Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 215 /60 R15 94H has been my favorite tire that I have had on my car. I have just noticed they are no longer listed on the Cooper Tires website and Discount Tire told me they are being discontinued. Only a few are left in warehouses. I'm thinking about ordering one last set while I can get them.

I kinda like white letter tires, but the options there are poor, so I'm still ruling them out completely. I'll just stick with black wall tires. Other that this Cooper tire I currently have, is the Yokohama Avid Touring S likely the best option? The General Altimax RT43 seem decent and a buddy has them.

I really do not want any of the overseas brand tires like Kumho, Sumitomo, Falken, Hankook, etc.

What is everyone else running?

Please don't suggest Radial TAs, because those are a joke. LOL.. Cooper Cobras aren't much better.

Also, Please do not suggest that only good tires are available in 17s. I'm aware of that but do not want large wheels on my car. Some cars work with that look, but that isn't the look I really prefer on this car.

I guess most tire manufacturers think that classics are only driving to Cars and Coffee.

What is left?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most direct answer is the Avon’s.

Aside from that, I’ve had good luck with Kumho.
Tire Rack only shows 1 available and says special closeout. I haven't really heard too many complaints of that brand. Even though it sounds a little discriminatory, I'm just not sure I can stand seeing that name on my sidewall anyway.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Just know, there are "soft" compounds and there are "hard" compounds. Soft, while "grippy, don't last. "Hard", while less "grippy" will last much longer on the street and may be "slightly" more harsh.
What works circling the "Glen", VIR, SP, or even Auto-X, doesn't hold up so well on the street. My comments are based on experience "circling" those venues.
There will be compromises.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's wrong with BFGs? This is a cruiser and street warrior?
Actually it is a bit of both. BFG TA is garbage. Had them before and the absolutely suck in the rain of even spirited driving. I drive my car a lot and also sometimes drive it hard.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just know, there are "soft" compounds and there are "hard" compounds. Soft, while "grippy, don't last. "Hard", while less "grippy" will last much longer on the street and may be "slightly" more harsh.
What works circling the "Glen", VIR, SP, or even Auto-X, doesn't hold up so well on the street. My comments are based on experience "circling" those venues.
There will be compromises.
That is true. Great point about track versus street. There are plenty of great performing tires that last. I've had them on our 97 Cobra. It just seems that almost nothing for 15s is very good, I'm more than happy with what I have but they are no longer being made.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Actually it is a bit of both. BFG TA is garbage. Had them before and the absolutely suck in the rain of even spirited driving. I drive my car a lot and also sometimes drive it hard.
So, what are your recommendations, for spirited driving in the dry and in the soup? Perhaps, will help the OP make a better informed decision.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Pirelli P6000 are not from overseas like Yokos or Kumho.
I don't think he meant performance the way others mean performance. The CS5 has a 780TW and a T speed rating but an 80K mile warranty will get to the C&C for a lifetime:)

Bridestone makes a fuel saver in the US or get the Generals from south of the border and consider it a UHP.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Pirelli P6000 are not from overseas like Yokos or Kumho.
I don't think he meant performance the way others mean performance. The CS5 has a 780TW and a T speed rating but an 80K mile warranty will get to the C&C for a lifetime:)

Bridestone makes a fuel saver in the US or get the Generals from south of the border and consider it a UHP.
The CS5 Ultra is H rated. The CS5 Grand is T. I'm not convinced a fuel saver tire is going to offer much for performance. Seems counterintuitive.

Yeah, I'm looking for overall performance not track performance. Probably should have made that more clear. The Pirelli tire would probably be awesome but likely not the best option for regular road duty. I have actually considered the possibility of getting a set of A spoke Torque Thrust and a set of those tires later for fun as a second set of tires.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
That is true. Great point about track versus street. There are plenty of great performing tires that last. I've had them on our 97 Cobra. It just seems that almost nothing for 15s is very good, I'm more than happy with what I have but they are no longer being made.
So, you're looking for an "all season" tire? Do you drive your car year 'round or three seasons? How many miles a year? You drive when it rains or only when it's dry? Just don't get too caught up and over think it. Knowing your driving style, habits, and the power (torque) your engine puts to the ground are all things to consider. Sure a harder compound tire will easily "spin/slip" on a wet surface or even on a "dry" with an engine making 350-400 RWTQ, even more so with a low rear ratio. Just more things to consider.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, you're looking for an "all season" tire? Do you drive your car year 'round or three seasons? How many miles a year? You drive when it rains or only when it's dry? Just don't get too caught up and over think it. Knowing your driving style, habits, and the power (torque) your engine puts to the ground are all things to consider. Sure a harder compound tire will easily "spin/slip" on a wet surface or even on a "dry" with an engine making 350-400 RWTQ, even more so with a low rear ratio. Just more things to consider.
Yeah, an all season tire would be what I'm looking for. I drive mine year round, but do drive it less in the winter and lousy weather. I drive it at the same speeds or faster than most of today's cars on the interstate and toll roads etc. It's not a Sunday driver to the ice cream parlor. I drive it the same way I drive our 97 Cobra. I also drive on road trips of a few hundred miles or more, occasionally longer.

I have a 302/306 with aluminum heads that makes about 350 hp mated to a T5 with a Versailles 9 inch with 3.50 traction lock.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Sorry, i didnt catch the "Ultra" part and I meant to type Firestone has the fuel saver. It is H rated and might have a lower TW than the Ultra. At least you could get some of those Treadwarze things for the Firestone part and look pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry, i didnt catch the "Ultra" part and I meant to type Firestone has the fuel saver. It is H rated and might have a lower TW than the Ultra. At least you could get some of those Treadwarze things for the Firestone part and look pretty cool.
That is true about the Firestone font. Might be cool.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts