Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
You guys all brought up good points, and I'll look over those sites here shortly. Good advice is not getting a conspicuous cover that draws thieve's attention.

....Noah or Evolution-4.. Either of those materials should service you well.. And yes, plenty of dust and debris will blow-under and up-into the cover as it's out there in the breeze. Remove frequently, shake out the cover, dust off the car, and re-cover. Any scratching you'll get is so superficial, it's not worth fussing over, just give the car a good buff-out after it's done sitting outside, and all that scratching will disappear and be gone.
Rick
NPD
I get it that a cover is sacrificial and will only last based on it's environment. I see breathe-ability is clearly the most important; I've got a boat that's under a specially fitted cover outside year round and the cover only appears to be a water deflector, it's super breathe-able. It's treated heavy canvas, treated so that it beads water like a duck. It's taught on the boat's high points like a tent, because it's made by the boat mfgr, but all it really does is direct the water off the sides. If there was a pooling area I'm sure water would go through it. Can't really put a tight cover over our cars like that, it seems.

Rick, as a car specialty retailer you've got a LOT of experience with covers. Are there any in particular, that you sell or someone else sells, you would recommend? Do you expect any black Friday specials on these?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've always used car covers from Calcarcover.com, usually their Noah fabric. I worked in Fontana, Ca next to the old steel mill, and the air was full of garbage that could ruin a paint job in a year if left uncovered. The car covers would last about 3 years before the acidic conditions would start to dissolve them. I look at car covers as sacrificial, better the car cover than the paint be ruined.
I'm guessing the cover you're referring to is the $265 all-weather noah? I like that site the way they have a scale by each cover listing indicating it's 'all weather' and 'outdoor' capabilities. Noah did not have the highest in the 'all weather' category but it was nonetheless, highest in 'outdoor'. Wish I could stomach buying the highest rated cover in that regard... There's got to be one out there with a highest outdoor rating that doesn't break the bank, right?

Or better yet, if any of you see someplace that has a good 'black friday' special for next week, I'm all over it!!

·
Vendor
3,548 Posts
I'm guessing the cover you're referring to is the $265 all-weather noah? I like that site the way they have a scale by each cover listing indicating it's 'all weather' and 'outdoor' capabilities. Noah did not have the highest in the 'all weather' category but it was nonetheless, highest in 'outdoor'. Wish I could stomach buying the highest rated cover in that regard... There's got to be one out there with a highest outdoor rating that doesn't break the bank, right?

Or better yet, if any of you see someplace that has a good 'black friday' special for next week, I'm all over it!!
Honestly, my totally unscientific experience over the years is... I can't really tell any difference, from a utility and performance standpoint, between the Noah and Evo-4 materials. Noah is a bit thinner and lighter weight (which means it takes up a bit less room in your trunk, and is a bit easier to deal with when washing) while providing the same or better performance, but that's the only advantage I've ever been able to conjure-up between the two.

It's a coin-flip between the two, whether or not you're willing to spend another $30 bucks for the peace of mind of the top-tier Noah, or save $30 bucks and go with the tried-and-true Evolution-4. They both seem to do the same job to me, out in the weather.

There are "knock-off" (non-Kimberly-Clark) fabrics out there that are considerably cheaper, which our cheap "Mosom" line basically is. But you can really tell the difference, as they are noticeably stiffer and less soft. They all do a job for the money, they're all reasonable values, which is why we offer the choices. But I'd only go the super cheapie Mosom route if I was covering a project or a driver car with driver paint.

We (NPD) don't do Black Friday specials for covers.. Long story, but we've experimented with holiday sales in the past, and for all the increased gross-revenues you get, you lose all of it and more on the reduced margins. It's an exercise in a business shooting oneself in the foot, net-net. Of course, the restoration parts industry is absolutely different than seasonal/traditional holiday purchases and those industries, where Black Friday is already baked into the industry's cake.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will leave my car out on long week-ends and vacation where a garage is not available. I got the Noah. I like it as it is soft to the car, can be lock underneath. You are correct being breathable there are times the car is damp underneath, especially the windshield or upward facing sections. Usually from temperature changes that cause condensation. Got it on sale for about 230.00. Very happy with it.

We tried the HFT popup garage, but in a windstorm the poles bent and the joints shredded. Some people have had luck, we went through two and will not use. Buddy spend about $1,000 for his and he has no complaints, but outside what I needed.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts