Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1967 289 auto + 1968 200 3-speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! In your opinion, what´s the best brand repro rocker moldings for 1967-68 Mustang? I´ve tried different makes and been disappointed with everyone, these are my experiences:
The Taiwan made Corvex and Motowell are about 10 mm too short, are fragile, made out of very thin aluminum and get stained by detergents.
The repro moldings from NPD (brand?) are thicker, have a nice finish and correct length but a lousy pressing finish at the ends and are cut so that there´s a gap towards the body at both ends.
The Ford original, left side only available, from NPD is made out of good quality aluminum with nice finish and correct length, but the pressing finish at the ends is horrible.
Can anyone give me a good advice on what brand to buy?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
81 Posts
She’s a Beauty !
Hi! In your opinion, what´s the best brand repro rocker moldings for 1967-68 Mustang? I´ve tried different makes and been disappointed with everyone, these are my experiences:
The Taiwan made Corvex and Motowell are about 10 mm too short, are fragile, made out of very thin aluminum and get stained by detergents.
The repro moldings from NPD (brand?) are thicker, have a nice finish and correct length but a lousy pressing finish at the ends and are cut so that there´s a gap towards the body at both ends.
The Ford original, left side only available, from NPD is made out of good quality aluminum with nice finish and correct length, but the pressing finish at the ends is horrible.
Can anyone give me a good advice on what brand to buy? View attachment 851511
I picked up a set from CJ they were bad, twisted and as slight bend. better than nothing but not much
I thought the original were made out of stainless steel. I could be wrong my son had a 67 18 years ago

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked up a set from CJ they were bad, twisted and as slight bend. better than nothing but not much
I thought the original were made out of stainless steel. I could be wrong my son had a 67 18 years ago

Nick
The originals were made of anodized finish aluminum in a good quality. I purchased N.O.S. ones for my 67 in the early eighties. Still available sold as "original Ford part" for left side but light years away in press finish from the old ones.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
370 Posts
All of the repos are garbage. The cheaper ones are super flimsy aluminum and the more expensive ones are slightly thicker flimsy aluminum but neither one fits worth a damn. I was undecided weather to go with nothing, moldings and GT stripes, GT stripes only or moldings only. I wish I had gone with nothing but I drilled the holes. At least the cheap ones are cheap so I can replace them often. Plus they come real neat heavy cardboard tube that probably cost more than the moldings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of the repos are garbage. The cheaper ones are super flimsy aluminum and the more expensive ones are slightly thicker flimsy aluminum but neither one fits worth a damn. I was undecided weather to go with nothing, moldings and GT stripes, GT stripes only or moldings only. I wish I had gone with nothing but I drilled the holes. At least the cheap ones are cheap so I can replace them often. Plus they come real neat heavy cardboard tube that probably cost more than the moldings.
Thanks! that´s just what I suspected...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts