Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Breaks my heart but my '68 coupe has to spend the winter outdoors, in CA it's not that bad, however I want to protect it from RAIN, sun, etc. Did some searching here and the posts were very old or from the manufacturers - would love to hear all your fave brands, good/bad experiences and also the SIZE cover you used, how much you paid for it and which car you have?

I'm not looking for the most expensive, just a fair value but effective protection? Was hoping for around two or three Benjamins? Less would be better. Can a cover at that level really keep out all the moisture and breathe? Are they safe on your paint? If you can vouch for an expensive one that works really great, go ahead and share too, because others may have a bigger budget than I do.

Please don't say a plastic tarp ;) . Don't mind hearing about fair value flexible canopy covers if you have good details, but if I go that way I'd probably go metal poles, metal roof so it'd last longer. Where my baby is at for the next few months a cover is my only option.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have my '66 Mustang in a 10'x20' portable "garage". It has a metal frame with a zip open end. The cover wraps from right bottom, over the top, to left bottom. I live in Seattle and the cover has been in use for 4 years and still in good shape. Not a bad deal for under $200 (which might be a little high for your budget). Also, it can be taken apart and stored if you don't need it all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have used covers made from Noah fabric on a few different cars over the years including a black 73 911 in the wind and rain with no issues. Biggest drawback with that fabric is eventually rain can wick through a little but it breathes and will dry back out. Durable and not too pricey.
Covercraft is usually my brand choice and I have had excellent experience with buying from autoanything.com. I always ask if they have any promo or sale and they usually do.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have used covers made from Noah fabric on a few different cars over the years including a black 73 911 in the wind and rain with no issues. Biggest drawback with that fabric is eventually rain can wick through a little but it breathes and will dry back out. Durable and not too pricey.
Covercraft is usually my brand choice and I have had excellent experience with buying from autoanything.com. I always ask if they have any promo or sale and they usually do.
Thanks Matter, waterproof breathable is my #1 criteria. How long did it take for rain to wick through? Covercraft also makes a cover called 'weathershield HP' that's supposed to be their 'best' for outdoor rain, and snow. It looks very thin and light, not multi-layer, just super water repellant. Anyone tried that version? Unfortunately, it's a LOT more money, $564 for my 'base' car, not sure if they mean 'coupe', they do have several fastback specific covers. Would really like to spend like half that!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have my '66 Mustang in a 10'x20' portable "garage". It has a metal frame with a zip open end. The cover wraps from right bottom, over the top, to left bottom. I live in Seattle and the cover has been in use for 4 years and still in good shape. Not a bad deal for under $200 (which might be a little high for your budget). Also, it can be taken apart and stored if you don't need it all the time.
Where'd you get that portable garage Travis? Rains a lot in Seattle right, so that's a good test right? I wish I could get one of those but the place I'm renting doesn't allow for a structure like that. My plan is to move asap to a house with a garage and/or rv access where I could have a raised cover in a few months, but you know how that goes, months turn into years...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to find a $200 'waterproof' cover like this one on Autoanything, however, they say they don't make one to fit my coupe. So if any of you have found a cover for a different car that fits our vm's 'well enough', please specify.

Btw, reviewers said it is NOT actually waterproof. Bummer...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Found one cover for a vm coupe with a 'lifetime warranty', includes all sorts of extras like 18 microfiber towels, a lock and cable, a storage bag, antennae patch kit all for only $194.95, and all sorts of special offers and marketing flash, discount codes, positive reviews, but a major detail; the cover looks like crap, thin, super wrinkled, fit crummy, even in their demos. I don't know how this cover could last 1 year much less a lifetime? Carcovers.com. The reviews, they look totally fake, too. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it just might be a duck. Anyone vouch for this?

OMG, then I find another site, carautocovers.com, that looks totally different, YET the products and deals look identical! Then another, empire covers, then another, even lower prices though, it's really quackin' now! Holy carp it's a jungle out there on the interweb! That's why I'm asking for help from you guys...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ive tried multiple brands of outdoor car covers and the texas sun destroys them all in about a year. Ive spent between $50-200.00 on them. I keep one car covered outside and I just buy one of the $50.00 Ebay 5 layer specials now and replace it every year.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Found one cover for a vm coupe with a 'lifetime warranty', includes all sorts of extras like 18 microfiber towels, a lock and cable, a storage bag, antennae patch kit all for only $194.95, and all sorts of special offers and marketing flash, discount codes, positive reviews, but a major detail; the cover looks like crap, thin, super wrinkled, fit crummy, even in their demos. I don't know how this cover could last 1 year much less a lifetime? Carcovers.com. The reviews, they look totally fake, too. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it just might be a duck. Anyone vouch for this?

OMG, then I find another site, carautocovers.com, that looks totally different, YET the products and deals look identical! Then another, empire covers, then another, even lower prices though, it's really quackin' now! Holy carp it's a jungle out there on the interweb! That's why I'm asking for help from you guys...
I've had a cover for Diane from Carcovers. com for 2 years and it's been perfect! She sits outside from April to November, in the rain and hot sun unless I'm working on her in my crappy no door shelter. The cover is absolutely water resistant and hasn't torn one iota unlike the super expensive Noah that lasted less than a year. I did install a metal grommet in the antenna hole because I'm paranoid. As I said, over 2 years and no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Breaks my heart but my '68 coupe has to spend the winter outdoors, in CA it's not that bad, however I want to protect it from RAIN, sun, etc. Did some searching here and the posts were very old or from the manufacturers - would love to hear all your fave brands, good/bad experiences and also the SIZE cover you used, how much you paid for it and which car you have?

I'm not looking for the most expensive, just a fair value but effective protection? Was hoping for around two or three Benjamins? Less would be better. Can a cover at that level really keep out all the moisture and breathe? Are they safe on your paint? If you can vouch for an expensive one that works really great, go ahead and share too, because others may have a bigger budget than I do.

Please don't say a plastic tarp ;) . Don't mind hearing about fair value flexible canopy covers if you have good details, but if I go that way I'd probably go metal poles, metal roof so it'd last longer. Where my baby is at for the next few months a cover is my only option.
Last December I took the motor out of my 66', I knew I would be storing it outside for most of the winter and spring until the motor was done and I had time to install. I purchased an outdoor car cover from this place

Where I live in Northern California we had a abnormal amount of rain last spring. When I took the cover off the car it looked as though if I just washed it and there were no signs that it got wet under neath.

Two weeks ago I was at Hard Rock in Lake Tahoe. I took my Z06 and parked on the 2nd level past valet. I put my car cover on ($400) cover and somebody stole it, it was a fancy two tone red and black nylon looking all weather cover. Apparently there are no cameras as security either was in on it or is just too lazy to roll back the video over 12 hours and check for me. Anyway rather than pay another $400 for a custom car cover, and I had such good results with the cover from carcover.com, I purchased another one to replace my stolen one on my Vette. The carcover.com cover 5L it is light blue/gray, breathable, fleece lined, and comes with a lock too. The covers are also custom fit to the year make and model, and the Mustang cover came with a patch with a hole in it in case you want to cut the cover for the antenna to stick through. Shouldn't stand out too much to make somebody want to steal it either.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Vendor
3,551 Posts

First off, my lifelong observations is that seeking both "waterproof" and "breathable" in the same cover is chasing a unicorn. Most of the good/breathable covers eventually relent to a bit of water intrusion, both through the seams (there's no getting around the fact that covers are sewn together, and stitches leak), and when "super-saturated" by a heavy downpour...

What you need to accept is the "breathable" part is EXPONENTIALLY MORE IMPORTANT than the "waterproof" part. If your car gets a little damp, that's no big deal at all.. Cars don't shrink or melt in the rain LOL.. But if that dampness is trapped under there, and then the sun comes out and turns your covered car into a greenhouse/steamer type of environment, all sorts of holy-hell can happen to your paint, from permanent staining to blistering to crazing, etc... Depends upon the type of paint, etc.. Not to mention all of your fasteners and bare-metal un-finished components going to pot, etc.etc...

What little water does get through, you want a cover that dries-out quickly when the rainy weather ends, and that breathes extremely well. Don't worry about the car getting wet. That's not the issue. Worry more about it getting dry again, quickly, without water being trapped between the cover and paint, cooking.

Bottom-line, you can't just "cover it and forget it" with outside storage. You have to do a bit of work. If you do get a heavy rain, or days of rain, the moment it stops raining, un-cover the car.. Drape your cover over some chairs or whatnot so it dries out in the breeze, and likewise, let your car dry-out completely with the cover off of it. Then replace the cover onto the dry car.

But you're not going to find a cover that breathes really well, dries out quickly, and is also "waterproof". I've never once seen a cover or material that can live up to all those standards.

Noah or Evolution-4.. Either of those materials should service you well.. And yes, plenty of dust and debris will blow-under and up-into the cover as it's out there in the breeze. Remove frequently, shake out the cover, dust off the car, and re-cover. Any scratching you'll get is so superficial, it's not worth fussing over, just give the car a good buff-out after it's done sitting outside, and all that scratching will disappear and be gone.

Rick
NPD

·
Vendor
3,551 Posts
Not if you buy a fleece lined one. Good car covers don't scratch cars.
Never, ever, put a fleece or flannel lined cover outdoors. Never.. It would be catastrophic to the car. Those types of covers are indoor-only, and only if environment is kept dry/circulated.

Besides, the whole covers-scratch-cars debate, I find to be unnecessary. The scratches that are involved are so minor, so superficial, that a quick pass with a good orbital/polish or hand/polish is all it takes to put you back into show-shape. Scratches that are not put onto the paint forcefully are so shallow, that they often do not even exceed the depth of the wax.

Where wind and a cover can really ruin a paint job, is when you see people who (foolishly) trailer their car down the road with a cover on it, whipping in the wind and generating force. That... is paint homicide.... ;)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I've always used car covers from Calcarcover.com, usually their Noah fabric. I worked in Fontana, Ca next to the old steel mill, and the air was full of garbage that could ruin a paint job in a year if left uncovered. The car covers would last about 3 years before the acidic conditions would start to dissolve them. I look at car covers as sacrificial, better the car cover than the paint be ruined.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Never, ever, put a fleece or flannel lined cover outdoors. Never.. It would be catastrophic to the car. Those types of covers are indoor-only, and only if environment is kept dry/circulated

Where wind and a cover can really ruin a paint job, is when you see people who (foolishly) trailer their car down the road with a cover on it, whipping in the wind and generating force. That... is paint homicide.... ;)
You are 100% correct about the flannel lined covers! When a wind kicks up, it brings dirt with it that finds its way under the cover and stuck to the flannel. Now, you have a 1500 grit sandpaper car cover doing havoc to your paint.
Even the best car covers made, when pressed about their warranty, will admit that they are not designed for 24/7/365 outdoor use.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The other thing to consider is if the car is going to be driven, it should be washed before the cover goes back on otherwise the sandpaper effect will ensue if there is dust on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts