Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - opinions for a good restomod brake system for a '65. I currently have Granada front disc, rebuilt stock rear drums, non-power dual master from a '67 Mustang. Looking for some strong brakes at a reasonable cost. Also looking to upgrade to a 9" rear end, but should I go disc / disc, or rear drum / shoe upgrades like the Vintage racers do. Any trick upgrades for the Granda discs?
Primary use is on the street, don't anticpate any track use for some time.

Thanks ........

·
Registered
228 Posts
Personally, since you're primary use is on the street, the only changes I'd even consider from you're current set-up would be maybe wider drums like the GT350s or Mach1s used and maybe a power-booster. One more, if the Granadas aren't the 11" ones, maybe upgrade to those. I don't see much benefit on the street from anything more than that. Also, assuming you have an 8" rear, why change to a 9". Unless you're running DOT slicks on your street car you can't put enough torque down with normal tires to hurt it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That newbie thing is like a big red target on my back isn't it? Who do I have to sleep with to get that upgraded?

·
Registered
288 Posts
For a street driven restomod the Granada brakes are as good as you will ever need. If you decide to go with a 9" rearend though I would locate a nice Versailles rearend for rear disks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are you having a problem with your brakes?? The granada's should do just fine if they are getting enough pressure.. might add an adjustable valve tothe rear to tune the bias... Maybe if you add a power booster you will be happier?

That newbie thing is like a big red target on my back isn't it? Who do I have to sleep with to get that upgraded?
His name Is BOB

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You asked for "Best", then you mention money... :: Don't you know that the 2 are mutually exclusive? :: Buy the best brakes you can afford. IMO, you should spend $1 on brakes for every $2 you spend on an engine...

"Good enough for street use" never is. Yeah, maybe the difference between stopping in 120" and 110" IS a $1000. Money well spent when that truck is stopped 115 feet in front of you... ::

So, how much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess best is sort of a broad term, may not mean the same to me as it does to you. To me, Baer brake kits are out of the question, just too many other things that I could use that kind of money on. Actually brakes are pretty good right now, but I like to tweak. I was hoping someone had already gone this route and could suggest ways to take it to the next level. Maybe pad upgrades for the front discs, drum / pad combos for the rear?

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
To me, Baer brake kits are out of the question
And with this I remain out of this discussion. Anyone who says Granada brakes are enough for any condition/road/track/whatever has never experienced Baer or some of the other aftermarket options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts