Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a rear axle for a 67.
Planning on TCP rear components.
I want to have disc brake also.
I know there are lots 9" fords around.
What is the best one to source?
I don't want to get limited with backspacing issues. Is the 54" the best width.
A friend may have a 66 rear end for sale. Wanted to see if it would work? I found a 54" for $700??
Thanks

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
A 67-70 9" would be best, I've found them for less than $200 without looking. A 66 rear would be narrower but the 65-66 9" are worth a fair bit of money as compared to the later models.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If I could find any 9" rearends for 65-70 Mustangs for less than $200.00, I'd buy everyone of them. I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $350.00+. I live in sunny Tucson where rust is but a rumor, and old cars are as common as sunshine (so you'd think rearends would be plentiful!), and I can't even touch that price, and when I find a "mustang" rear end, it's usually a rearend from another car/truck that will "fit" a mustang, but invariably DOESN'T! Also, more bad news, your friend's 1966 rearend most likely is NOT a 9" unless it was from a Shelby or HiPo car. Hope this helps in some small way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link, that is what I was wanting to see.
Turns out, no 9" rear from the friend. He didn't have one at all. Just alot of motors.
I was hoping there was some magical source of rear ends that fit the mustang width and spring perch wise.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a 9" rear out of a Granada. The perches are the same and it is a little narrower than a 67-70 rear so it gave me much needed space around the fender lip. My rear came with disc brakes and it was $400.

·
Registered
765 Posts
68EFIvert said:
I have a 9" rear out of a Granada. The perches are the same and it is a little narrower than a 67-70 rear so it gave me much needed space around the fender lip. My rear came with disc brakes and it was $400.
Yep. The '75-'80 Granadas/Monarchs were (optionally) available with the same 9-inch disc brake rears that came as standard equipment in the '77-'80 Versailles. This is a '79 Versailles under my '68:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9452/versaillesrearendpl2.jpg

There was also an optional 9-inch drum brake rear end available in the '75-'80 Granadas/Monarchs. This one from an '80 Monarch [Versailles disc brake housing on top --large axle bearing, Monarch 9-inch drum brake housing --small axle bearing, on bottom] : http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2947/monarch9inchandversailltp9.jpg

Both these rear ends have the same 43-inch center-to-center distance on the spring perches as the '65-'73 Mustangs, and the same 52¼" (bare) housing width as the '65/'66 Mustangs.

'67-'70 Mustangs and Cougars have 54¼" (bare) housing widths with perches on 43-inch centers. Most '67-'70 Mustangs will have 8-inch rears. The big-block versions will have 9-inch rears. In the case of the '69-'70 Cougars, they all came with 9-inch rears regardless of V-8 engine size.

'57-'59 Ford big cars came with 9-inch rears with 52¼" (bare) housing widths and perches on 43-inch centers. The regular '57-'59 passenger cars had small axle bearings, while the '57-'59 Ford station wagons and Rancheros had large axle bearings.

I converted the '80 Monarch (formerly) drum brake 9-inch rear over to Cobra rear discs. This is how it turned out: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9008/cobrabrakehosemount0243uy9.jpg

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
ZFORCE said:
If I could find any 9" rearends for 65-70 Mustangs for less than $200.00, I'd buy everyone of them. I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $350.00+. I live in sunny Tucson where rust is but a rumor, and old cars are as common as sunshine (so you'd think rearends would be plentiful!), and I can't even touch that price, and when I find a "mustang" rear end, it's usually a rearend from another car/truck that will "fit" a mustang, but invariably DOESN'T! Also, more bad news, your friend's 1966 rearend most likely is NOT a 9" unless it was from a Shelby or HiPo car. Hope this helps in some small way.

I got mine in the SF bay area for about $200 (maybe $225).

As for rust being a rumor, that works against you. The more rusted out cars there are, the more parts there are floating around. Think about it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got mine quickly and cheaply throu Ford Muscle .com website

click on classifieds and drivetrain. Mine came cleaned up and included Mosler axles and long studs. $300

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, I just grabbed a Cougar 9" on ehay.
Noticed this post as I went to bid.
Thanks for the advice, now for the disc break upgrade

1 - 11 of 11 Posts