Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are folks doing for rear brake upgrades considering parking brakes? seems the two best options are to either stick with a good rear drum, or go with a newer OEM rear disc brake setup that has the parking brake drum. the Willwood and Baer kits seem to omit parking brakes. the car's a 65 fastback and its a Shelby tribute. performance is the priority

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I just converted the drum brakes on my 64-1/2 to disc and used the LEED brake rear conversion kit. It all went pretty smooth and I have the parking brake working as well. I used all the original cables, etc. I used the CSRP kit for the front and it works great as well, it is well made and kitted perfectly, easy to read and install instructions. Check out their websites. Opentracker Racing set this up for me. If you have any questions John is very helpful and has many years of knowledge to assist you in your suspension and brake upgrades. So far I am very happy with the set-up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Wilwood disk kit I installed on my '66 has parking brake, drum shoes that press on the inside of the rotor. I now realize this isn't all that unusual, but I had never seen one before and was very impressed. And I continue to be impressed with Wilwood in general.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Wilwood disk kit I installed on my '66 has parking brake, drum shoes that press on the inside of the rotor. I now realize this isn't all that unusual, but I had never seen one before and was very impressed. And I continue to be impressed with Wilwood in general.
I have a rear disc brake setup from a '95 Crown Vic that has the drum shoe parking brake. Just need to install it.

A disc brake kit with drum shoe parking brake is the way to go; most OEM rear disc brake systems on upmarket vehicles use them.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have a rear disc brake setup from a '95 Crown Vic that has the drum shoe parking brake. Just need to install it.

A disc brake kit with drum shoe parking brake is the way to go; most OEM rear disc brake systems on upmarket vehicles use them.
So is there a kit available to put the Crown Vic rear brakes on an old Mustang or are you fabbing your own bracket? I guess if you had an 8.8 rear end it would be bolt on.

I agree the little inner drum is the way to go VS that wind back lever thing.

Found an article on the conversion. http://ynned.tripod.com/crown_vic_discs/index.html

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
So is there a kit available to put the Crown Vic rear brakes on an old Mustang or are you fabbing your own bracket? I guess if you had an 8.8 rear end it would be bolt on.

I agree the little inner drum is the way to go VS that wind back lever thing.

Found an article on the conversion. http://ynned.tripod.com/crown_vic_discs/index.html
I wouldn't consider those Crown Vic brakes to be an upgrade. Drum brakes at the rear work pretty well. You have to get very nice rear discs to make any difference and that's only in racing situations.

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
I rarely meet anyone who can fail to lock up the rear brakes on an early Mustang, which means that "performance" isn't a problem. However, moving to a 10 x 2-1/2" brake from the stock 1-3/4" shoes will bring the rears in spec to what Shelby did on the GT-350. There are "loaded" backing plates available, you can "steal" 10 x 2-1/2" backing plates from mid-to-late eighties big Fords, Mercs and Lincolns or from Aerostars.... the Aerostar finned drums are a nice piece. The original parking brake cables hook right to the new stuff.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
So I understand that there is no reason to run rear disk brakes other than to shut up the youngin's at every autocross that seem to be amazed that my car can stop at all with rear drum brakes! Absolutely no need other than the drums look rather puny behind the 17" wheels.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

I don't think it has much to do with "upmarket" vehicles. It's a cheap way for manufacturers to upgrade old platforms to disc brakes. Some cars retain the same drum brake shoes and hardware minus the hydraulics. And they kept the same parking brake system. Which is why it's a good upgrade for any car with a 9" rear end.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
I rarely meet anyone who can fail to lock up the rear brakes on an early Mustang, which means that "performance" isn't a problem. However, moving to a 10 x 2-1/2" brake from the stock 1-3/4" shoes will bring the rears in spec to what Shelby did on the GT-350. There are "loaded" backing plates available, you can "steal" 10 x 2-1/2" backing plates from mid-to-late eighties big Fords, Mercs and Lincolns or from Aerostars.... the Aerostar finned drums are a nice piece. The original parking brake cables hook right to the new stuff.
An excellent point. The big Shelby rear brakes were borrowed from the 390 Fairlane station wagon, and worked very well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts