Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was looking for a 1965-68 Mustang fastback and he did not know which style he liked more. He finally decided to buy this week a 1966 Fastback (Project) that is a factory 6 cyl and he wants to convert to a V-8.
What is your favorite year for the fastback and why?
I will inform my friend of your replies

·
Administrator
13,000 Posts
Have him look at about 500 of each then ask him. LOL Why don't you have him join here too?
Stan

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
67 no question... First year of the big block. More aggressive body contours. The deluxe interior is the best one of all the years. In my humble opinion of course. ;)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If someone offered me a 65 Fastback all painted up like a GT-350 or a 67 Fastback in Dark Green (black, Deluxe interior), and said I could only have one..... There is no way I could choose.....

So, I'd kick his *** and take both. :)

·
Administrator
13,000 Posts
I think I'm going to post a couple of questions like "What's the best color?" or "What's the best '60's song to drive to?" or . . .
Choosing is definitely a personal choice.
Stan

·
Administrator
19,455 Posts
1968, of course. Why? Look at my sig pic. :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
65/66 Cause that is what I have. I have a 68 Torino FB, I think it has the nicest roofline of them all.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I guess our taste sometimes changes over time. I used to like 65/66 but now I have grown to like 67/68s better...............but the best ever is still the 69!!!!
Kinda like when 58 Impalas came out I absolutely hated them for years now I'd love to won one. Same for the 59s.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My one gripe on the 67 is the concave notch below the trunk on the back end. I always felt this messed up the great rump of earlier mustangs. Also was never a fan of the chrome trim that encircled the back end on some 67's.

DK

·
Registered
951 Posts
'67 for me. But I like the '65 convert better and that's what I daily drive. In high school, a buddy bought a new, red '67 FB, raised the rear tastefully and put chromed all around with bigs and littles. Ruined me for life as regards fastbacks...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
65/66 but a close second is 67/68 I agree that the 67/68 look a little more tough than the earlier ones. The 69s are even more tough looking, but not my favorite.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is complicated.

For the factory I like the 65-66. For Shelby I like the 67-68 bodies.

Having had 65-68 cars I have driven everyday I would say the 68 is the most comfortable. Between the shoulder harness and knowing the collapsable steering and thrown in the the in dash A/C the 68 is the best to drive everyday, assuming you add disk brakes.

The 65-66 FB's have their simplicity that makes them attractive. As we get more into the modern cars their gizmos they will be even more appreciated.

In the end, the most important thing is to drive safe and have fun. Any year will give you that :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess our taste sometimes changes over time. I used to like 65/66 but now I have grown to like 67/68s better...............but the best ever is still the 69!!!!
Kinda like when 58 Impalas came out I absolutely hated them for years now I'd love to won one. Same for the 59s.
I agree with this; Taste changes over time. It has happened to me with several things from cars to sports to food.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've owned both. I have come to like the body style of the 65/66 best, but I like the fact that a big block was an option in 67/68.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Like stated above Taste changes over time.
When I bought my 69 in 1979 I thought there was nothing cooler until I got a 70. Over the years had them all but finally settled on a 66.
I believe the 1st generation was classy and truiest to the pony car interpretation.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts