Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! As of today I am 75% done with saving up for all new suspension parts, but while I'm waiting I wanted to change out my header gaskets. I think a loose bolt or two (pesky things!) caused a blowout on one or both sides of my headers. I'm looking to replace the gaskets. I hear there are very good, "thick" gaskets that last longer and create a better seal to the heads. Any suggestions? Any and all info is appreciated as always! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
go to a local speed shop if possible, you can get the copper kind ( i think thats what they are made of ). they are blowout proof and can even be reused. i know some ppl who use them and have no troubles at all

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Just the reason I left headers in my youth :) While you are changing out the gasket, there are header bolts available that won't loosen like mine always did. Johnpro mentioned them in a previous post, but I don't remember who makes them, or where you buy them. Maybe he, or someone else who knows, will chime in and give you that information. Sounds like they are really worth the money spent.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Besides the Copper I've heard good things about Percy's Gaskets:
http://www.percyshp.com/sealgas.html

Stage 8 makes the locking header bolts.

Running a longer header bolt will keep 'em in too. The more thread engagement you have, the less likely they are to loosen. The header bolts on my Sandersons are long, about twice as long as the ones that came with the Hedman's I just ordered. I'll be using my old header bolts when I do the swap soon.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Here is the info for the Percy gaskets from Summit. #PHP-66014, $34.95.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
SCE or MR Gasket copper header gaskets are good....I am running SCE copper gaskets myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts