Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's thoughts on the best performing, highest quality, easiest installing Firewall pad for a '68 convertible? It is a non-air car but a I'm planning to install a vintage air unit, so I suppose I'd want one for a car with air.

·
Registered
34,183 Posts
Well, for me it would be a layer of heat insulation covered with a layer of sound deadener. If you're going for the "stock" look then there's the OE reproduction pad. I used Reflectix foil-backed insulation from Home Depot followed by self-adhesive foil-backed butyl-rubber flashing tape from H-D as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quietride is excellent! My underside would get stupid hot, that Quietride pad did wonders to address the header heat through the floorboard. Let me say something awesome about the folks at Quietride. I recently did a heaterbox delete and asked them to send me the pad cutout for the heaterbox so I could fill in the hot spot. Shipped without a problem. Great product, great service.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Can't recall the brand name, but I got an economy version online and the top quality 'stock' version from NPD at the same time. (2 cars in the shop at the same time). The 'better' quality was a very nice piece, fit great, holes punched accurately, easy to install. The economy version was a joke- holes didn't line up, fit like a universal piece, and the retainers broke immediately. Don't cheap out would be my advice... lol

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Im making my own. One layer of foil backed insulation and I have a piece of 1/2 in closed cell foam that I will use to go over that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Well, for me it would be a layer of heat insulation covered with a layer of sound deadener. If you're going for the "stock" look then there's the OE reproduction pad. I used Reflectix foil-backed insulation from Home Depot followed by self-adhesive foil-backed butyl-rubber flashing tape from H-D as well.

This except I used dynamat in addition to the relfectix. Also used it on the trans tunnel and the front footwells.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Decided to go with the raptor liner on the underside and in the inside with sound deadener over it. Hoping it will work better than a dash pad up front.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
How did you attach the Reflectix? Looking at it it seems like it's designed to be stapled. I don't think I want to go stapling that too my car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided to go with the raptor liner on the underside and in the inside with sound deadener over it. Hoping it will work better than a dash pad up front.
That's a real option I've been exploring. At this point my thinking is: Raptor coat underneath, Lizard skin in passenger compartment, inner rear fender wells, inside of doors. Then follow that up with dynamat or equivalent. Thinking about adding a stock looking dashpad, for additional heat protection and aesthetics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts