Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Let me show you what I posted after to going to the races with Mark and Patrick at Hallett Motor Racing circuit in Oklahoma this summer. Mark hooked me up with one of the vintage racing guys and here is my write up:

"So made the trip to Hallet. @patrickstapler and @silverblueBP are here as well. A special thanks to Mark for setting up a ride with Dan and his vintage racer. We did about 15 minutes on the track and I cannot describe the exhilaration that I felt. These guys are nothing short of incredible. Dan is one helluva driver and he has one helluva car.

When you can drive a car, wound out, pushing who knows how many rpms and how fast we're going, straight at a corner, with a car in front of you, and down shift at the last second all in unison with absolutely standing on the brake only to get within 6" of the car in front of you, all the while having the mindset to know that you have to make this hard left/right and then slam the throttle to pull side by side with the guy that was in front of you, either passing him or getting beat by a fender into the next corner and doing it all again for a solid 15 minutes without as much as even scaring your passenger (me) after the first lap because you made him (me) feel so comfortable in the car that I truly, knew I was in good hands, you sir, are, in a word, incredible. Dan told me he could listen to my accent all day, well I could ride with him in his race car all day. IMPRESSED!!

If that's a run on sentence, or you can't make heads or tails of it, I don't give a damn. If you had been in my shoes today, you would know just how incredible a ride that was.

Thank you Dan, I'm indebted. I'm also indebted to Mark and Patrick who have turned me on to this. If I never ride again, let it be known that I had the ride of my life today.

Allen"

Be careful what you wish for, I won't tell you what I have in the engine I'm building for my car...:oops:

It's fun just being there!

Allen
Your making me jealous now. That sounds like a once in a lifetime experience.

It’s ok you can have some secrets. I personally find it more fun the other way around but that’s just because I like to run my mouth

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Your making me jealous now. That sounds like a once in a lifetime experience.

It’s ok you can have some secrets. I personally find it more fun the other way around but that’s just because I like to run my mouth
You just got invited to Birmingham and Daytona...:);)

Keep the fire, I'll be watching your build thread and hopefully lend a bit of advice if possible.

Allen

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
You just got invited to Birmingham and Daytona...:);)

Keep the fire, I'll be watching your build thread and hopefully lend a bit of advice if possible.

Allen
This is what this place is for right? Bringing people together. I’d like to complain but hey it works.

I’ll update the build soon! All advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I didn't see one of the most important safety items mentioned- Tires ! Quality performance tires, properly suited to the conditions ( dry,wet,ice/snow ) are essential for stopping and evasive maneuvers. In the same vein, a performance or defensive driving course. With no ABS, learning to threshold brake is an important skill.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I didn't see one of the most important safety items mentioned- Tires ! Quality performance tires, properly suited to the conditions ( dry,wet,ice/snow ) are essential for stopping and evasive maneuvers. In the same vein, a performance or defensive driving course. With no ABS, learning to threshold brake is an important skill.
You make a fantastic point. I will definitely do my research on tires!

I love your idea on doing a course. Do they have courses specific to cars without ABS? I’m going to look that up as well.

Great ideas!

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I'm not sure about courses other than defensive driving and the racing schools, which are great, but quite expensive. Braking technique can be practiced on your own, IF you can find a safe "out of the way" road with no traffic, and keeping the speeds moderate. Best braking performance is just prior to lockup, if it does lock, you want to quickly reduce pedal pressure just enough to get the tires rolling again, then re-apply pressure.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The most important part of the car is the driver's skill! A novice with the "best" car in the world will not be able to avoid collisions like, or hang with an experienced driver even in an antiquated ride. Not to hijack the thread, and feel free to skip, but...Wanna have some fun? Pull the fuse or relay for the ABS in modern cars and learn /teach Threshold Braking without it. I have done that with police vehicles, then reinstalled it so students can really see the difference. We also have annual access to a COOL Skid Car that has a car sitting on 4 adjustable hydraulic outriggers with caster wheels so a front passenger/ instructor can remove one, two, three or even all four of the car's tires from the pavement in varying degrees, causing the driver to gradually learn how to deal with losing control and how to manage a skid with very little braking. That and the obstacle courses are about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on !

After reading all the other posts, yep, front disc brakes, good suspensions and steering components (with poly bushings), 3 point belts (for a street car) and better lighting to see and be seen still top the list for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I completely agree! I’ve already been in two situations where I could really tell the ABS saved me from a crash. I’m afraid when I move to the old system I might not have been ok in those instances. But it’s good to know you still can be somewhat safe without them. As long as you know what your doing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
1) Good Tires - Suspension and Brakes can't do their thing without grip on the road.
2) Brake Lights - Upgrade to LED and possibly even add a Third Brake light. You have control over your own driving, but the most likely accident is getting rear ended. Do what you can to avoid this.
3) Headrests - Again, rearenders are common and they're difficult to avoid.
4) Seatbelts - I think there's been enough discussion on them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
1) Good Tires - Suspension and Brakes can't their thing without grip on the road.
2) Brake Lights - Upgrade to LED and possibly even add a Third Brake light. You have control over your own driving, but the most likely accident is getting rear ended. Do what you can to avoid this.
3) Headrests - Again, rearenders are common and they're difficult to avoid.
4) Seatbelts - I think there's been discussion on them.
Ok when people say good tires is there a specific brand or just the “proper” tires for your environment. Which for me in FL is just summer tires with street tread.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Got it, thanks
And they wear a LOT faster, too. Finding a balance in Treadwear, Temperature and Traction ratings that fit your budget without compromising safety and quality is the key.
Softer tread equals more grip. I enjoy good handling, can't buy tires every year, and don't have confidence in tire brands I never heard of, so I spend enough that I don't hafta do it again anytime soon. I really don't drive in the rain but once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
My take on "good tires" : If you're not driving in winter cold/ice/snow, forget about "all-weather" tires. Going by The Tire Rack rating system, I would focus on a wet and dry performance tire = "Max Performance Summer" or "Ultra High Performance Summer" . I have been a fan of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, now Pilot Sport 4S .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok when people say good tires is there a specific brand or just the “proper” tires for your environment. Which for me in FL is just summer tires with street tread.
What is "good" really depends on individual use and preference. In the context of safety, I think we need to consider stopping distance and latteral grip for evasive maneuvers. Again, you can drive very safely but have no control over others on the road.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Chiming in, has anyone suggested a fuel cell? Could be handy in a rear end-er. Sorry about bringing up seat belts again. I have 50 year old OEM seat belts. Does the webbing deteriorate enough over this amount of time to seriously degrade the strength? I was always wondering this. If I had a tensile tester I would love to do a few runs with old vs new.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Chiming in, has anyone suggested a fuel cell? Could be handy in a rear end-er. Sorry about bringing up seat belts again. I have 50 year old OEM seat belts. Does the webbing deteriorate enough over this amount of time to seriously degrade the strength? I was always wondering this. If I had a tensile tester I would love to do a few runs with old vs new.
It may not be the webbing that goes bad, but the stitching. Certified racing seat belts have an expiration date.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts