Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really been thinking about adding high backed bucket seats to my '66 coupe. I went junkyarding and I didn't really see anything that I thought would fit. I did find some nice prelude seats but I wasn't sure if they would fit because the seat tracks are on the side of the seat. I am looking for suggestions on what seats look/fit/and cost the best. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put '97 GT leather seats in my '72 vert using the original '72 seat tracks. It was easy to do. Came back later and replaced the manual seat tracks with the original power 4-way track under the driver seat. It took some modification to the seat track in order to bolt it to the floor. I picked up another power seat track and switch for the passenger seat. Ended up with dual front power seats with a driver's side power lumbar. Also, both seats recline. I think it's a neat resto-mod using late model Mustang parts.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I used 88 t-bird ones, but like copester said, you just use your old seat tracks and drill 1 hole and everything bolts in. The new ones recline and mine even had the inflatable lumbar!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have Honda Prelude seats in my 65 convert and all I had to do to mount them was elongate one hole in each track and straighter out the adjustment lever, using the stock tracks from the Mustang. My mounting was on the botttom of the seat though. I think it was an early 80's Prelude. My only problem is that the seats do not go far enough back. I use them all the way back and I am only five foot eight.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Import seats in my Ford...not likely.
I have a set of over the counter Ford Motorsports seats in mine. These are also known as SVO seats, but have the halo head rest.
Original tracks bolt right on, so they bolt right in.

Be aware that puting any modern seat in a Mustnag will most raise you up and force you forward. Why?
The foam is so much stiffer that you don't sink in like in the old seats. I lost over 1.5 inches due to stiff foam and springs.
I'm tall (6'5") so I did the seat platform lower.

Pics at http://homepage.mac.com/bossbill
(Click on Seat Lowering setion)

BossBill

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Import seats in my Ford...not likely.
I have a set of over the counter Ford Motorsports seats in mine. These are also known as SVO seats, but have a halo head rest.
Original tracks bolt right on, so they bolt right in.

Be aware that putting any modern seat in a Mustang will most likely raise you up and force you forward. Why?
The foam is so much stiffer that you don't sink in like in the old seats. I lost over 1.5 inches due to stiff foam and springs.
I'm tall (6'5") so I did the seat platform lower, too

Pics at http://homepage.mac.com/bossbill
(Click on Seat Lowering section)

BossBill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts