Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking everywhere for a great disc brake conversion kit (either front only with proportioning valve) or full 4 wheel conversion with power.
Running V8 spindles and drums all around right now with manual / standard master cyl.

What have you guys found works best?

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
CSRP and Chockostang are both Supporting Vendors of this website and both sell kits that include new copies of the old Kelsey Hayes disc brakes that were optional on the '65-'67 Mustangs. These kits are a bolt-on swap but allow yourself a weekend to complete the job. No power booster available from the factory and none needed now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You forgot to include you budget and intentions of what you need in a brake system, that is the most important factor in choosing what is right for you. If you want something upgaded and not worried about performance than the kelsey hase kits as mentioned above would be better than stock. If you want performance on a budget then i would recommend mustang steve conversion brackets and newer gt 12'' disc or even better the 03/04 cobra 13'' brakes. If budget is not a concern then there are several companies that make stuff even better than the oem ford performance stuff. Keep in mind the maintenance/ replacement cost of aftermarket brakes, and the quality of parts as well are all things to consider when choosing something.

Myself i went with the 03/04 cobra setup because of cost and availability due to they are oem parts. It is a badass brake setup for the money.
the front was $220 mustang steve adapter brackets. $200 for pbr cobra calipers, $200 for stoptech slotted rotors. Wont find a better brake system for $600

wilwood makes a quality performance brake setup for about $800-900
ssbc makes several different kits ranging $600 and up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah yes... Well a full brake system maybe 2k max. I don't plan on tracking the car. But I also don't want my anus puckering any more with these drums. A modern OEM setup would be cool. I have 17" minilites on the way, so I should be able to clear most of the conversion kits.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Check out mustangsteve.com

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Vendor
5,279 Posts
Ah yes... Well a full brake system maybe 2k max. I don't plan on tracking the car. But I also don't want my anus puckering any more with these drums. A modern OEM setup would be cool. I have 17" minilites on the way, so I should be able to clear most of the conversion kits.
For 17" wheels I would strongly suggest maximizing the rotor diameter. You will gain greater mechanical leverage over a smaller diameter rotor. Our 13" front/12" rear package works so well you won't need a power booster. In fact, I'd recommend not using one and keeping it manual on a 65-66 car, you'll have much better pedal feel with these systems this way, more room in the engine bay and no vacuum issues to deal with. Certainly not hard to wail on the brakes with moderate leg effort. Use a 1" bore master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve, that's it.

STBPACKAGE4 - 1965-73 Mustang 13" front & 12" rear brake systems

Consists of our front 13"x1.25" system complete with 2 piece USA made rotors, forged aluminum USA made calipers, USA made Timken bearings and seals, hubs, braided stainless flex hoses and USA made CNC'd brackets:

And our 12"x.810" rear system with USA made forged 4 piston calipers, parking brake mechanism's, parking brake cables and stainless braided hoses:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've pretty much sold me. I'm going to PM you for some additional information on Suspension setup.

For 17" wheels I would strongly suggest maximizing the rotor diameter. You will gain greater mechanical leverage over a smaller diameter rotor. Our 13" front/12" rear package works so well you won't need a power booster. In fact, I'd recommend not using one and keeping it manual on a 65-66 car, you'll have much better pedal feel with these systems this way, more room in the engine bay and no vacuum issues to deal with. Certainly not hard to wail on the brakes with moderate leg effort. Use a 1" bore master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve, that's it.

STBPACKAGE4 - 1965-73 Mustang 13" front & 12" rear brake systems

Consists of our front 13"x1.25" system complete with 2 piece USA made rotors, forged aluminum USA made calipers, USA made Timken bearings and seals, hubs, braided stainless flex hoses and USA made CNC'd brackets:

And our 12"x.810" rear system with USA made forged 4 piston calipers, parking brake mechanism's, parking brake cables and stainless braided hoses:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts