Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going in my 69. I'm using a TKO, clutch cable, and lakewood bellhousing. I have super comps in my 70 and man they are tight. The engine will be a 408.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I tried a cable clutch with my Hedman long tubes and it didn't work. It may have been because I am also running R&P though. I went with a hydraulic clutch instead and glad I did now. A little more money both worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
what is r&p? ron morris something something? if so.... i have the same setup. hedman full length and the cable setup. works fine. i've even got power brakes

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
chatas1 said:
This is going in my 69. I'm using a TKO, clutch cable, and lakewood bellhousing. I have super comps in my 70 and man they are tight. The engine will be a 408.

Thanks.
Mustang Steve makes a couple suggestions for his set-up. Look here, scroll down almost to the bottom.
Later,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Mustang Steve setup is won't work for 1969. Thanks for the info. though....

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Easiest solution is a hydraulic clutch kit. But FPA makes a nice set of cable compatible headers.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
getlive65 said:
what is r&p? ron morris something something? if so.... i have the same setup. hedman full length and the cable setup. works fine. i've even got power brakes
I'm sorry, I meant rack and Pinion steering. I originally tried the Mustang Steve kit and it was a tight fit with the the headman's but it worked. I added the Steeroids rack and there was no way it was going to work. The steering shaft went right through where the cable was. I had to choose either cable clutch or my rack. Well, it wasn't really difficult to choose.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
chatas1 said:
The Mustang Steve setup is won't work for 1969. Thanks for the info. though....
http://www.mediamax.com/ynned/Hosted/homer_simpson_doh.jpg

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
chata' -

I'm in the same boat - '69 smallblock, cable clutch, Tremec 5 spd.

I tried my long tube Hedman's that I had for the automatic - no go. The clutch cable needed to go right thru several of the tubes.

I've got a set of Hedman (I think) shorties on now, the clutch fits by them but it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get the new exhaust routed to it neatly. The primaries are 1 1/2 I think with a 2 1/2 collector. I just put on 2 1/2 collectors/reducers to get a feel for how these would fit with pipe on the end. I think they will work. I'd prefer long tube but shorties will work for now...

Nate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts