Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to convert my 67 convertible to a Shelby clone over the winter. Could I please get some feedback on the best parts sources for the clone parts (example trunk lid, taillight panels, taillights, quarter extensions, dynamite sticks, etc. I will probably do the rear this year and then the front next winter. Could you please tell be the best places to buy these items as well as the places to stay away from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott http://classiccars.com/classifieds/images/32/3217-5098lg.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Is that a pic of your convertible? Is it a real GT? If so, I would HIGHLY recommend you leave it stock - it's worth more in top-notch condition as a GT than it will ever be as another clone. You'd be better off building a 6 cylinder into a clone.

If it's not a GT or even a V8 car, then go ahead and clonify it. I'd recommend Branda as I've been treated well by them, but whizco on this forum I've heard has some fiberglass parts that are pretty good too...

-bob

·
4,129 Posts
Do you mean that beautiful vert in the pic? Realize that no matter where you get your fiberglass parts from they will need work to fit properly. Tony Branda would be a good place to start looking. One question though are you going for a 67 clone look or a 68 clone? fd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. Mine is a GTA clone. It is an original V8, Candy Apple Red with Parchment Mustang with Selectaire, and loaded. It just isn't a real GTA. I have been trying to find a good clone, or donor car, but haven't had much luck yet. Branda seems to be the one place most people mention. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
Skip the dynamite sticks too. The 67's didn't have them.
And, if you want to do a really "nobody can tell" clone, make sure you put in all the correct deluxe interior stuff.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't screw up such a beautiful car. I'd start with a lesser car for modifying. Besides that, I'm REALLY sick of clones. Sorry Cloney's, but that's my opinion. Take it for what it is. :p

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
Dynamite sticks: the capacitors that operate the 68 Shelby tailights. IE, turn signal: 3 individual lights on each side, they turn on starting from the inside to out, 1-2-3, Brake lights bothe sides go from inside out 1-2-3. Actually, somebody makes a totally electronic unit so you don't have to worry about them burning out. I've got a 67 so I don't know who that is.
Don't rule out Foolbay, there is a set of glass parts on it right now. If you've got time that is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My clone carries parts from Mustangs Unlimited. DON'T GO THERE! Pay 10% more and buy the fiberglass at Branda. Mustangs Unlimited is the worst stuff I've ever had to live with! Nose had to be cracked in half and cut down, hood has wrong curve at lip and 'spider web' weak spots in the paint, rear spoiler doesn't line up...the car screams "I'm a bad clone of a great original!" That's my two cents worth.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Basically since we just started doing fiberglass less than a year a go, not many know about our product or capability yet. Our fiberglass guy has been working magic with this stuff for many many years, and all I can say is.... Our fiberglass parts is much better than a lot out there "including Branda". I have no problems putting any one of our pieces up next to others, right out of the mold for side by side comparisons. This is how much better I feel ours is.

Prior to us doing fiberglass, I wasn't even going to use fiberglass on my own cars, as I did not want to deal with all of the headaches that usually come along with it. Our fiberglass guy has helped change my mind, because of the quality of his work! Now I'm doing both, my 66 coupe and my 67 vert.

Whom ever you choose, make sure it meets your satisfaction!

Good Luck with your project! As you can see in the photos, I still have a ways to go before I'm finished with this one.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't screw up such a beautiful car. I'd start with a lesser car for modifying. Besides that, I'm REALLY sick of clones.
:: Such anger... ::
Better get used to clones. Real Shelbys were produced in limited numbers and are "desirable". Parts are available to build "better, faster, prettier" cars than the originals for LESS money than buying an original... The result? You WILL continue to see MORE AND MORE clones... :)

To answer the original question - www.deltabaymustang.com and www.cobranda.com have some good parts and carry some of the more unusual items. I'm sure whizco's stuff is excellent quality also (that's the kind of guy HE is), so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from him either - especially fiberglass. I've also bought a lot of items from Virginia Classic, Mustangs Plus and Mustangs Unlimited. Shop around - prices DO vary. :)

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
After reading the replys you have about all the correct places to get fiberglass parts, Cobra automotive only makes a couple of pieces but very good, Branda stuff is also good but sometimes long wait, but IMHO worth it.

I too would consider The Mustang ranch (Whizco's place) I know that he would not put out anything but quaitly products and stands behind everythng they make.

Mark

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Take a drive over to the Columbus Swap Meet Nov. 28th and 29th. Branda will be there. Show up real early before they get busy and they'll be able to talk to you. You'll learn a lot in a short period.
Might even find some used stuff you need at the meet. SWMBO found a 68 GT350 cap for 100 bucks. ::
http://www.unitedfordowners.com/Swapsite/ Site hasn't been updated yet.

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts