Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey chaps,

The season is upon us and my little guy is now 14 months old and a whopping 30lbs.. He loves car noises. I've got a forward facing seat for my Taco (thats an absolute pain in the *** to get in and out) and am looking for something that would work, forward facing, for the back of my '65.

The laws here allow for children over 1 yr and 22lbs to be forward facing. I know they're a bit different in 'Merica.

I do have rear lap belts. I'm not opposed to installing the latches.. although I have no means to use the top tether. Would prefer something off the seat belt.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Clearly you'll want to use the concours correct Ford child seat or vest to be period correct in your safety systems.
67FordAccessories.jpg

How could anything else possibly compete with the styling of that padded seat with the bright red harness?

Ok seriously I just needed an excuse to post that picture. Good luck finding something that's easy to use in the Mustang and keeps your son safe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Magnus : Your Posting of that picture from the 1967 Ford Accessory Catalog just gave me an excuse to Post pictures of my actual one.
Unfortunately, this was a "short lived" accessory for Ford (1966 & 67), since by the end of the 1967 Model Year, it no longer met current safety standards, and Ford had to come up with a different one for 1968.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Whoa...! Thanks for the pics of this thing Bob! I can honestly say that I've never seen one of these..except for in the Ford Catalog...

It also says "Front Seat Only"..

That in itself would be illegal today in all 50 states. Believe that all children 5 years of age and under must by law ride in the back seat buckled, or buckled into a Child Safety Seat facing the rear of the car if 3 years of age or under.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That in itself would be illegal today in all 50 states. Believe that all children 5 years of age and under must by law ride in the back seat buckled, or buckled into a Child Safety Seat facing the rear of the car if 3 years of age or under.

Since I still have a few that are young enough to need these seats (which, by the way are way safer than the things I remember riding around in)...

I don't think there's any law that is the same for every state, but nearly all of them are based on age or weight. Some are based on height. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests facing children to the rear of the car until 2 years old. This is, I'm told, due to the lessened impact on bone structure on an impact from the front or rear. I've read that the UK's pediatric association recommends keeping them rear-facing (for the same reason) until they're 4. I can only imagine what fresh hell it would be to get a 4 year old into a rear facing car seat every day...

But that's neither here nor there on the OP question: I'd definitely recommend the tethering posts if you can install them. The safety features in these old cars are non-existent. Give your kids as much protection as possible. Check out this video for why:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Magnus : Your Posting of that picture from the 1967 Ford Accessory Catalog just gave me an excuse to Post pictures of my actual one.
Unfortunately, this was a "short lived" accessory for Ford (1966 & 67), since by the end of the 1967 Model Year, it no longer met current safety standards, and Ford had to come up with a different one for 1968.

Bob
Holy cow one of these things actually exists!

Like Tony I've only ever seen that in the catalog.

Ok, now we can get back to Rowdy's actual question about something that might legitimately provide some kind of protection and not just put his 'little "astronaut" in his very own seat'. Like that cool Sparco link there.

·
Registered
607 Posts
We went with something similar to in the link below. I can't find the exact model we have, but its been a couple years since we purchased it, so the model may no longer be available. I found in my 67 coupe, the base of the child seat needed to be on the smaller side to fit correctly and in a more upright position. I measured the depth of the car seat bottom so I had a baseline when looking at the child seat options. My little guy has enjoyed the last two seasons cruising and this year his little bro will get to join us, so I will be in the market for another seat as well.

I have a standard lap belt, which seems to work just fine with the child seat. I usually place my knee on the child seat and put my weight into it and pull the belt real tight. I lay a thick bath towel down first and then set the seat on the towel to protect the cars seat. I know they may the seat protectors (have them in our daily drivers), but a thick towel works just fine for the Stang.

Happy cruising, the smile on your boys face will be priceless!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Finale-2-in-1-Booster-Car-Seat-Flight/55704257

1 - 8 of 8 Posts