Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

am looking for the best option for noise and heat insulation, I have seen different types in the market I have bought a quit ride solution full kit and was wandering is the lizard skin any good or can I apply the lizard skin first then the quit ride on top of it ?

thanks for the info

·
Registered
285 Posts
My car is not on the road yet, so I can't give any advice on how effective my build was. Having a convertible with a 408 in it (using 3 chambered mufflers) and living in AZ makes for some heat and noise.
I did Raptor liner throughout the interior and laid a dynamat type product on top.
I also coated the entire trunk and undercarriage with Raptor liner.
Purchased ACC carpet with the mass backing.
Keeping my fingers crossed it helps.
015.JPG 62.jpg 65.jpg 66.jpg 71.jpg 70.jpg

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
When I had my '65 was gutted, I put in new factory underlayment and added Reflectix bubble foil insulation. It is a lot cheaper than Dynomat or some of the sound deadening products. I added a layer in the headliner to block heat. Now I fell no heat from the transmission area and road noise dropped off a lot.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Although not 100% applicable, when I insulated my Factory Five Cobra, I used Fat Mat Extreme on the inside of the car in the interior, firewall, and trunk area. No rattles or road noise I could hear and, for a Cobra, mine was on the quieter side.
For my Mustang, I really appreciated that my car was a CA vehicle with no undercoating on it. This made cleaning up the underside of the car much easier. That said, I am going to go with a chassis black under the car for stock appearance and protection. Inside, I have debated applying Lizard Skin products. To get the same protection that the Fat Mat Extreme provided, I think you would need both the thermal and sound deadening products plus buy the gun to apply. I can't wrap my head around how the lizard skin could possibly dampen out noise and vibration better than the Fat Mat. With that said, I think this discussion made up my mind and I will go with the Fat Mat Extreme again. The FME is about 1/2 the cost of Dynomat and easy to work with. Not mess and, I think I was lucky, no cuts when I applied it. I guess that guarantees I will come away bleeding when I do my Mustang.

·
Dimples
4,658 Posts
Every greybeard hot rodder I trust says that LizardSkin is the gold standard. So much so some say that if you use the separate sound control component that can go under the regular ceramic insulation, there’s no need for a dynamat type of insulation.

Only problem is, it’s pretty pricey. I’m still on the fence on spraying it on my daughter’s car.

I have some experience with Raptor liner on other projects. I can’t speak to it’s noise or heat abatement properties, but it’s certainly tough and relatively easy to apply.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Dynamat on full floor and Reflectix double bubble Mylar thermal insulation from Home Depot from firewall to back of front seats, then padding and carpet. Excellent heat rejection excellent price. Works well in Florida heat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so guys, is the lizard skin as good as dynamat or better and can you use them together

·
Registered
922 Posts
My interior is currently out for re-wiring, and the PO had used some type of Home Depot type insulation that did not stick well to the many curves and was falling down. I don't recommend it. While still being re-assembled, I did one coat each of Lizard Skin sound and thermal, then ACC's EVA sound deadener, then standard juke and then standard carpet along with a new firewall from NPD.
I got a gallon each of the LS on sale from Summit, plus their spray kit (also on sale). Interestingly, the LS thermal was about half the weight of the sound deadening. My mechanic said he loved the LS and it was really easy. I recommend being very careful with covering ALL parts of the interior that you don't want the LS on, especially wiring ground spots.
Just my build, the opinions of the others are just as valid. Have fun.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe
114 Posts
We used Lizard Skin sound and heat on my 67 coupe. Sprayed the complete interior including the roof, inside of doors and trunk.
Car has a 460 SBF and noise and heat are minimal. Very happy with the finished product.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Personally, I don't mind the extra noise on vintage cars...just part of the car really. My experiences with sound deadening mats in other cars though will ensure I never again use them in any car...nor will I ever buy a car that has it installed....its way too easy to hide rust with the stuff....and if you do happen to spill water inside your car(leaking cowl, leaking heater cores, spilled soft drinks, coffee etc) sound deadening mats are a petri dish for rust....they will hold moisture very well. That being said, if I was forced to use a product, it would be lizard skin, it is far less likely liquids will get underneath lizard skin than a mat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts