Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating to post this or not, but after lots of searching, all the other posts/forums seem irrelevant. At least, I think. (theyre from like 2001)
So, as of 2011, what are your favorite mustang restoration books?
I need a book that covers rust repair and dissassembly well, my dad and I are going to get started on our 68 soon.

I can definately see a service manual being purchased in my future...
Also, any dissassembly tips beyond bag and tag? Im going to take lots of pictures and notes and try to keep it organised.

thanks again
(sorry if this post is a time waster, and if I come off as a rude kid or a know itall I apologize)

·
Registered
637 Posts
For that year, this book might be a good pick:

It's a very in depth restoration of a '68 California Special, with lots of information about rust repair and disassembly. Perfect per your description I think. The only thing I didn't like was that the chapters and order of work seemed slightly out of order to me.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,662 Posts
Definitely get the shop manual, it's a must for most procedures / torque specs. Sometimes the internet is good for finding out how to do things, but a lot of people reference the shop manual. I picked up mine for $25 so they're not too expensive (though I guess it depends where you get them from)

If you're going through your engine, you'll probably want a book on specifically how to rebuild it - there are tons out there, and someone on here can probably suggest the best one to get.

Some tapes on rust repair would also be really helpful. I don't know about you, but I'm very visual so I can read something and not understand it, but if someone shows me the same thing I'll remember it for forever. Some random dude gave me like 10 VHS tapes on rust repair, but I'm farming my bodywork out so they're not much use to me...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts