Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Fastback 390 w/ Auto C6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on best book for the 390 FE engine? Looking for a book that would cover break down, assembly, modifications, diagram pictures. If such a book exists, or a good combination of books please let me know.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
There are some books out there. I think I bought one but honestly didn’t use it all the much. Most aftermarket products will give you specific new torque and clearance measurements so you almost don’t need it.

·
Premium Member
12,039 Posts
The FE engine has been around for more than 60 years now so there have probably been many books written about it. I believe Barry Robotnick is the current FE guru so I'd see if he has a book.

·
Registered
184 Posts
#1 on Barry Robotnick - his company survival motorsports is the go to for fe parts and advice - also hit up jay browns fe power site/forums - a bunch of great guys and info.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Barry Robotnick has a book which is great for performance based builds, Jay Brown has a great intake compare book however if you are doing a straight rebuild, Steve Christ's book is mandatory. All 3 books are available on eBay.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Lilmac, first get Steve Christs 'rebuild your FE', then Dr Rabotnicks 'High Performance FEs' and then J Browns 'great intake comparo'. Not sure if ANY of these books describe the oiling fixes, but we can walk you through them if they don't rescribe. LSG

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
How about "Ford Performance" by Pat Ganhal? I used it years ago to build a 390. Still have the book, sadly not the 390.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Yes remember the oil fixes. There was a kit you can buy which will get it all sorted.

Also check out Precision Oil Pumps

Just went out to the garage and yes it’s Steve Christ’s book that I used.

I really need to get my site back up but this page has a lot of detail and I used many of the same parts. This isn’t my site.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Umm,......no. there is no 'kit'. You have to do it yourself, and you have to know what to open up and what to leave alone. The Precision Oil Pumps stuff is very good, I bought all of my pumps from them. The DIY article has a few things they lifted from Dr Rabotnick, but they are NOT explaining how to do the feed between the pump and filter pad, or the #5 main restriction, or the cracked tube problem some blocks have,.....not a very helpful article. LSG

·
Registered
618 Posts
Definitely agree Steve Christ's book is very informative and helpful. When rebuilt my 390 I consulted Barry a couple times and purchased the rebuild kit from him. He is a wealth of knowledge and willing to take the time to explain things. I recommend you check out his website and give him a call.

Also do you homework on machine shops. I would only consider shops that know FE's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts