Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchasing a fiberglass GT-350 hood for my 65' fastback. I want to use hood pins but also want to be able to use a hood locking mechanism, so do i need to put the hood latch on also? I am worried about theft. I have been looking at the hood from mustangs plus, anyone know the quality of these?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
http://www.cobranda.com or http://www.shelbyparts.com/

You can get them from just about any vendor, but the above two are really picky about their product and only carry what they consider the "best".

Most of the other vendors carry Maier glass, which is not very good in my estimation, nor does it have a metal frame.

G

·
0 Posts
I bought one from Mustangs Plus which they got it from Maier Racing in California. It is the 67 shelby short hood for use on regular Mustangs. I'm not a body man, but I had problems trying to fit it. I finally put it in the corner in the garage and bought a steel hood. I figure I'll put an ad in the paper or something to sell it to someone who has more body skills than I and patience. I would not recommend a hood made by Maier, regardless who sells it. However, I have heard good things about Branda hoods. I don't know who makes his. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Quality and fiberglass are two words that rarely seem to go together!! Part of the problem is perception: I doubt you'll ever find a fiberglass hood (or valance, trunk lid, side scoop, whatever) that fits the way you would expect an OEM piece to fit.

Plan on having to massage your hood once you get it. Also, you may have to cut the scoop opening as well. Plan on using light duty springs, or better yet, don't use any springs at all and go to a prop rod.

I have the hood from Branda and am generally happy with it: I did have to cut the scoop openings and massage it to fit. I tried using light duty springs on it, but even those were too much. I have the pins and am happy with it. I could easily have used the hood latch as well, but didn't see a need for it: the pins do a much better job...

The hoods from Mustangs Plus are probably from Maiers' Racing. I have the Maiers front valance with molded scoop. Didn't fit very well, but it is a stout unit, holding up even under the abuse of a tree branch going under the car (made so much noise I thought I ripped the whole thing off, but just had a little crack in the spoiler...).

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I have one new steel frame,fiberglass hood left in stock for 385.00.This is the good variety with great frame and thick fiberglass.No bubbles in gelcoat and super smooth finish. thanks Matt Ponderosa Mustang
1 850 857 1084

·
Registered
807 Posts
Does anyone make carbon fiber GT350 hoods? The import scene is all about the cf hoods...light weight and much stronger than fiberglass....
If no one does...it's my idea...I said it first!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
get a repro metal hood , get a bond on hood scoop, sturdy,looks good , did i say metal??? dont dick with those hoods that you have to pay an extra 100 bucks for shipping, and then it may not fit, trust me

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Mustangs Plus has had Carbon Kevlar hoods, apron, etc for over a year.
However, deltabaymustang.com has hoods for 150 less than MP (550 for Carbon hood)

BossBill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts