFreeze

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you... any specifics on a fan and shroud that will fit with the AC condenser? Thanks again for all the assistance!!

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
You are ill-informed. Should be 45F or lower on a properly working AC system. At 33F, I would be concerned about freezing up the evaporator, which reduces evaporator performance drastically, and can even cause compressor damage. Normally the T-stat or low pressure switch will prevent evaporator temperatures that low.

MrFreeze
Hmm. Just googling around for less than two minutes found one major a/c servicing source say 60*F is doing real good, another says a reading of 20-30* below ambient. With a moniker like MrFreeze you may know more though. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
60F average air temp inside the car would be doing real good. But you need about 45F off the registers to get there (and probably some well-tinted glass). Likewise, the 20-30F below ambient is referring to in-car average temp. 45F or lower is what you should get with a thermometer stuck inside the register.

I wouldn't kid you guys...I do this stuff for a living.

MrFreeze

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
60F average air temp inside the car would be doing real good. But you need about 45F off the registers to get there (and probably some well-tinted glass). Likewise, the 20-30F below ambient is referring to in-car average temp. 45F or lower is what you should get with a thermometer stuck inside the register.

I wouldn't kid you guys...I do this stuff for a living.

MrFreeze
Thanks for the clarification, and stating your basis for credibility. :wink:

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
Hmm, had no idea that temps that low could actually damage the system! Mine has been okay for 5 years or now, though I do get issues with condensation piling up which then pours directly onto my right foot when I take a left hand turn :lol: Typical...

I don't use my A/C very frequently, to be fair. Only in temps above 90*F, and even then it's off if I'm moving and can just have the window rolled down. I believe this is a throwback to my mom yelling at me growing up when I would roll the window down with the A/C on - "We're not trying to air condition the outdoors, roll that window back up!!!" Since I prefer the window down, the A/C is almost never on ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
My Dad used to yell at me for the same thing, I never understood why given we aren't being billed for AC use in the stinking car! So now I'm a grown ***
man and I drive with window down and the AC kicking for good measure :)

·
Registered
35,220 Posts
Hmm, had no idea that temps that low could actually damage the system! Mine has been okay for 5 years or now, though I do get issues with condensation piling up which then pours directly onto my right foot when I take a left hand turn :lol: Typical...
My family has had Mustangs since they came out, and the factory system is capable of coating itself in ice.

Your cold-water situation is a drainage problem. Been there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If your 66 is mostly original then I recommend going with an all original hang under dash Ac system, It may be harder to find but it is classic which is nice. it works great and it lets you to keep your original heater and glove box, and it dose not block off your passenger side fresh air cowel vent which is important to me.

With the classic system you can run the heater and the AC at the same time, and pull in fresh air.

it seems to me that all the ac systems will work fine, but I prefer to keep classics as original as practical.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have the Classis Auto Air Perfect Fit and love it. It will cool the car down even when it is over 120 degrees outside.

Since it also gets warm in Northern Cali I would opt for a larger AC condenser for the front of the car as it will help to dissipate the heat.

Hope that helped.

Reactions: Todd Garber
1 - 20 of 25 Posts