Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doors of the 65 Fastback I am work8g 9n are both badly rotted on the inside. I plan to order new doors for it.
NPD list doors for $270 that are marked as:

“DOOR SHELL, LH, repro, test for excellent fit”

They also have doors for $425 described as:

“DOOR SHELL, LH, repro, Improved design shell has thicker metal and a reinforced inner side bar running the length of the outer skin”

Does anyone have experience with either of these doors. If they both fit equally well i’ll order the more expensive ones. But if the cheaper one fits better I’ll go with that.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,727 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that the manufacturers of these doors have probably changed several times over the past decade, so you might be best suited asking Rick directly about the pros and cons of each door.

That said, I have experience with the 20125-01A (two of them actually) and the 20124-01A, circa 2011 and 2013. At the time, those also came with the reinforcing bars, though they may not now. Fit is pretty good, but the lines are not quite as crisp as the original doors, although they are in the right place and they line up with the quarters and fenders well. Had to add a little metal to the front and rear of the shells in some places to get them to line up better. The worst was the upper corner where the door meets with the fender - those gaps were not great and had to be fixed. Also, the holes for the window regulators may be just slightly off, causing the windows to bind when you adjust them to fit on the roofline appropriately. You can fix that problem by cutting the structure out of your old doors and comparing it to the new doors and adjusting as needed, since your doors are scrapped anyways.

That information is now 7 to 9 years outdated, so by now some issues may have been fixed or dies may have been changed or whatever. But that's what the situation was at the time that I put those particular doors in my car.

·
Premium Member
11,098 Posts
I collected 9 doors decades ago. I sold all but 2 in the last couple a years. The people that bought them bought repo doors and had spent a fortune having a body shop try to make them fit. If there is any way to repair your doors do it. I was going to sell all my doors but am keeping a pair just in case. I sold my extra pair of front fenders and wish i had kept them just in case. I have an extra burrito just in case-uh-dee-uh.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I got the “New and Improved Doors” And to be hones they fit very good except as Kelly said the lines are not as crisp. Now I can’t tell you if the window regulator support is in the right spot as I have not got there yet.
Also the skins are not welded to the inner structure so you can tweak them very easy to get them to fit better Then weld them in spots to keep them from moving.. Now a buddy of mine got a pair of doors from CJ and to be honest they look exactly the same as the ones I got and also have the inner structure as well and also fit very good with almost the same issues and I believe they were less money on sale.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The unfortunate thing is that the manufacturers of these doors have probably changed several times over the past decade, so you might be best suited asking Rick directly about the pros and cons of each door.

That said, I have experience with the 20125-01A (two of them actually) and the 20124-01A, circa 2011 and 2013. At the time, those also came with the reinforcing bars, though they may not now. Fit is pretty good, but the lines are not quite as crisp as the original doors, although they are in the right place and they line up with the quarters and fenders well. Had to add a little metal to the front and rear of the shells in some places to get them to line up better. The worst was the upper corner where the door meets with the fender - those gaps were not great and had to be fixed. Also, the holes for the window regulators may be just slightly off, causing the windows to bind when you adjust them to fit on the roofline appropriately. You can fix that problem by cutting the structure out of your old doors and comparing it to the new doors and adjusting as needed, since your doors are scrapped anyways.

That information is now 7 to 9 years outdated, so by now some issues may have been fixed or dies may have been changed or whatever. But that's what the situation was at the time that I put those particular doors in my car.
Thanks Kelly I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the “New and Improved Doors” And to be hones they fit very good except as Kelly said the lines are not as crisp. Now I can’t tell you if the window regulator support is in the right spot as I have not got there yet.
Also the skins are not welded to the inner structure so you can tweak them very easy to get them to fit better Then weld them in spots to keep them from moving.. Now a buddy of mine got a pair of doors from CJ and to be honest they look exactly the same as the ones I got and also have the inner structure as well and also fit very good with almost the same issues and I believe they were less money on sale.

View attachment 773712
Thanks those look pretty good. should work well f9r this car. It isn’t a show car, just a family weekend fun car.

I am not surprised about the lines being less crisp. Modern metal is more ductile than the metal of the 60s. It’s why they can pop out dents (paintless dent removal) on modern cars. The metal is more flexible. But that means when you bend it the lines are smoother and not the sharp crisp bend of the older cars. If they made their dies by taking molds of original doors, they would have lost crispness as well.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so we have 1 Vote for the lower price doors and 1 for the higher priced doors. Has anyone tried them both or seen them side by side?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I bought my doors from NPD, and the 'scoop' fit at the quarter panel was excellent.
I did have to do a lot of welding on the leading edge to get a good gap between the new door and original fender and on the bottom of the door, but that was expected.
At the rear, however, no work had to be done.
There aren't a lot of options for new doors, but these are pretty good.

·
Vendor
3,948 Posts
The doors of the 65 Fastback I am work8g 9n are both badly rotted on the inside. I plan to order new doors for it.
NPD list doors for $270 that are marked as:

“DOOR SHELL, LH, repro, test for excellent fit”

They also have doors for $425 described as:

“DOOR SHELL, LH, repro, Improved design shell has thicker metal and a reinforced inner side bar running the length of the outer skin”

Does anyone have experience with either of these doors. If they both fit equally well i’ll order the more expensive ones. But if the cheaper one fits better I’ll go with that.
We've actually been hearing good results from both doors, the cheaper and the more-expensive. Of course, every installation is a bit different.. Some people fitting to a car where the quarters were replaced or fenders reproduction, etc..

The more expensive door is manufactured by Musclecar GT (MGT), a.k.a. "the Dynacorn door".

The cheaper door is manufactured by Golden Legion. It does indeed had an internal side-bar (as-original), it's just not nearly as robust as the MGT design.

A couple years ago, I gave Merv Rego at Classic Creations (long-time Mustang restorer) a pair of the Golden Legion doors to test-install for me. He said that he actually preferred them, they took a bit less work to fit and to assemble. Especially the vent window assemblies, which he said had been a problematic area on the MGT/Dynacorn doors.

And with thicker metal, yes, sometimes you lose a bit of "crispness" and detail in the stamping. That's the trade-off sometimes with this thicker-metal stuff.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We've actually been hearing good results from both doors, the cheaper and the more-expensive. Of course, every installation is a bit different.. Some people fitting to a car where the quarters were replaced or fenders reproduction, etc..

The more expensive door is manufactured by Musclecar GT (MGT), a.k.a. "the Dynacorn door".

The cheaper door is manufactured by Golden Legion. It does indeed had an internal side-bar (as-original), it's just not nearly as robust as the MGT design.

A couple years ago, I gave Merv Rego at Classic Creations (long-time Mustang restorer) a pair of the Golden Legion doors to test-install for me. He said that he actually preferred them, they took a bit less work to fit and to assemble. Especially the vent window assemblies, which he said had been a problematic area on the MGT/Dynacorn doors.

And with thicker metal, yes, sometimes you lose a bit of "crispness" and detail in the stamping. That's the trade-off sometimes with this thicker-metal stuff.

Rick
NPD
Thanks Rick I appreciate your insight. I think I am going to try the GL doors. Sounds like they will work well for this build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts