Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a C4GF Autolite 4100 1.08 that I just picked up in excellant condition and have the following questions:

1) Who sells the best quality rebuild kit?

2) Who is the best rebuilder?

3) What size power valve to go with? 66 289, bored .020, Hipo style hydraulic flat tappet cam, Wieand Stealth intake, repo HiPo exhaust manifold, and Waldron Arvonode duel exhaust?

Thanks in advance,

Sean Solberg

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PB65stang,

Same here, I am currently batteling a rich condition, with an idle that is smooth or 10 seconds, then hunts for 10 seconds. I believe I have ruled out vacuum leaks and electrical issues and am down to the carb. I pulled my plugs and everyone one of them was black as night. Think it is an issue with the carb, power valve or float level I feel.

I am going to rebuild what I have on the car now, rebuild the replacement carb I have, or send my replacement carb out for rebuild.

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
Mike's DELUXE kit. If you Auto-X or thrash around a lot, try to find an Autolite 2100 float damper spring for your primary float bowl. As far as the power valve goes... intake manifold vacuum, divided in half, rounded up to the nearest PV number... For example, if you have 18" hg of vacuum, use a 9.5 PV.

Also, fuel line connection hint.... if you want to avoid rubber line altogether but don't want to run the big fuel pump with canister filter, Ford used a screw-in-the-carb filter that has an inverted flare fitting on the other end instead of a hose nipple... Yeah, it means you have to either snip your fuel line, put a tube nut on it and flare it, or use a compression adapter fitting, but it makes it just that much more secure. The filter is a Purolator F10035/Wix 33081/Fram G3596. The carb thread is 1/8-27 male (NPT) and the inlet thread is 1/2-20 (for 5/16" tubing).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody know the wet float level setting and how to measure? The old kit rebuild instaructions that I have, do not provide a wet setting, just a dry.

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
Anybody know the wet float level setting and how to measure? The old kit rebuild instaructions that I have, do not provide a wet setting, just a dry.
Depends on the application. You might want to try 21/32" +/- 1/64" (dry) for starters.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just completed rebuilding a 4100 on my 66 GT with the Standard Motors kit 361D. I purchased through Summit for $28.99 and a new Motorcraft fuel filter. It's an A code car with a mild cam, Petronix, Hi-Po headers, so went with the standard 7.5 HG power valve. I reused the floats and needles as it was really in decent shape and only required a mild cleaning, but nearly all of the gaskets along with the diaphragms were toast. I also picked up a few cans of cleaner, Chem-Dip, and toothbrush. I set the floats with air horn assembly removed and the car running. Checked vacuum, timing, set idle mixture screws, and calibrated the choke. It was missing the heat riser. Runs and starts good now. Oh, also flipped the pedal rod to the correct side as it is incorrectly positioned in the photograph.

Standard Motor Carburetor Rebuild Kits 361D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts