Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Nearing the end of making a parts list for our '68 cruiser (302/AOD) and am looking for advice on intakes. So far we have decided on:

170 TFS heads

Custom Hyd RollerCam (1500-6000 range)

1.6 Roller Rockers

Long Tube HDRS

2400-2600 Stall Converter

3.90-4.10 R/P (AOD trans already installed)

Currently Has a 650 Holley

Right now it has a knock off air gap type intake (no markings at all),I'm assuming that it is an imported Ebay special. Wondering what the best set up for an intake would be. The cam will be all done by 6000 so I want something that will be matched for the 1500-6000 range the motor will be in. Any advice??

Thanks!!

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,670 Posts
Your wants and specs say "Weiand Stealth" to me, right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
If you are truly getting a custom cam, the cam designer will work with whatever intake you choose. If you have a guy on the hook for designing the cam, let him pick. If it were me, I would buy the heads from him set up with the spring package required for the cam.

Have you seen the order sheet for your custom cam?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are truly getting a custom cam, the cam designer will work with whatever intake you choose. If you have a guy on the hook for designing the cam, let him pick. If it were me, I would buy the heads from him set up with the spring package required for the cam.

Have you seen the order sheet for your custom cam?
The cam will either come from FTI (Ed Curtis) who I hear great things about but never used them OR Comp, who has done our custom work for the race car over the years--still undecided at this point. I did look at Ed's spec sheet and it is very specific so I do like that although Comp usually had me on the phone for nearly a half hour with the questions so I'm sure that either one will be fine for a fun cruiser type build that we are involved with.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Definitely go with Ed Curtis. Tell him you want the same cam as mr_velocity You're doing almost the same setup as me
302HO bottom
Ed Curtis roller Cam
TF TrackHeat 170 heads
FPA long tube headers
Stealth intake (ed like the air gap a little more but I like the stealth)
FB Performance Pro Street 4R70W
3.55:1 9" trac-loc rear.

Just be aware, with Ed's cam you'll be changing springs, 145 - 150 on the seat

Ed is a great guy to deal with, I can't say enough good things about him. You need to give Ed all the specs so he can put your grind together.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
intake

Reb, +1 on the weiand stealth recommendation, the 8020. They look pretty good. Thats what I'm buying for my 302, a similar build but with ported 351W ported heads. LSG

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely go with Ed Curtis. Tell him you want the same cam as mr_velocity You're doing almost the same setup as me
302HO bottom
Ed Curtis roller Cam
TF TrackHeat 170 heads
FPA long tube headers
Stealth intake (ed like the air gap a little more but I like the stealth)
FB Performance Pro Street 4R70W
3.55:1 9" trac-loc rear.

Just be aware, with Ed's cam you'll be changing springs, 145 - 150 on the seat

Ed is a great guy to deal with, I can't say enough good things about him. You need to give Ed all the specs so he can put your grind together.
Sounds good. Not a real big deal about the springs. Just curious, is your finished--hows it run??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reb, +1 on the weiand stealth recommendation, the 8020. They look pretty good. Thats what I'm buying for my 302, a similar build but with ported 351W ported heads. LSG
It seems that the majority are recomending the Stealth.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Personally, I'd listen to Ed over anyones recommendations on this forum. Ed knows his way around a sbf. Ask him what he would use given the rest of your build. I believe that Ed uses Comp lobe profiles and has Comp grind the cams; at least my cam from him used a Comp lobe and came in a Comp box. He is great to work with and I highly recommend him.

Just more food for thought, there are alot of guys out there with very fast 302's running a Weiand Xcellerator intake. Its a low rise, single plane intake. Since you are going custom I would have zero reservations about running a single plane intake. As I said before ask Ed, he is going to know more than anyone on this forum and if he is going to be doing your camshaft I would want him to help me select an intake if I was unsure.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Some of the Chi-Com knockoff intakes (Professional Products) perform about as well as the "original" intakes and some (Pro-Comp) are pretty awful.
Find out which one you have first. You can always change it later.
Your cam choice will be much more important.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that Ed uses Comp lobe profiles and has Comp grind the cams; at least my cam from him used a Comp lobe and came in a Comp box. He is great to work with and I highly recommend him.
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.................ultimately, Comp grinds the cam--Ed picks the specs and requests that through Comp--sounds like you pay for Ed's recomendations (fair enough). Now, not to minimize Ed's expertice but, if Ed is asking me the same questions that Comp does (I've bought 2 custom cams directly from Comp for our race program and they are very through on the phone), is Ed not sort of like a middle man?? Not trying to dismiss any of the advice given here but I am wondering what Ed can do for me that Comp cannot? Just want to get all the info I can before we pull the trigger.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of the Chi-Com knockoff intakes (Professional Products) perform about as well as the "original" intakes and some (Pro-Comp) are pretty awful.
Find out which one you have first. You can always change it later.
Your cam choice will be much more important.
Agreed, a Chinese knock of can't possibly be as good as something made here. I've looked it over real well but I can't see any markings--it'
s still on the motor so maybe there is something on the underside. I'l talk intakes with the cam grinder but right now I'm leaning to the Stealth.

I'd like to have all the parts at once so I can do the HCI swap over a 7 day period that I am setting aside in May so it's not a big rush as I get all the info I can.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
While I don't know Ed, is suspect that he might be smarter than Comp's phone monkeys.
The extra you spend could well be worth it.
BTW the Professional Products intakes don't have any logos. That sounds like what you have.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
What you get from someone on the phone at Comp depends on who you get on the phone. I've never ordered a custom camshaft from Comp, but I have never had any luck with anyone who answers the phone at that company knowing anything other than what is on their computer screen. They are about one step above Auto Zone. If you have someone you know at Comp, that you trust completely that is a different story. There are obviously people at Comp Cams that really know their stuff; if you get them on the other side of the line, that is a different story.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
1 I am think about purely for looks and performance is the Cobra intake replica S2MS by blue thunder. Very pricey but looks the part. Just a thought.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sounds good. Not a real big deal about the springs. Just curious, is your finished--hows it run??

Thanks!!
Parts are coming in, Ed had trouble getting Morel roller lifters but I see they shipped yesterday. Still can't say enough good things about Ed, he'll hook you up. Also just ordered my 650 cfm 4150 carb from Bigs, that's 3 weeks out as are the FPA headers. Should have the motor done in about a month then off to the dyno, the car has 6 months of work left.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here.................ultimately, Comp grinds the cam--Ed picks the specs and requests that through Comp--sounds like you pay for Ed's recomendations (fair enough). Now, not to minimize Ed's expertice but, if Ed is asking me the same questions that Comp does (I've bought 2 custom cams directly from Comp for our race program and they are very through on the phone), is Ed not sort of like a middle man?? Not trying to dismiss any of the advice given here but I am wondering what Ed can do for me that Comp cannot? Just want to get all the info I can before we pull the trigger.

Thanks!!
My Curtis cam came in a lunati box, could it be because I got a billet core cam?
Ed will know the motor better than comp so who's to say you're getting the same grind or lobe profile? I know for a fact that Ed is designing "packages" for some of the big name manufacturers, who is really the brains?

Morel makes lifters which are repackaged by Crane, Comp and Lunati, so why buy either from any of those brands?

If you want to know what Ed and FTI can do for you, google him. Haven't read anything bad, the boys on the LS1 forums think he's a god.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
My Curtis cam came in a lunati box, could it be because I got a billet core cam?
Ed will know the motor better than comp so who's to say you're getting the same grind or lobe profile? I know for a fact that Ed is designing "packages" for some of the big name manufacturers, who is really the brains?

Morel makes lifters which are repackaged by Crane, Comp and Lunati, so why buy either from any of those brands?

If you want to know what Ed and FTI can do for you, google him. Haven't read anything bad, the boys on the LS1 forums think he's a god.
be careful. the internet is an easy place to create legends and Gods. some forums heavily push the site supporters so it's easy to get biased responses.

your cam didn't come from lunati because it's billet.

what's the part number of your morel lifters?

are you running LS duals? i would question if there is anything special about his recommended spring pressure on a hydraulic roller.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts