Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best "heat" insulation for the interior? There are COUNTLESS threads on sound deadeners, but my understanding is that sound deadeners are different from heat insulation (or school me if I'm wrong).

In my 1-hour commute each way every day, the interior gets pretty toasty and the carpet is very warm to the touch due to the 2.5" dual exhaust and H pipe. With no AC, and no plans for AC, the original interior needs a refresh and some insulation.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
i won't say this is the best, but i used a pretty easy to install kit from quiet ride solutions that has insulation. i also kept the jute that was attached to the carpet.

i'm going off of poor memory, but i thought it was about 1/2 to 3/4" thick.

QuietRide Solutions

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Lizardskin makes a product for this - it's a spray-on ceramic insulation that is supposedly really amazing.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
The cheap way out (for heat and sound insulation) is Frost King duct insulation. Get it at the local home improvement store.

It's also lightweight and easy to install. And it's actually DESIGNED to be a thermal barrier. The sound insulation qualities are just a plus.

If you want to go crazy, you could ceramic coat your entire exhaust :p

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I used EZ Cool auto insul heat // frp, TX on my 94 conv floor .. cheap and easy next under the 66 mustang roof and under the carpet .. !!! go ez cool !

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
An important aspect for interior barrier to actually work is air gap or space between the floor and reflective layer. Otherwise convection just goes right through w/ o being reflected back. So ya, most products dont do that but make you think theyre effective. I did 2 layers of frost king and one layer of reflectix over those. Reflectix is a very durable material whereas the frost king foil layer tears more readily. I used spray adhesive to bond reflectix to frost king. Cost was 140 for all and not heavy either. Should be much more effective than the overpriced stuff w/o adding much weight. Took out the tin can drone also really nicely.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I used double foiled jute. Has foil on both sides. Then mass backed carpet. Does pretty well in az

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,727 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
If I, for some reason, had a gas fire raging under the car, a fiberglass and foil based insulation would be just about the only thing I would want.

On my firewall, I used a butyl based product, like dynomat but cheaper, for sound, with a layer of fiberglass insulation on top (thermotec, I believe?) for heat and fire protection.

I'm terrified of an under-dash fire.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Think of some sort of heat shielding between the pipes and the floor too.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. You're giving me lots of options to consider.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Well here's one more.

I used this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-180025/overview/

It should be noted that it looks different than in their picture on summit. It should also be noted that you can use aluminum flashing tape to seal the edges and bond pieces together. I went this route because it was the most OEM type material I could find and have had really good results with it so far. Even with my long tubes and no carpet in the car yet you don't feel the heat from the headers coming through the floor. It's pretty amazing how well it works actually. Not the cheapest option in the world but I would definitely use it again.

Looked like this once I got it installed, you can't really even see it with the motor in. I did the firewall half way down to about where the shifter comes through the trans tunnel. and I still have enough left to put some above my mufflers if I want to.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I used Lizard Skin - both the ceramic thermal insulation and the sound deadener. It sprays on very easily - just make sure you mask everything you don't want sprayed since the stuff tends to splatter a bit. I have dual 2.5" pipes running through the tunnel and I am also running catalytic converters and the temperature in the car stays very reasonable. The only place I notice any heat coming through is around my parking brake handle (my handle is a center mount on the tunnel). The body has a very solid feel to it - no tin can sounds at all. The roof sounds amazing when you tap on it. Just a nice dull thud instead of a hollow can sound. I sprayed the inside of my doors and they sound nice and solid when I close them.

Here's some pictures:

Reactions: mo4444
1 - 20 of 26 Posts