Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best place to sell a classic Mustang? I've had it listed on Facebook with minimal traffic and Craigslist seems like it has died off recently. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check out Bring a Trailer -- They frequently have classic Mustangs posted (and sold). If you do not know about BaT, take MOSTLY unusual and interesting cars. You send in a basic description of your car and why it is interesting, and they will either ask for MANY pix plus driving video, OR they will send out s photog to take the pix. Typically, they will have over 100 pix of each car. The auctions run only for one week, and obvservers who happen to be experts in the cars will chime in.
Here is this week's run of cars: https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/

If you are not familiar with the website, check this one out for a 65 Mustang -- ending in about 3 hours; https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ford-mustang-101/

BTW, unlike EBay, the bid you place is THE bid (in other words, it does not bump up an existing bid in $100 increments).
Furthermore, a very good aspect of BaT is that there is no "sniping" at the last second of an auction. Any bid that is placed in the last 2 minutes RESETS the clock for another 2 minutes. I have seen the auctions extend for over 20 more minutes as bidders outbod each other in a more relaxed manner -- and irrespective of computer speed.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would think that depends on how well your car is priced and how fast you want to sell your car. You could go to a consignor but your buyer would be paying an additional 30%. I don't know what the original owner pays. I refuse to to pay that 30% premium when I can look a little longer and find one on my own.

·
Registered
96 Posts
BaT has a buyer's fee of 5%, with a cap at $5000. The seller's fee is $99 to post the car with your own pix, and $350 for them to do the pix. They assist in the write-ups. They want the descriptions to meet a certain standard.
The seller chimes in, real time, on the discussions and questions that are posed, usually hot and heavy during the last few hours of an auction.
You can set a Reserve, and well as drop the reserve during the auction.

I agree that paying someone a handling fee when you buy a car goes against my grain! I recently bought a $30K car at another auction, and the fee was 10% ($3000 extra!!!).
With BaTm however, if the car you are bidding on does not sell, they will give you the seller's email and you can negotiate a post-auction transaction between the two of you, with no fees involved.

I'm planning to put my car on there for a $99 trial run -- but will be in a few months after I have other things sorted out with the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts