Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Best replacement for original Magnum 500

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bishop191188 
#1 ·
Starting to look for a set of new wheels for the car I got for wife. The look of the original Magnum 500 is what we are looking for, and the least amount of change to that look. Looking for best quality OEM replacement for that.

Were the original chrome?

Are all new ones chrome?

Also would like to buy somethng that looks good, not some rusted out original piece. This is not a show car so dont care if piece is original, just want to retain look.

Please let me know what you have and how you like it.

This will be for a 69 mach 1.

Thanks

#2 ·
look online at any place that sells rims. they have a copies available that although maybe not exact like OEM it will look fine

#4 ·
Way back when, there were two manufacturers, Wheel Vintiques (using refurbished/original centers) and Specialty Wheel (using all-new components).

But when Tom Sensabaugh passed away (founder of Specialty) 10-15 years ago, Coker Tire bought the company.

And more recently, Coker Tire also bought-up Wheel Vintiques.

So to the best of my knowledge, both companies (and Coker as well, who does wheel/tire packages) are owned by the same umbrella group, and I think they're all selling the same all-new-component Magnum 500.

I'll keep it brief. They're VERY nice, much prettier chrome than Ford ever did.. The only advice I'd give is to make sure you wax the chrome outer rims once per-year to fend off rust.

Ford did Magnum 500's both as painted wheels and as chrome wheels, depending upon year/application. For your purposes (1969 Mach 1), the Magnums were never originally available on Mach 1's anyhow, so it's a moot point, just go with the chrome, as they look best on a Mach 1 IMHO...

#12 ·
No... I think that the old Sensabaugh Magnum tooling is what Coker is producing from, sold throughout all their various businesses. They are nice wheels. And sometimes the balance issues can be attributed to shops that don't have the proper lug-centric fixtures to balance with, or (I've had this happen before) their lug-centric fixture is out-of-dial, not running true..

#13 ·
I called coker yesterday and verified all this information. He said that the coker wheels and wheel vintiques are all now made at the same place. Basically he said same wheel, just a better warranty. Which seems weird at all to make an identical wheel and brand it differently.

Anyway, it is either get those and hope I get a decent set, or now consider the scott drake wheels which are 15 dollars more apiece. But at this point it is about the best product I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.