Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know to first drill holes to get radiused corners but what tools or tricks would you recommend to cut the rest?

Thanks
John

G

·
0 Posts
A reciprocating saw would work best. The blades are short enough so that they "shouldn't" hit the outer door skin, but I would check this before powering up the saw. Another option if you don't have the power tools is to use an open-ended hacksaw blade holder. Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would use an air powered die grinder. The cheap ones sold at swap meets will work fine. Of course you will need an air compressor and goggles. It cuts nice straight lines.

G

·
0 Posts
Air nibbler.

Don't bother with the corner holes. Drill a hole away from the edge so as not to distort the metal at the cut line.

I like the air nibbler since the shoe supports the metal and it doesn't vibrate like a recip. saw.

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
I used a Dremel tool with the cut-off blades. It may not be the most efficient method, but you can get VERY precise cuts. This was my main concern because I wasn't too thrilled with cutting holes in my doors to start with. I got excellent results with it. No drilling necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts