Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Coupe | 331 Stoker | T5z | Candy Apple Red
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Plug & Play style Distributor. MSD... Petronix... not looking to break the bank. I’m running a 331 stroker. Not sure what other details are needed for recommendations.

Anyone know of a good deal?

T

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a used MSD 83521...ready to run...Billet...
Buddy converted over to fuel injection, I ended up with this in some horse trading.

Make me a far offer.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,028 Posts
When people say "HEI" they are generally referring to the large distributor setup GM came out with in the 1970's. They sell a modified version that can be fitted to Fords that many find overly large and obtrusive looking. However if you said you were looking for a "high energy ignition" no one would have blinked. :) Car people.

·
I won a special award
7,617 Posts
This is what's generally known as a HEI distributor. Like GypsyR said, it was a GM designed distributor. This is one an aftermarket company makes to fit Ford small blocks. n Personally I wouldn't want anything that monstrous in the front of my engine. There are plenty of other electronic distributors out there that are much smaller and work better.

Reactions: Klutch

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
There are large body "HEI" like the one directly above and small body "HEI" like the MSD billet, Pertronix billet, etc.
They are kind of roughly categorized like that.
Large body has the ignition module guts inside the cap. Small body is outside the cap somewhere.....

Reactions: Maxum96

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the clarification I’m a newbie for this stuff. I just know that I wanna plug and play and would rather not have an extra box somewhere. And I certainly don’t want a huge monstrous one.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Thanks for the clarification I’m a newbie for this stuff. I just know that I wanna plug and play and would rather not have an extra box somewhere. And I certainly don’t want a huge monstrous one.
Two edged sword..... the big HEI unit is self contained and big/ugly..... and we all know how electronic components just love heat. Where better
to have an ignition module than at the top of a distributor?
The small body HEI units need modules somewhere..... in general under the hood...... and we all know how electronic components love heat.
(so now you're stuck thermally "mapping" all the possible under hood locations)

·
Registered
37,168 Posts
Two edged sword..... the big HEI unit is self contained and big/ugly..... and we all know how electronic components just love heat. Where better
to have an ignition module than at the top of a distributor?
The small body HEI units need modules somewhere..... in general under the hood...... and we all know how electronic components love heat.
(so now you're stuck thermally "mapping" all the possible under hood locations)
Actually, on the GM HEI the ignition module is INSIDE the distributor, attached to the breaker plate, where it is exposed to a crapload of high-frequency EMI and needs conductive grease to utilize the breaker plate as a heat-sink to keep it from overheating. Really, what the HEI did, for GM, was greatly simplify the assembly-line process. Drop in the distributor, connect one wire... bam!.

When I install "solid-state" ignition systems in old Fords, it's with a DurasparkII distributor and a Mopar ECU which, I consider, the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
With the Pertronix, everything is also contained under the distributor cap. I have a Pertronix II distributor and haven't had any issues with it, other than a cracked tower on the cap, since 2014. You'll get a lot of opinions if you ask about Pertronix, but I won't get into it here. I'm switching back to a Motorcraft dual point distributor when this new engine goes into the Mustang.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the Pertronix, everything is also contained under the distributor cap. I have a Pertronix II distributor and haven't had any issues with it, other than a cracked tower on the cap, since 2014. You'll get a lot of opinions if you ask about Pertronix, but I won't get into it here. I'm switching back to a Motorcraft dual point distributor when this new engine goes into the Mustang.
Curious as to why you are you switching?

·
I won a special award
7,617 Posts
I run a Crane distributor with a MSD coil and MSD 6AL2 box. I put the box inside the car behind the glove box. I can change the timing curve on the distributor by just turning the dial on the front. Unfortunately Crane went under a few years back and the new Crane company is not making them. I believe FAST picked up the design although.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have the MSD Ready to Run in my 5.0 and really like it. Easy to setup and adjust the timing/timing curve. It is not cheap though so if you can find a used one for less, go for it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I initially went with the ugly looking huge HEI dizzy and had to ship it back because that's all I noticed when I opened up the hood. I settled on a Pertronix dizzy as well as their ignition coil because of the fact that you don't need to run a separate ignition box and because of the price. You can get the Pertronix dizzy and their dizzy coil for less than the price of an MSD dizzy by itself or even the MSD box by itself. My setup currently costs around $320 on Summit's website, whereas both the MSD dizzy and ignition box are $320 a piece. I'd rather save the extra $300 and go put it towards something else.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
For the money, a Ford Duraspark and Ford (or Mopar) box is hard to beat. You can get the whole set AND get the curve set at the Mustang Barn for less than the Pertronix dizzy. Granted, no bling, but rock solid reliable...and will spin to 6,000+ no problem.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Curious as to why you are you switching?
Mainly because I like to experiment. I have two Motorcraft dual point distributors that I've had since the 1980's, and never had any problems with them. I bought one new for $50 right after I bought my 65 back in 1980 and still have it. Most likely I'll put one in the engine to get it up and running...it's one I used as a backup to my Pertronix when I went on long road trips, so I know it works. The other one I'll send out to get it recurved and see how well it runs. I'm sure I'll have no issues with either one, but if I do, I can always go back to the Pertronix that has worked well for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I initially went with the ugly looking huge HEI dizzy and had to ship it back because that's all I noticed when I opened up the hood. I settled on a Pertronix dizzy as well as their ignition coil because of the fact that you don't need to run a separate ignition box and because of the price. You can get the Pertronix dizzy and their dizzy coil for less than the price of an MSD dizzy by itself or even the MSD box by itself. My setup currently costs around $320 on Summit's website, whereas both the MSD dizzy and ignition box are $320 a piece. I'd rather save the extra $300 and go put it towards something else.

Thx for the feedback

1 - 19 of 19 Posts