Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I drive mine year round, but do drive it less in the winter and lousy weather. I drive it at the same speeds or faster than most of today's cars on the interstate and toll roads etc. It's not a Sunday driver to the ice cream parlor. I drive it the same way I drive our 97 Cobra. I also drive on road trips of a few hundred miles or more, occasionally longer.

I have a 302/306 with aluminum heads that makes about 350 hp mated to a T5 with a Versailles 9 inch with 3.50 traction lock.
Ok, Is there another size "up" in the Cooper line that's available? What is your rim width?
Just thinking, if you run the "black" side, then, one of them foreign tire names will work? LOL!
BTW, I'm running 225x60x15 BFGs on 7" rims. Kelsey Hayes disc/drum combo. Car is lowered 1.5-2". Shelby drop, front/rear bars, 4 leaf reverse eye leafs, progressive rate front springs etc. I take no offense to your comment referencing "garbage" as suspension tuning and too many other variables can impact how one arrives at that term. Keep us posted as to your result, it's helpful.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Ok, Is there another size "up" in the Cooper line that's available? What is your rim width?
Just thinking, if you run the "black" side, then, one of them foreign tire names will work? LOL!
BTW, I'm running 225x60x15 BFGs on 7" rims. Kelsey Hayes disc/drum combo. Car is lowered 1.5-2". Shelby drop, front/rear bars, 4 leaf reverse eye leafs, progressive rate front springs etc. I take no offense to your comment referencing "garbage" as suspension tuning and too many other variables can impact how one arrives at that term. Keep us posted as to your result, it's helpful.

I have Magnum 500 in 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing. The car also has the Shelby/Arning Drop and 1 inch lowering springs. It also has manual steering with Opentracker spring perches and idler arm. It has Granada spindles, but I'm not sure that matters. Also 1 inch front sway bar. Had a rear bar but didn't care for it at all. The rear is GT spec springs. Shocks are KYB Excel G. Had Gas Adjust before and they were too stiff. Would love to have Bilstein Street shocks.

I almost considered 225 60 15 but read about front rubbing issues. I do NOT have rolled fenders. Also, it looks like I have very little clearance between the back of the tire and the upper ball joint bulge in the upper control arm. I also do not seem to have much clearance between the tire and the back corner at the front of the front fender.

Do you have BFG Radial TA or the Advantage TA? The Advantage TA or Traction TA used to be good, but I'm not sure it is made anymore.

Even with blackwall I still do not really want a funky name on my tire. Maybe its an OCD thing. Lol.. Although I'm not opposed to Yokohama. I had their YK520 about 9 years ago when I ditched the TAs.

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
With a safe tire shelf life of 8-10 years does it make sense to buy something and let it sit until you need it? That said, I bought a set of the Yokohama Avid's for my '05 Magnum R/T and they have, so far, been awesome. Handle and ride great and wear really well.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
Also posted in your Cooper Cobra thread.

Take the tire of your choice and do this:

Then add this in classic Firestone or Goodyear:

Problem solved!

I have a DA sander and a large quantity of 80 grit pads that you are welcome to use.

·
Registered
20,210 Posts
These are the tires I'm using that @2nd 66 mentioned. I bought Milestars before and have had very good service out of them. They're reasonably priced and they were H speed rated, 135 mph. Also I hate BFG. I haven't had a set in over 30 years. They were garbage back then. Tread wear is 400. I was basically looking for a inexpensive 215/60/15 tire as I wasn't sure how quickly I'd be going to 17's and I NEEDED tires. Over all I'm happy with them.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
No one mentioned. Good Year Eagles. My BFGR TA are old and tired but still a lot of tread depth. They sat inflated on my TTD,s. For years before restore was complete a lot of tire cracking due to age. Tires I believe have a shelf life. I see signs on these Tyres. I drive the car every few months.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
There's nothing racing in a Sportsman S/R tire. It's a modern "performance" street tire, available in hotrod sizes.
Well, maybe its not exactly a racing tire, but is far more of an ultra high performance tire than what I am really looking for and the $214 ea. price puts them out of my budget. I'm also not sure how well they would last as they may be a softer compound and likely have reduced tread wear. Also, am not not sure about their wet road capability. Never seen one of our cars running them and would like to see how they fit on a similar setup. Might consider something like that at a later time.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No one mentioned. Good Year Eagles. My BFGR TA are old and tired but still a lot of tread depth. They sat inflated on my TTD,s. For years before restore was complete a lot of tire cracking due to age. Tires I believe have a shelf life. I see signs on these Tyres. I drive the car every few months.
Years ago I had a set of Goodyear Eagle GT+4 on my car. They were the same tire used on Interceptor Crown Vics at that time. Those were great. I don't think Goodyear has anything like that in this size currently. All I see is Kelly Edge and a winter tire.

Kelly Edge A/S® Tires | Goodyear Tires

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
These are the tires I'm using that @2nd 66 mentioned. I bought Milestars before and have had very good service out of them. They're reasonably priced and they were H speed rated, 135 mph. Also I hate BFG. I haven't had a set in over 30 years. They were garbage back then. Tread wear is 400. I was basically looking for a inexpensive 215/60/15 tire as I wasn't sure how quickly I'd be going to 17's and I NEEDED tires. Over all I'm happy with them.
Those tires don't seem bad, good to know that you're happy with them.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Also posted in your Cooper Cobra thread.

Take the tire of your choice and do this:

Then add this in classic Firestone or Goodyear:

Problem solved!

I have a DA sander and a large quantity of 80 grit pads that you are welcome to use.
That might be a fun thing to do and could turn out really cool, if the right lettering was used.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
LOL at all bad remarks on BFG Radial TA's such as "oh I had them 30 years ago and they were junk" Probobly had the alignment set up for bias ply tires.
I am on my third set of BFG TA's and many, many miles of attending MCA events all across the USA from Canada for the past 20 plus years.
I have had no issues with grip in all sorts of weather including one two day trip back from Georgia pouring rain all the way home.
There are hundreds of classic cars in my area that have the same tire and no complaints.
I have to admit there may be better looking tires but I seriously doubt there are any 15 inch tires out that stand head and shoulders above the BFG's
Get your car aligned to modern radial specs and make sure that the tires are not over 5 years old regardless of what shoes you run on your car.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
LOL at all bad remarks on BFG Radial TA's such as "oh I had them 30 years ago and they were junk" Probobly had the alignment set up for bias ply tires.
I am on my third set of BFG TA's and many, many miles of attending MCA events all across the USA from Canada for the past 20 plus years.
I have had no issues with grip in all sorts of weather including one two day trip back from Georgia pouring rain all the way home.
There are hundreds of classic cars in my area that have the same tire and no complaints.
I have to admit there may be better looking tires but I seriously doubt there are any 15 inch tires out that stand head and shoulders above the BFG's
Get your car aligned to modern radial specs and make sure that the tires are not over 5 years old regardless of what shoes you run on your car.
Well, everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes "grip" , and what they're willing to pay. T/A's are certainly no Michelin PS 4S or Bridgestone RE-71 :)
The 15" size does seriously limit the choices though.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts

These are 225/60/15's that I just got from my local tire shop to play on with the go fast. They were cheap (I don't need them to last as I won't ever wear them out before they will be replaced) and are H rated. Sorry I don't have the front wheels yet, (should be here Friday) and no engine in it anyway to get a good look.

Probably not what you're looking for either but who doesn't like pictures...:sneaky:

Allen

21 - 40 of 55 Posts