Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No one in their right mind would ever race without an anti submarine belt. A 5, 6 or 7pt harness properly attached is the only way to go if using a roll bar/cage.

Mark
Yeah I have no idea about any of that stuff clearly. Has anyone ever tried to integrate both? So that you could still race the car safely and drive street safely?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Yeah I have no idea about any of that stuff clearly. Has anyone ever tried to integrate both? So that you could still race the car safely and drive street safely?
People do it all the time. Against all advice not too.

Leave out the roll bar/cage and either use lap belts as designed or modify for 3pt belts. If you do want a bar/cage, forget backseat passengers and go with a 5 pt or higher harness. The reasons for this have been stated enough times you should have no problem finding out the details in a search.

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
People do it all the time. Against all advice not too.

Leave out the roll bar/cage and either use lap belts as designed or modify for 3pt belts. If you do want a bar/cage, forget backseat passengers and go with a 5 pt or higher harness. The reasons for this have been stated enough times you should have no problem finding out the details in a search.

Mark
I never intended the thread to be about seatbelts so when it turned into a seatbelt thread I asked a question. Normally I’d search first

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Ive posted in another thread about seat belts. Once you start adding racing style seat belts the seat becomes the issue and finding suitable mounting points etc... for the average street car that might see some autocross or even drag racing, the stock three point belt is sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
8,647 Posts
Since we are in educational mode...rack and pinion is at best a step in the wrong direction. The biggest complaint I have seen reported here at least 100 times is increased turning radius. Not sure why anyone would want that and its certainly not a increase in safety. Also, coil over systems are nice, and some expensive, but I wouldn't consider them any safer than a well tuned and properly maintained stock suspension.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Since we are in educational mode...rack and pinion is at best a step in the wrong direction. The biggest complaint I have seen reported here at least 100 times is increased turning radius. Not sure why anyone would want that and its certainly not a increase in safety. Also, coil over systems are nice, and some expensive, but I wouldn't consider them any safer than a well tuned and properly maintained stock suspension.
And the Unisteer rack and pinion from SoT is the same way? I would have thought differently.

Shouldn’t we always be in educational mode?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I think this thread went to seat belts because your title is Best mod for safety.
You then proceed to limit the options to brakes, steering and suspension. All of the ones you mentioned will do well in stock form provided they are in good working order. With that being said, the best mod for safety is indeed the upgrade of seat belts on the 1st generation Mustang. I think it went further because members are concerned for YOUR safety and want to make sure you realize what can happen with a 4 point belt (submarining).

Yes, we're all still learning...good luck with the car. I'll have to check out your build thread.

Allen

·
Administrator
19,305 Posts
I never intended the thread to be about seatbelts so when it turned into a seatbelt thread.....
Since you're newish, I'll clue you in. We are somewhat infamous for wandering and derailed threads. Best to just roll with it usually. :)

The rear firewall thing has very limited value. It adds maybe a smidge of extra rigidity to the unibody. Maybe. No one's ever proven it. And supposedly some protection from fuel splash in a hard rear end accident. Maybe. No one has shred of proof of that. We do have at least two members whose cars were hit awfully hard in the rear and had no fuel tank issues. So there's at least a little evidence that worries of fuel tank rupture are a bit overblown.

If you are determined to run a rollbar, write off having rear passengers. A roll bar doesn't give but the human skull does. If you equipped the rear seat passengers with helmets at all times and some racing harnesses, that might work. Anything less won't protect them.

If you're still determined to run a roll bar, might as well buy racing harnesses, right? Problem is, they aren't street "legal". So you can't cheap out and pick up some ex-race car stuff. Your only choice is to buy "Schroth" harnesses. They make some that are DOT legal. No one else does that I know of. If you are bold enough to run with some gray area type stuff then the choices are wide open.

As far as brakes and suspension, the stuff is of pretty decent design. But if it's 50-odd years old and needs replacing and freshening up anyway, why the heck not upgrade things a bit? Doesn't really cost much more. No need to throw it ALL out in favor of completely different stuff. There are plenty of ways already mapped out where with some modest improvements you can make your car handle a lot better without going full race car.

Disclosure. I have one of these rear firewall pieces in my '67 coupe. A guy was selling them CHEAP at a swap meet and it seemed a good idea at the time. I have an eight point roll bar setup in the same car. For no good reason at all, except I wanted it. Just scored some Simpson race five point harnesses for next to nothing because they "expire" December 31st. Also, there is no annual safety inspection in my state. I chose to just rebuild my steering and keep it stock. My suspension was six cylinder car light duty and drum brakes. Now "GT" grade at least and sporting later model calipers and various moderate "Opentracker" modifications. None of what I've done is particularly original. Many folks here could point and say "Yeah, I did that too."

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think this thread went to seat belts because your title is Best mod for safety.
You then proceed to limit the options to brakes, steering and suspension. All of the ones you mentioned will do well in stock form provided they are in good working order. With that being said, the best mod for safety is indeed the upgrade of seat belts on the 1st generation Mustang. I think it went further because members are concerned for YOUR safety and want to make sure you realize what can happen with a 4 point belt (submarining).

Yes, we're all still learning...good luck with the car. I'll have to check out your build thread.

Allen
My point stands, it was never meant to be a seatbelt thread.

Yes I asked a very specific question. Which mod of those three would benefit safety. I very well understand that the stock condition of all three will work. However if I were to choose one I wanted to know which would benefit me the most in the area of safety.

My mention of a four point belt was pure ignorance, I have done zero research as far as seatbelts go. I’m glad they brought it up but I simply won’t be shamed for it “not doing a simple search”

I hope you can understand where I’m coming from here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Since you're newish, I'll clue you in. We are somewhat infamous for wandering and derailed threads. Best to just roll with it usually. :)

The rear firewall thing has very limited value. It adds maybe a smidge of extra rigidity to the unibody. Maybe. No one's ever proven it. And supposedly some protection from fuel splash in a hard rear end accident. Maybe. No one has shred of proof of that. We do have at least two members whose cars were hit awfully hard in the rear and had no fuel tank issues. So there's at least a little evidence that worries of fuel tank rupture are a bit overblown.

If you are determined to run a rollbar, write off having rear passengers. A roll bar doesn't give but the human skull does. If you equipped the rear seat passengers with helmets at all times and some racing harnesses, that might work. Anything less won't protect them.

If you're still determined to run a roll bar, might as well buy racing harnesses, right? Problem is, they aren't street "legal". So you can't cheap out and pick up some ex-race car stuff. Your only choice is to buy "Schroth" harnesses. They make some that are DOT legal. No one else does that I know of. If you are bold enough to run with some gray area type stuff then the choices are wide open.

As far as brakes and suspension, the stuff is of pretty decent design. But if it's 50-odd years old and needs replacing and freshening up anyway, why the heck not upgrade things a bit? Doesn't really cost much more. No need to throw it ALL out in favor of completely different stuff. There are plenty of ways already mapped out where with some modest improvements you can make your car handle a lot better without going full race car.

Disclosure. I have one of these rear firewall pieces in my '67 coupe. A guy was selling them CHEAP at a swap meet and it seemed a good idea at the time. I have an eight point roll bar setup in the same car. For no good reason at all, except I wanted it. Just scored some Simpson race five point harnesses for next to nothing because they "expire" December 31st. Also, there is no annual safety inspection in my state. I chose to just rebuild my steering and keep it stock. My suspension was six cylinder car light duty and drum brakes. Now "GT" grade at least and sporting later model calipers and various moderate "Opentracker" modifications. None of what I've done is particularly original. Many folks here could point and say "Yeah, I did that too."
I never meant to come off the way it seems to be taken. I’m very happy to be given information that I did not previously know however when people start acting like I should have known it all already I’m going to stand up for myself. I’m young and I know I don’t know everything.

Thank you very much for the information I thouroughly enjoyed reading through it. I guess I can rule out a roll cage!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
My point stands, it was never meant to be a seatbelt thread.

Yes I asked a very specific question. Which mod of those three would benefit safety. I very well understand that the stock condition of all three will work. However if I were to choose one I wanted to know which would benefit me the most in the area of safety.

My mention of a four point belt was pure ignorance, I have done zero research as far as seatbelts go. I’m glad they brought it up but I simply won’t be shamed for it “not doing a simple search”

I hope you can understand where I’m coming from here.
Sure I can. No one tried to shame you on this thread though. I will answer your question specifically, of the three, although neither would be the answer, I would go with disc brakes.

Lighten up, it's all just conversation and members are truly trying to help you.

Again, good luck with your build.

Allen

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sure I can. No one tried to shame you on this thread though. I will answer your question specifically, of the three, although neither would be the answer, I would go with disc brakes.

Lighten up, it's all just conversation and members are truly trying to help you.

Again, good luck with your build.

Allen
To make myself perfectly clear i expect those who are willing to help to share as much knowledge as they can hence those who said the three mods I mention really aren’t going to benefit safety. I completely expected it. And welcome it, I will always admit when I’m wrong.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts