Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 FB with a 3 speed transmission(Sitting on floor) and I want to upgrade to a 5 speed transmission. I am not going to be running alot of HP some where around 300. What is the best year and type of transmission I should be looking for? Also what price range for a rebuilt unit and a non rebuilt unit? My car should be back from getting the rust out soon so I need to find a tranny! TIA

darrel

·
Registered
923 Posts
T-5 z series.

www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml

Do a search, this has been discussed to death.
You can consider a TKO or TKO II but their more money.
You will also have to consider swaping your rear gears. 2.8 just makes 5th unusable unless your above 75-80 MPH.

Get a T-5 bell housing its an easier swap.
then you just use a 1 inch block for the fork.
$100 or so for the bellhousing.
$700-900 for a rebuilt T-5
Or $1100 for a new T-5 Z series.
Dave

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
If you're not going to be power shifting or racing, a T-5 from a 91-93 Mustang will work great.
I had to upgrade to a Tremec after a few hard years of service from my T-5 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Both are great trannys. The Tremec is just stronger and more $$$

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I've been using the Granada 3 spd overdrive for about 12 years. They look like a toploader, shift like one and are a direct bolt-in. The only 2 mods you need to make is use a toploader tailshaft and your 4 spd linkage bolts right up and flip the 3-4 rod as the O/D reverses the 3-4 location. It's a 50-50 of getting it right. If you shift 3-4 and it speeds up the engine, you got it backwards! All Ford did was keep 4th as a 1:1 and change 3 to a .80:1. Using a 3.25, you get a 2.60 final. I have a 2.80 and get a 2.24 final, or [email protected] 90 MPH or 20 MPG w/ a 4V. There is also the exact trans for trucks, but it has a bigger bearing and is a .69 final. You have to have the tailshaft machined to fit the larger bearing. I found a machine shop that did it for $35. These fit behind 390's so they are fairly strong, but for a 289, the Granada one works just as well. You can tell them by the D7XX on the case and it has a spot on the top of the case that has "ORION" stamped on it. Average price is around $250 and the tailshaft runs around $75. You use the stock shifter & rods for any 4 spd toploader and the stock 4 spd handle and, unless they crawl under and see the D7, noone will know it isn't a toploader!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
There are serious tunnel issues with a Tremec in most 65-55 cars.
Get a new T-5Z.

BossBill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts