Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Good gawd, lighten up Francis. We’re trying to learn you some stuff.

Mark
Haha I will but when people start trying to turn this on me I’ll stand my ground. I’d hope you didn’t expect to collapse into a shriveled lump and apologize for not knowing everything.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You haven't been wrong...yet. We'll get you there. Just keep asking questions.
I have made more mistakes on this project than you would probably believe. I really don’t want to list them because it can get depressing. That’s why I’m here though to get help from you guys. And yes I’m new here so I should probably expect to be poked at a bit. Even though you guys really havent:)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
How about telling us what you want out of the car and we’ll help you get it there. Besides, we love watching you spend money...wisely.

Mark
That’s reasonable 😂. Well I’d like it to be safe, handle well, have a rear seat still and not cost me a fortune because I’m already taking it from a rust bucket to something nice and as you all know that can be pricey.

I’ve been looking at fixed racing seats. Do those do well in these 1st gens?

Only one way to learn and that's to dive in.

We've all been in that position...kudos for taking on the challenge.

Have tough skin, you should see how they talk to me...:mad::cry::p

Allen
Thanks, that’s probably the reason I’m on edge sometimes. As a 18 year old college student it’s tough to juggle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
What motor, trans and rear are in the car?

Mark
Well my idea was to have a street car built like a race car. Not sure if it’s a logical thing or even if it works but I’d like to have it be the functionality of a race car and the safety of a street car. Basically I’m not looking for the street car bells and whistles.

I have a 9 inch rear end, no idea the gearing and I have a 1991 5.0 ho low miles. I’d like to get it up around 300 hp. As far as transmission I’d like a manual tko but I have a C4. Will probably switch to manual later on.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Well my idea was to have a street car built like a race car. Not sure if it’s a logical thing or even if it works but I’d like to have it be the functionality of a race car and the safety of a street car. Basically I’m not looking for the street car bells and whistles.

I have a 9 inch rear end, no idea the gearing and I have a 1991 5.0 ho low miles. I’d like to get it up around 300 hp. As far as transmission I’d like a manual tko but I have a C4. Will probably switch to manual later on.
Well, actually a race car is going to have more safety incorporated into it than a street car for obvious reasons, (5 point seat belts for one ;)).

Find out what gearing you have in the 9 inch rear. 300 HP should be easy peasy out of the 5.0. You'll enjoy that manual more when you get the chance to install one.

Allen

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
Not trying to be a smart @$$ or anything but if you're worried about safety maybe you shouldn't be driving a 50 year old car. There has been a vast improvement in safety in those 50 years that cannot be replicated in your Mustang. There is a video on youtube that shows a 60 year old "land yacht" being crashed into a barrier on the left front side. The "scientists" determined that the driver would have been killed. Then they show a modern "roller skate" mini car crashing into the same barrier at the same speed and they determine that the driver would walk away with a couple of bruises and scratches.
How are you going to add "crumple zones" and air bags to your Mustang?
I realize that my '65 Mustang is nowhere near as safe as my '15 Mustang but I don't even think about safety when I get in the '65. I'll die with a grin on my face!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, actually a race car is going to have more safety incorporated into it than a street car for obvious reasons, (5 point seat belts for one ;)).

Find out what gearing you have in the 9 inch rear. 300 HP should be easy peasy out of the 5.0. You'll enjoy that manual more when you get the chance to install one.

Allen
Earlier in the thread someone said 5 point belts weren’t safe for street driving. Now I’m confused. To be specific someone said they restricted your movement so you couldn’t see your blind spots.

Ok will do. And yes a manual seems like it would be a blast.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not trying to be a smart @$$ or anything but if you're worried about safety maybe you shouldn't be driving a 50 year old car. There has been a vast improvement in safety in those 50 years that cannot be replicated in your Mustang. There is a video on youtube that shows a 60 year old "land yacht" being crashed into a barrier on the left front side. The "scientists" determined that the driver would have been killed. Then they show a modern "roller skate" mini car crashing into the same barrier at the same speed and they determine that the driver would walk away with a couple of bruises and scratches.
How are you going to add "crumple zones" and air bags to your Mustang?
I realize that my '65 Mustang is nowhere near as safe as my '15 Mustang but I don't even think about safety when I get in the '65. I'll die with a grin on my face!
Is there something wrong with trying to make it as safe as possible?Obviously it won’t be like 2020 cars but that’s not why I bought it.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Earlier in the thread someone said 5 point belts weren’t safe for street driving. Now I’m confused. To be specific someone said they restricted your movement so you couldn’t see your blind spots.
Good point, but...ask yourself if you were in a wreck, would you want an OEM seat belt, a 3 point seat belt or a 5 point seat belt. Which is safer in THIS scenario? The answer is 5 point. Now ask yourself, are you going to be strictly street driving, then the 3 point is probably your BEST option although maybe not the safest yet still safer than the OEM. Mark asked earlier about your intentions, you can see why. How you use the car will determine how you build it.

Race cars have roll cages that street cars don't, so that's a safety feature as well. My main point in that response is that race cars are built to be safer (protect you in a high speed wreck) than a street car, normally.

Allen

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good point, but...ask yourself if you were in a wreck, would you want an OEM seat belt, a 3 point seat belt or a 5 point seat belt. Which is safer in THIS scenario? The answer is 5 point. Now ask yourself, are you going to be strictly street driving, then the 3 point is probably your BEST option although maybe not the safest yet still safer than the OEM. Mark asked earlier about your intentions, you can see why. How you use the car will determine how you build it.

Race cars have roll cages that street cars don't, so that's a safety feature as well. My main point in that response is that race cars are built to be safer (protect you in a high speed wreck) than a street car, normally.

Allen
Ok I understand thank you. As it seems here I cannot use 5 point belts because I want to keep the rear seat. Is it true that you can’t have a roll cage if you want a rear seat?

Keep in mind I will be custom building the cage so I could theoretically make it safe eg keep it away from heads so in the event of an accident someone doesn’t get slammed into it

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Keep in mind I will be custom building the cage so I could theoretically make it safe eg keep it away from heads so in the event of an accident someone doesn’t get slammed into it
I don't think you could make a roll bar that someone wouldn't hit. In the event of even a minor accident you could cause extreme injury to someone and/or yourself without a helmet on and hitting a roll bar. I think most would advise against that move.

Also, it's almost impossible for people to ride in the back seat of these cars anyway, with a roll bar it's even harder...

Allen

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I don't think you could make a roll bar that someone wouldn't hit. In the event of even a minor accident you could cause extreme injury to someone and/or yourself without a helmet on and hitting a roll bar. I think most would advise against that move.

Also, it's almost impossible for people to ride in the back seat of these cars anyway, with a roll bar it's even harder...

Allen
Excuse my ignorance. I actually haven’t ever ridden in one nor been in a completed interior. I bought mine a wreck.

As far as roll cage goes I think your right, I have to decide on the rear seat. I’d hate to give it up but if regular sized people can barely fit in it why have it?

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Excuse my ignorance. I actually haven’t ever ridden in one nor been in a completed interior. I bought mine a wreck.

As far as roll cage goes I think your right, I have to decide on the rear seat. I’d hate to give it up but if regular sized people can barely fit in it why have it?
Where are you located? You need to find a member and go visit them and check their car out. Not trying to "shame" you in anyway. I just think it will help you better understand your vehicle. You'll get to see at that point.

Very small/confined back seats...

Allen

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Where are you located? You need to find a member and go visit them and check their car out. Not trying to "shame" you in anyway. I just think it will help you better understand your vehicle. You'll get to see at that point.

Very small/confined back seats...

Allen
I’m in central Florida. The ocala area or Orlando area haha really in between.

Yeah it would be a good idea I think. I love the car to much at this point for anything to really upset me. But I still would like to know what it’s like so I can plan properly.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts