Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
To elaborate a little more...

In a car with lap or 3 pt belts without a bar/cage, if it goes turtle, those belts will let your head and torso bend forward as the roof crushes down.
If you had shoulder harnesses, your upper body stays straight and your head gets pushed into your shoulder cavity.

With a bar/cage, you need belts that don’t let your body slam into the bars or slide around. 5pt and more do that. 4pt belts are missing the anti submarine belt that stops you from sliding out of the belts. Driving a car with bars without a helmet has its risks.

They make some cool bucket race seats like the R Models used.

Stock type upper and lower A arms and very capable. Good shocks are a must. A little bigger front stabilizer bar and adjustable strut rods are great. If you go with 16”-17” wheels give you better options for sticky tires. Decent front springs that lower the front. The Arning drop is free and helps the suspension work better. Roller perches let the suspension work better too.

A panhard bar is a cheap way to keep the rear located. Mid eye and reverse eye rear springs will get the car lower. 4-4 1/2 leafs tops.

Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
To elaborate a little more...

In a car with lap or 3 pt belts without a bar/cage, if it goes turtle, those belts will let your head and torso bend forward as the roof crushes down.
If you had shoulder harnesses, your upper body stays straight and your head gets pushed into your shoulder cavity.

With a bar/cage, you need belts that don’t let your body slam into the bars or slide around. 5pt and more do that. 4pt belts are missing the anti submarine belt that stops you from sliding out of the belts. Driving a car with bars without a helmet has its risks.

They make some cool bucket race seats like the R Models used.

Stock type upper and lower A arms and very capable. Good shocks are a must. A little bigger front stabilizer bar and adjustable strut rods are great. If you go with 16”-17” wheels give you better options for sticky tires. Decent front springs that lower the front. The Arning drop is free and helps the suspension work better. Roller perches let the suspension work better too.

A panhard bar is a cheap way to keep the rear located. Mid eye and reverse eye rear springs will get the car lower. 4-4 1/2 leafs tops.

Mark
Ok that’s interesting. So there isn’t any need for me to drop lots of cash on suspension and steering when I could simply rebuild the old stuff.

As far as seat belts go it seems I should modify for a 3pt belt or use a 5 point with a good roll cage and throw out the rear seat.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I’m in central Florida. The ocala area or Orlando area haha really in between.

Yeah it would be a good idea I think. I love the car to much at this point for anything to really upset me. But I still would like to know what it’s like so I can plan properly.
Well, that easy enough. Go to NPD (National Parts Depot) and see if @69bossnine or one of his employees will give you a tour so you can see their cars.

Be forewarned, you will be hooked at that point. But you will be able to purchase anything you need for your Mustang as well.

Great points by Mark...(he likes to help you spend your money but it's all for good improvements).

Allen

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well, that easy enough. Go to NPD (National Parts Depot) and see if @69bossnine or one of his employees will give you a tour so you can see their cars.

Be forewarned, you will be hooked at that point.

Great points by Mark...(he likes to help you spend your money but it's all for good improvements).

Allen
I actually am planning on getting my glass from them. They sell really nice car lite stuff. I just called there today.
I’ll see if I can work something like that out.

He can try his hardest but if you ain’t got money to spend you can’t spend it😂

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
You need to go to the Ocala NPD and tour Rick’s museum. He has a couple of cars in there to give you ideas.
He should drive up to Barber and see in person how awesome a stockish old car can handle when pushed hard!

Better yet, go to the Classic 24 and Historics at Daytona next week and get your old car rush on!!

Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Plan to spend the afternoon.
My grandfathers brother built mustangs. He is very old and in bad health so I haven’t been able to talk to him much (he isn’t very tech savvy) but apparently he built a boss 429 and sold it for 6 figures. That was a long time ago. He was the one that was going to introduce me into the hobby. I hope it still happens but it’s looking like it’s not.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Sorry if it’s obvious but are they stock classics or modded? It looks like a blast either way
Some are like mine, some are (and have been) full on race cars. Most have real period race history and some are cars that have been more recently built to race.

The cars and drivers are very approachable.

Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Some are like mine, some are (and have been) full on race cars. Most have real period race history and some are cars that have been more recently built to race.

The cars and drivers are very approachable.

Mark
That’s important. It’s kinda a buzz kill when owners have sticks of there butts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Sorry if it’s obvious but are they stock classics or modded? It looks like a blast either way
Let me show you what I posted after to going to the races with Mark and Patrick at Hallett Motor Racing circuit in Oklahoma this summer. Mark hooked me up with one of the vintage racing guys and here is my write up:

"So made the trip to Hallet. @patrickstapler and @silverblueBP are here as well. A special thanks to Mark for setting up a ride with Dan and his vintage racer. We did about 15 minutes on the track and I cannot describe the exhilaration that I felt. These guys are nothing short of incredible. Dan is one helluva driver and he has one helluva car.

When you can drive a car, wound out, pushing who knows how many rpms and how fast we're going, straight at a corner, with a car in front of you, and down shift at the last second all in unison with absolutely standing on the brake only to get within 6" of the car in front of you, all the while having the mindset to know that you have to make this hard left/right and then slam the throttle to pull side by side with the guy that was in front of you, either passing him or getting beat by a fender into the next corner and doing it all again for a solid 15 minutes without as much as even scaring your passenger (me) after the first lap because you made him (me) feel so comfortable in the car that I truly, knew I was in good hands, you sir, are, in a word, incredible. Dan told me he could listen to my accent all day, well I could ride with him in his race car all day. IMPRESSED!!

If that's a run on sentence, or you can't make heads or tails of it, I don't give a damn. If you had been in my shoes today, you would know just how incredible a ride that was.

Thank you Dan, I'm indebted. I'm also indebted to Mark and Patrick who have turned me on to this. If I never ride again, let it be known that I had the ride of my life today.

Allen"

Be careful what you wish for, I won't tell you what I have in the engine I'm building for my car...:oops:

It's fun just being there!

Allen

61 - 80 of 119 Posts