Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used Lizard Skin - both the ceramic thermal insulation and the sound deadener. It sprays on very easily - just make sure you mask everything you don't want sprayed since the stuff tends to splatter a bit. I have dual 2.5" pipes running through the tunnel and I am also running catalytic converters and the temperature in the car stays very reasonable. The only place I notice any heat coming through is around my parking brake handle (my handle is a center mount on the tunnel). The body has a very solid feel to it - no tin can sounds at all. The roof sounds amazing when you tap on it. Just a nice dull thud instead of a hollow can sound. I sprayed the inside of my doors and they sound nice and solid when I close them.

Here's some pictures:

am looking to buy this Lizardskin and I have previously bough quiet ride solutions as a double insulation can I install it on top of it

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
I also used the Frost King product. I like it because it has a reflective barrier on each side and insulation in the middle. I used the self-adhesive butyl and foil sound deadener in those places where I wanted to absorb vibration and noise.... inside the doors and inner quarter panels, under the rear seat and inner wheel houses, over the transition pan, upper firewall, seat pans and kick panels.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
+ 1 on Reflectix - I have used it on two cars and will use it again. I used sound deadening paint (undercoat) added new factory type rubber underlayment with the Reflectix and it stopped all the heat from the engine compartment and transmission area. You can set your hand on the hump and there is no heat entering the passenger compartment

Reactions: cruising68

·
Registered
773 Posts
I can see with the Lizard Skin that it would be easy to spray into areas just about impossible to apply an adhesive mat product to. I was thinking I would not do lizard skin, but I may rethink that.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
+ 1 on Reflectix - I have used it on two cars and will use it again. I used sound deadening paint (undercoat) added new factory type rubber underlayment with the Reflectix and it stopped all the heat from the engine compartment and transmission area. You can set your hand on the hump and there is no heat entering the passenger compartment
I can confirm functionality. After six months in Florida, the tunnel and floor pans stay cool to the touch. I used dynamat on the sheetmetal followed by Reflectix from the firewall to the back of the front seats, then carpet insulation and carpet. It's a convertible so it's not like it is sealed up but there is a significant improvement to the heat felt by the driver. Used to require AC all the time, now it is quite comfortable up to about 85 degrees without the AC even running. Of course it's always nice to have cold air blowing on you.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts