Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking into replacing my 65 convertible top.
It should be standard with vinyl and fold down zipper plastic window.

Which producer would you recommend?

1. TMI
2. ACME
3. Scott Drake
4. KEE Auto top
5. ROBBINS AUTO TOP COMPANY

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Original tops came with Brass Zippers on them. All of the companies you mentioned above all come with Plastic Zippers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Plastic Zippers, They are just NOT Original. Tops with Brass Zippers are. Out of all the companies you listed above, I would only go with KEE Auto Tops, and Robbins Auto Tops. The other first three companies you listed pale in comparison when it comes to a Convertible Top and I would not even bother with them. The Convertible Tops that are closest to the Original Tops with the Brass Zippers are made by Electron Top in New York. Thy are the BEST top makers that I know of. If you order one from Electron, Make sure that you tell them that you want a BRASS Zipper installed like Original, otherwise, You will get a Plastic Zipper installed most likely.

I believe Robbins Tops are carried by NPD.

Pics of an Original '65-'66 Ford Top are below...

Electron Top website:

Replacement Convertible Top Manufacturer, convertible tops, rag tops

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Philm3,

I put an EZ On top on my convertible, which I purchased from NPD and installed myself. I was very happy with the quality and the correctness of the details.

When evaluating suggestions on the best type of top, make sure the info you use comes from someone who has experience and is well versed in what they’re telling you. “Google doth not an expert make”.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
That's good that you can order a Brass Zipper through NPD with an EZ-ON Top... EZ-ON are good Tops too. I've owned one. It's good that NPD can facilitate that.

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Keep in mind that the labor to properly install a new topping on an old car is the typically the lion share of the cost. In my experience, an installed top can run nearly $1000 depending on how many frame repairs are needed and the labor rate in your area.
Also keep in mind that many trim shops prefer a particular brand of top due to their quality standards and may either decline the job if you walk in with your own top or decline to warrant the top.
Remember when a shop agrees to take on a job, they own it. They loose money if defective parts supplied by the customer require a return and the shop reputation is on the line.

I have used Robbins Tops in the past and the quality is first rate. Both shops I used recommended Robbins Tops.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got Robbins tops on a 68 and 70. The 70 was installed about 5 years ago, this car is a daily driver and outside year round. Some of the stitches have started to pop around the back window on the 70. The 68 is about 4 years old. It's held up better, but it is garaged half the time. Both tops have glass rear window and luckily the silicone hinge has held up well.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I have an Electron top with a brass zipper and have been very pleased. It was installed in late 2003 and
looks great. But, I do baby it. When it goes down, I place a soft towel in the well where the plastic window folds in. Many times, I'll unzip the window, to reduce the crease folds.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
My God Ken, Your Garage looks like a "Clean Room" at NASA....!!

Just wondering, Do you put on the White hat and White Booties and Hop5 Environmental suit when you go for a Drive..?!???...lol...

I bet that the top always stays up! You don't want to get any dust in that white interior!!! ;)

You weren't kidding when you said that you BABY her!

Tony K.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any thoughts regarding Aro Manufacturing since they were the original supplier and are still in business. They still offer a top with a brass zipper for Mustangs.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Just an FYI....There were about 5 "Original" suppliers to FORD of Original '64.5-'68 Convertible tops....Just a few of them below.. :eek:) Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I replaced the original top with a Kee- its brass zipper- glass window- super nice- I elected to go with cloth instead of the plastic- but its now 8 yrs old. No damage- no issues at all. Still looks like a million bucks- I would definetely use them again.

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
As said above, we offer EZ-On (less expensive, but excellent quality) and Robbins (more expensive, also excellent quality), both with brass zippers..

We don't play with plastic zippers LOL!!

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
My God Ken, Your Garage looks like a "Clean Room" at NASA....!!

Just wondering, Do you put on the White hat and White Booties and Hop5 Environmental suit when you go for a Drive..?!???...lol...

I bet that the top always stays up! You don't want to get any dust in that white interior!!! ;)

You weren't kidding when you said that you BABY her!

Tony K.
Top is up only during the "hottest" of temps.
Anyway, since you asked........LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks eveybody for all the great and informative answers.

I actually have a Robbins Top on my car right now.

My shop put that on but somehow the zipper punctuated holes into it.

I found an agreement with the shop.

I will take care of getting the top and they will take care of labor putting installing it.

Do you have the contact information from Robbins?

How much did you pay for the top from Robbins?

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
Thanks eveybody for all the great and informative answers.

I actually have a Robbins Top on my car right now.

My shop put that on but somehow the zipper punctuated holes into it.

I found an agreement with the shop.

I will take care of getting the top and they will take care of labor putting installing it.

Do you have the contact information from Robbins?

How much did you pay for the top from Robbins?
We carry Robbins tops in-stock, and ship to Germany almost daily, so you might want to allow us to quote you.. Robbins may actually charge you more, both for the top, and for the shipping... Just email our export representative Roy Jensen at [email protected]

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Didn't Robbins used to be in Santa Monica? Manufacturing and install?

Yes. Originally on Lincoln Blvd and later on Olympic. About a dozen years or so ago they moved their facility to Oxnard, CA. Not sure if they have installation capability at their current location.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think someone else mentioned it in one post, but stock is a vinyl material right? It is my understanding that some vendors offer a cloth material which I hear is more robust and looks more modern. Anyone have experience with a cloth top and from which vendor? Thanks. Good thread here.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Yes, Original Stock was vinyl. Though cloth was not original, It is available. I think Robbins makes a Cloth Top and might be sold through NPD. One of the guys in my club put one on his '67 and it looks rather nice... Even though Cloth does not wear and crack like vinyl will eventually do... I think that is is subject to other things like mold, mildew and rot..

You'd have to get some other experiences out there before "jumping" into one.. I would advise..

Tony K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts