Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to buy a set of new wheels and tires but thinking about size and best appearance for my '70 fastback. I have 225-70-15 now, but am considering 225-60-15, and some folks think 225-60-14 looks better. Might 225-70-14 look to bulky? Also to consider is RWL or redlines with Firestone wide Ovals or Goodyears. I'm wondering about what folks think about the tire size, not the wheel styles, although yes it all goes together to make the right look. A big investment so I have one shot at it since return shipping gets expensive fast!

·
Premium Member
12,026 Posts
I am in agreement that wheels no larger than 15" diameter look best on these cars. Some of the Mustangs (Boss 429, maybe others) came from the factory with an F60-15 tire. That should be about the equivalent of a 225/60-15.
Where are you going to get Firestone Wide Oval or Goodyear Polyglas RWL or the Uniroyal Dual Redline? Does Coker sell them?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just my $.02, but I would recommend raised white letter BFGs or Coopers in 15s. BFGs will give you the look but are only rated 2 out of 5. The Coopers are rated 3. Cooper has been doing a lot of TV ads lately, maybe increased sales will drive more research and better tires for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in agreement that wheels no larger than 15" diameter look best on these cars. Some of the Mustangs (Boss 429, maybe others) came from the factory with an F60-15 tire. That should be about the equivalent of a 225/60-15.
Where are you going to get Firestone Wide Oval or Goodyear Polyglas RWL or the Uniroyal Dual Redline? Does Coker sell them?
Don't know who has dual redlines but Lucas has the Firestone Wide Ovals and also the Goodyear small letter ones. Also JEGS has Firestone Wide Ovals also.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Don't know who has dual redlines but Lucas has the Firestone Wide Ovals and also the Goodyear small letter ones. Also JEGS has Firestone Wide Ovals also.
I don't see any on line reviews, do any of you guys have Coker Firestone wide oval radials?

·
Registered
292 Posts
If the OP is considering larger (non-stock size) tires and wheels look at Happystang's '69 convertible. He is running 17x8 Coy's front and rear with wide tires (at least 245/45x17) and the look is spot on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts