Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and would like to know where is the best place to get mustang parts?? I am in need of a new vinyl top and wheel well moldings, I see CJ Pony parts and Dallas Mustang pop up most of the time is one better than the other?? Dallas mustang is much closer to me than CJ Pony parts and both of their prices are comparable but I could probably get parts from DM much sooner. Input appreciated. Its been 38 years since I've owned a Mustang so just a little rusty.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Cj Is hit or miss. I’ve never had problems but have heard horror stories of late. I’m in South West Indiana and have been using Kentucky Mustang a lot lately, Virginia Mustang too. But you can never go wrong with National Parts Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Dallas Mustang is dead and no more....out of business as of this year...they closed their doors.

NPD is the best place. Virginia Classic Mustang is also excellent. CJ's is ok..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I never understood the CJ hate. I've ordered an overwhelming majority of my parts from them and their prices and selection have always been great and their shipping has been quick, too. NPD is good for the really weird/random ones but I find CJ's website much easier to navigate and they have their RPM club.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For me it depends on who has what I need in stock, and the price. I usually stick with NPD or CJJP. I have ordered from Classic Industries but their prices are almost always more than the other 2.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
National Parts Depot around here at VMF, by a simple show of hands.
in addition to NPD, i have also used virginia classic mustang, and autokrafters for mustang parts. all three have always treated me well. one other place that has always done right by me, but they tend to be a bit more expensive than the other places is mustangs plus. one thing about mustangs plus is that they also do a fair amount of R&D work so you can build the mustang you want to build. the others tend to be more about restoration than modification.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I also go with NPD for Mustang parts. For everything suspension related I work with opentracker, steering with Chuckostang and not Mustang related, like gaskets, summit or Rockauto.

Had a couple of orders from CJ too. Worked ok, but I like NPD better (don't ask me why).

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I use primarily NPD, Mustangs Unlimited and Ohio Mustang for restoration specific items. NPD because of quality, MU because it's local for large items and Ohio Mustang for the 71-73 items that no one else carries.

For steering, suspension, electrical, engine parts and typical maintenance items, I use Rock Auto.

·
Registered
663 Posts
NPD is my primary source. Their support is unmatched and their products are pretty darn good quality.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Sometimes the part will dictate the source. I've mostly used CJP & NPD and both have been great.
Had a bad experience with Dallas Mustang earlier this year.
Virginia Mustang staff are great, very friendly and helpful.
They have an exclusive on a Radio Suppressor Capacitor that is connected under the Voltage Regulator.
It has the original Ford P/N and correct stamping for the 66:

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,596 Posts
Sometimes the part will dictate the source. I've mostly used CJP & NPD and both have been great.
Had a bad experience with Dallas Mustang earlier this year.
Virginia Mustang staff are great, very friendly and helpful.
They have an exclusive on a Radio Suppressor Capacitor that is connected under the Voltage Regulator.
It has the original Ford P/N and correct stamping for the 66:
Virginia Mustang is actually providing three different suppressors, correct for 1965, 1966 and 1967-1971. And they wholesale them to competitors, which is awfully nice of them. I just realized that we need to have better photography on our website for them, showing the markings!!

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
565 Posts
New to the forum and would like to know where is the best place to get mustang parts?? I am in need of a new vinyl top and wheel well moldings, I see CJ Pony parts and Dallas Mustang pop up most of the time is one better than the other?? Dallas mustang is much closer to me than CJ Pony parts and both of their prices are comparable but I could probably get parts from DM much sooner. Input appreciated. Its been 38 years since I've owned a Mustang so just a little rusty.
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully your mustang isn't as rusty as you are :wink:.

CJPP seems like they drop ship a lot of parts, so you don't get em real fast, but eventually you'll get 'em. Their sale prices sometimes makes them comparable to National Parts Depot, but NPD usually stocks everything. Also check out Mustang Depot and Mustangs to Fear too. Prices vary so get out there and go shopping, comparing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Initially when I got my '66 a few months back I was on CJ's website constantly. Most stuff came quickly but a couple of items disappeared into a black hole, popping back out with no rhyme or consistency. I've learned that "extended inventory" means the same thing as "we don't have it but will order you one". Based on this site I started ordering from NPD. Their website is terrible, although it's better than RockAuto which looks like it's from the dial up days. The CJ website is more of what you would expect from a modern company. I've also been to the Vegas facility and the folks there were great.
Now I check both for inventory and whoever has the complete batch of parts gets the order. Sometimes pricing is inexplicably different so it's good to check. Also, they could be different grades of parts. A thread here about CJ selling a remanufactured steeling box spooked me into ordering from NPD. If it's something like a Scott Drake part, then it will be the same. I think that the quality may be more solid from NPD but that may be just the echo chamber of this forum. Shipping is also randomly different. Sometimes small parts from one or the other is much higher shipping costs.
There's a couple vintage Mustang specialty places within an hour of me as well. But so far on-line to my door has worked out fine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have ordered sheet metal parts from CJP with no issues. Got the convertible rails in 4 days. Everything I have ordered has been delivered in less than a week and for less than anyone else.

I have also picked up some parts from Classic/Obsolete in OKC and had lunch with a friend while there and the parts I got there even considering gas was cheaper than me ordering them.

A supplier that has been around a long time that I haven't ordered from is MACs and they have decent prices on some parts (best price on torque boxes).

NPD is a very good supplier as they give you a little more info about the parts like which ones are their best quality which most other suppliers do not. However their prices are higher than the competition but you are paying for them to sort through and carry products from the better manufacturers.

The good and bad part of Mustangs is that there are tons and tons of Mustang resto parts resellers so you have to do allot of clicking to find the best deals on parts. But because of the popularity there are allot of different manufacturers some good some not so good. If you are in the middle of the country you have little to choose from but if you are on the east coast there are tons of them and some might be local to you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I had my Mustang 3 years ago, I bought almost everything from CJ, and always felt they were good.

When I got my car back a few months ago, I was excited to see they’d opened a west coast warehouse. However, MOST of the items I’ve tried to order from them recently have been backordered.

The final straw for me was when I called to speak to someone, and the estimate phone wait time was 45 minutes!! I asked their system for a call back, and I was obviously speaking to someone in an Indian call-center.

I can’t believe how far CJ seem to have fallen in the last 3 years.....time to give NPD a try, I think.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
When I had my Mustang 3 years ago, I bought almost everything from CJ, and always felt they were good.

When I got my car back a few months ago, I was excited to see they’d opened a west coast warehouse. However, MOST of the items I’ve tried to order from them recently have been backordered.

The final straw for me was when I called to speak to someone, and the estimate phone wait time was 45 minutes!! I asked their system for a call back, and I was obviously speaking to someone in an Indian call-center.

I can’t believe how far CJ seem to have fallen in the last 3 years.....time to give NPD a try, I think.
NPD has a warehouse near you up in ventura. you can take a day trip to the area and visit that warehouse and save on shipping if you want. or if they dont have the parts in stock, you can order them up there and have them shipped. it also gives you the opportunity to cultivate a relationship with your parts person, in person instead of over the phone.

·
Registered
536 Posts
NPD has a warehouse near you up in ventura. you can take a day trip to the area and visit that warehouse and save on shipping if you want. or if they dont have the parts in stock, you can order them up there and have them shipped. it also gives you the opportunity to cultivate a relationship with your parts person, in person instead of over the phone.
Yeah, but Ventura is a 3 hour drive for me with no traffic.

The last time I drove to Santa Barbara, I think it was more like 4 to 5 hours to Ventura with the typical traffic shenanigans in Los Angeles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts